One Hit Wonders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm surprised some of you have no use for the pusher on a mandolin/V-Slicer. I always use mine. My fingers remain whole. I've never cut myself using my V-slicer. Washing it is a different story. But the pusher is simple to use and there is virtually no waste. Also, I don't have to put a glove on.

I'm surprised some of you have no use for the pusher on a mandolin/V-Slicer. I always use mine. My fingers remain whole. I've never cut myself using my V-slicer. Washing it is a different story. But the pusher is simple to use and there is virtually no waste. Also, I don't have to put a glove on.

I use the pusher for most stuff too, but sometimes it doesn't work so well for small things like radishes. That's when the glove comes out.

The pusher is kinda useless when you are shredding a large wedge of cabbage. Once I get down to a little bit, I use my chef's knife.

When I bought my last mandolin, I was sooooo careful, and followed all the instructions. Still cut a fingertip off. I had to have it cauterized, as it would not stop bleeding.

CD

The inly non vegetarian mea my wife has includes my fingertips after using the mandolin:LOL:

Truth is, I am extra cautious when using this thing.

And yeah Andy, I hear ya about washing the thing. Thats when my carelessness comes out.

But when all said, Ive done much more damage with my knives than the mandolin cause I get a little too comfortable sometimes with the knives, engage in conversation, watching the news.... next thing I know, part of my finger is missing. Doesnt happen often, but on occasion I do something dumb ( my wife would say I do dumb things more frequently than that). What amazes me is how well the nail, finger tip and even finger prints grow back so well.

Even knives are not safe to use. Just ask my dumb daughter.

She wanted a hot dog on a toasted bun. The buns were in the freezer. I told her to wait a couple of minutes and it would thaw out while her hot dog was cooking. Impatient Nellie decided to take the biggest knife I owned and tried to pry the roll open. Ooops! She sliced the whole palm of her hand wide open. Off to the ER. I stood at her head and had it turned to the side. "I will tell you when he is ready to start stitching your hand up." I am such a good liar. She is carrying on as if she was having open heart surgery without anesthesia.

"Right now he is cleaning out all the bread crumbs." The doctor is stitching away. "Okay sweetheart. He is going to start stitching now." She started yelling bloody murder. "Knock it off! It is all over." After ten days I removed the sutures myself.

A week later she did the very same thing again. Too impatient to wait for the hot dog roll to thaw out.

She got the same doctor in the ER. "Didn't I just sew you up a while ago?"

Last edited:
Addie, tell her to wrap the HD bun in a slightly damp paper towel and microwave it for 20-25 seconds. Easy peasy. I've never cut my hand on a damp paper towel.

Even knives are not safe to use. Just ask my dumb daughter.

She wanted a hot dog on a toasted bun. The buns were in the freezer. I told her to wait a couple of minutes and it would thaw out while her hot dog was cooking. Impatient Nellie decided to take the biggest knife I owned and tried to pry the roll open. Ooops! She sliced the whole palm of her hand wide open. Off to the ER. I stood at her head and had it turned to the side. "I will tell you when he is ready to start stitching your hand up." I am such a good liar. She is carrying on as if she was having open heart surgery without anesthesia.

"Right now he is cleaning out all the bread crumbs." The doctor is stitching away. "Okay sweetheart. He is going to start stitching now." She started yelling bloody murder. "Knock it off! It is all over." After ten days I removed the sutures myself.

A week later she did the very same thing again. Too impatient to wait for the hot dog roll to thaw out.

She got the same doctor in the ER. "Didn't I just sew you up a while ago?"

Well even if she'd manage to pop the bun open with the knife, it's still going to be frozen :LOL:

As for One Hit Wonders, I agree with those who mentioned bread machines. I think I've used mine twice, though. So more than once. But since then, it sits in the storage room gathering dust.

Last edited:
Linda, that's how I was with my bread machine, until I took the "bread" part out of it. These days, I use it only as my hands, letting it do the mixing and kneading with the "dough" cycle. After it's done with the hard work, I take that lovely lump of gooey deliciousness out of the pan, plop it onto my pastry board and do a little kneading and patting, form it into shape, and either put it into a baking pan (I usually use my Bennington Pottery loaf pan, but metal bread/loaf pans work just fine, too), cover, and let rise in a warmish area. When it's done rising, then I bake it. I've also formed the dough into a round loaf, or a long loaf like Italian, and once even made two loaves of French-style bread.

I almost brought my bread machine with us to OH for the holidays. :LOL: Our daughter was a bit disappointed to see it didn't get to make the trip. I can't wait to get back to my bread machine and start making bread again. - except for the part that we'll then be 600+ miles from the kids...:(

Linda, that's how I was with my bread machine, until I took the "bread" part out of it. These days, I use it only as my hands, letting it do the mixing and kneading with the "dough" cycle. After it's done with the hard work, I take that lovely lump of gooey deliciousness out of the pan, plop it onto my pastry board and do a little kneading and patting, form it into shape, and either put it into a baking pan (I usually use my Bennington Pottery loaf pan, but metal bread/loaf pans work just fine, too), cover, and let rise in a warmish area. When it's done rising, then I bake it. I've also formed the dough into a round loaf, or a long loaf like Italian, and once even made two loaves of French-style bread.

I almost brought my bread machine with us to OH for the holidays. :LOL: Our daughter was a bit disappointed to see it didn't get to make the trip. I can't wait to get back to my bread machine and start making bread again. - except for the part that we'll then be 600+ miles from the kids...:(

That's a good idea, letting the machine do the mixing and then taking the dough out and finishing it yourself. And I wouldn't have to worry about trying to dig the mixing paddle out of the loaf of bread once it's baked.

I have a slow cooker that has only been used once or twice. The food was okay, but it didn't seem much of a saving of effort. When we bought it, we figured we would use it for buffets. However, we almost never have guests over now and I haven't had a dinner party in a few years. I always used to do at least a once a year solstice dinner party. I still want to try making Bolas' onion goop with the slow cooker, but if that doesn't happen soon, it's outta here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom