Opening produce bags at the market

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadfix

Chef Extraordinaire
When no one’s looking I stick my finger under the mask to wet my fingertip with saliva so I can easily separate and open the bags in the produce dept.
Anyone else still use their saliva?

I have two methods. One is that I keep the paper towel I use to wipe my cart which is damp. The produce area is just inside the entry of the store, so my paper towels are still moist. Another thing I do is to get to the area of the produce department that sprays the veggies, etc. and wet my fingers there.

Haven't had any challenge with the produce bags.

I used to do that, but not any longer. I do carry around a couple of PTs wet with sterilizing solution in a ziploc, but instead of wetting with that, I just bunch the end of the bag together, then rub it between my palms briskly, and it comes apart.

Think pepper has the right of it. I usually wear latex gloves and that is great for opening the bags. But sometimes I wear poly gloves and those and produce bags were never meant for each other.

we have two types of produce bags, actually. One is straight cut across the top and the other has a fold at each side. That fold is the best place to rub as there are multiple layers that will come apart.

And on the other hand I’ve seen produce bags that open right up with absolutely no effort. Could have been those green bags in the organic section...

I got these at either Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, and also had no trouble with opening. However, I haven't seen them in any of the stores around here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom