Official Dinner Thread ~ What's On Your Table? ~ 11/18/2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Made this again, since it was so dang delicious the first time around...

IMG_3309.JPG

Meatball Stroganoff
Egg Noodles (from the dollar store that were awful-but I hate to waste food)
and frozen Peas with SSSSHHHHH, BUTTER and S&P :LOL:

What's On Your Table?

Storytime!

Once upon a time, when my parents were young (this had to be sometime in the 50's), my father - who bragged to his air force buddies that his wife was a wonderful cook - called my mother to tell her he was on the way with a couple of his friends to show off her skills.

Well, after the evening was over, she read him the riot act about surprising her with guests! But back to the story...

She looked in her icebox and cupboard and saw a chub of pork sausage, some macaroni, cans of tomato sauce and tomato soup, and a small can of mushrooms. Not much else. One can of tomato sauce is not enough for a pound of pasta, so she mixed the tomato soup with the tomato sauce, added the browned sausage and the can of mushrooms, and simmered them together for a bit. Cooked the pound of macaroni, drained it, and mixed this all together. It was a big hit! She told us all this story several times, because it was in her nature to repeat herself. This stuff was something we all grew up with; she called it macaroni casserole.

For dinner this evening, I made a slightly modified version of this: I used a medium sized can of mushrooms, twice as large as the small can, and I used egg noodles instead of macaroni. It was quite good.

Saturday was DH's birthday, so I made a special, by request supper. There was Danish, bacon wrapped, meatloaf (the picture is terrible), sweet and sour Danish style red cabbage, Danish style pickled beets, potato wedges roasted with the meatloaf, and coffee cake for dessert. Yes, I'm all pooped out, but it was worth it.

The ugly picture of the meatloaf
Danish mock hare (meatloaf).jpg

The roast potato wedges, Danish style sweet and sour red cabbage
Roast potato wedges, rødkål, and rødbeder.jpg

The plates, etc., including some of the Henkell Trocken (German bubbly)
Stirling's birthday supper, including Henkell.jpg

And finally, the coffee cake
Coffee cake.jpg

Saturday was DH's birthday, so I made a special, by request supper. There was Danish, bacon wrapped, meatloaf (the picture is terrible), sweet and sour Danish style red cabbage, Danish style pickled beets, potato wedges roasted with the meatloaf, and coffee cake for dessert. Yes, I'm all pooped out, but it was worth it.

The ugly picture of the meatloaf
View attachment 66913
The roast potato wedges, Danish style sweet and sour red cabbage
View attachment 66914
The plates, etc., including some of the Henkell Trocken (German bubbly)
View attachment 66915
And finally, the coffee cake
View attachment 66916
Fantastic.

taxy, not the first times I've admired your 'Mock Armadillo'! No, I still have not made it :bash: but will soon! promise - now stop hitting me!
Actually might make it up to take to my brothers - going in a couple of weeks. Always like to bring at least one meal. Thanks for the idea!

Yum! Have you posted the Meatball Stroganoff recipe?
No, I have not, but it's dead simple.
Just make your Stroganoff sauce as you would for any other and add oven roasted Meatballs of your taste (I always have some homemade ones in the freezer), heat through and serve.
OH! I forgot to mention, that I sauté some onions and Trader Joe's Mushroom Medley and then make the sauce from there... I leave out the Sour Cream and add it only to my portion ☝🏼 above is DH's plate...
Very Tasty!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom