Our holiday in Alto Adige, Italian Alps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
We got back Monday night from our10 days up in the north among the mountain, near the border of Switzerland and Austria. It was our second time in this area, we don't seem to be exactly a good luck charm, the weather never cooperates with us and for the most of the time a lot of clouds loomed over us, a couple of days with miserable rain, but all in all we really enjoyed the cool fresh alpine air, great food and breathtaking vista, did some hiking despite the dubious weather and also a 50km bike ride all the way across the Vinschgau Valley (Val Venosta). Even though this is a part of Italy on the map, the atmosphere, the language, the custom and the people are decidedly German (or Austrian), so we even learned a bit of German language as well... one of the most striking things for us, coming from Rome, was everything was so unbelievably neat and tidy, even a public toilet in a train station was spic and span!!
We have eaten a bit too much, farm fresh cheese and butter with lovely breads, apple strudels and other wonderful cakes, special locally limited editions of lindt and milka chocolates, specks, just to name a few... but thanks to all the physical activity Cris even lost 1kg (2lbs)!!
It became a sort of special place for us and we are hoping to make regular returns for holidays!!

We have taken a whole bunch of fabulous pics, I would like to share a few here however you can see many more here as well!!

This is at the top of "Grawand", one of the highest spots above Val Senales, with the altitude of 3256m (about 10000ft). There was snow everywhere and many people were skiing, but we just hiked up to the peak sweating, thus attired this way...

img_310849_0_986e1f502cce60bf00ed8fe06efad521.jpg

This is along the bicycling course through the Vinschgau Valley, the area is famous for fabulous apples, and throughout most of the course was like this, through the wall of apples!!
img_310849_1_982a4c33864f8307937f8c1e92c6bdc0.jpg

Finally here is some of the typical example of the alpine cuisine... enormous servings of kaiserschmarren (somewhere in between rich omelette and pancakes, bitesized) with cranberry comport, and knodel/canederli, bread dumplings of the alps (each the size of a baseball)!!

img_310849_2_bfec26a79a819298ee5f40d2c5d2a04c.jpg

Also there are even more pics of this wonderful place to be seen, our collection from the last summer here!!

It all looks so good!!!And peaceful!!! I'm glad you had a wonderful time in spite of the weather-the only thing we can do about weather is complain!!!It's also nice to see YOU!!!Love and energy, Vicki

lol... I just left you karam on another post... asking how your vacation was.

Glad you had some good times!!

:) Great pictures.I believe the red mushroom is a Fly Agaric very poisonous.They exist at high elevations in the US we have another version in New Mexico at about 1200 feet that is broader and really big just as bad.Good choice to not eat with wild mushrooms that are you are not positive about.

Great pics Licia! Thanks for sharing! I'm sure the pictures don't do enough justice to the place. Boy what I'd give to live in Europe!

Thanks everyone!! Yeah we refused to let the less-than-ideal weather slow us down and had truly a great time, as always with any wonderful holidays, the only down side being it ended too soon!!:-p

And yes, we made a wise decision not to eat the mushroom... there are so many different mushrooms, indeed also gorgeous, delicious ones growing in abundance in this area as well, but with unexperienced eyes, we just could never take any chances! I would love to have an expert with us and go for some wild mushroom hunting!!:-p

licia,
you are just gonna have to stop post all those gorgous pictures, espedially when DH is looking over my shoulder:LOL: Heavens to betsy, the guy now wants to tour Italy next year!!!!! Me on an airplane, or a boat??? :chicken:
All kidding aside, the pictures are beautiful and I really would love to just go sit and stare...The French wine area and Italy have always been a dream of mine.

kadesma:)

Licia, dann können wir ja jetzt auf deutsch reden? :mrgreen:
I'm glad you had wonderful days, despite the weather.. but the Alps are great even in rain ;o)

edit: The mushroom is a "Fliegenpilz" and you better not eat them... they won't kill you but you feel very very miserable afterwards...

next edit :mrgreen: the beetle is a sort of "Marienkäfer", we have lots of them, most common are the red "Sevenpoints" with, as the name says, seven dots on its back... when we where younger we thought trhe amount of dots marks the age of the Marienkäfer.. :)

Last edited:
cara said:
Licia, dann können wir ja jetzt auf deutsch reden? :mrgreen:

Perhaps you talk in German and I reply in Italian, will we be able to understand each other fairly well??:LOL:
However at least I learned to give compliments to the locals when I tasted something nice, by saying "ganz gut" and "lecker"!:rolleyes:

Ohhhh CJ, you are afraid of flying? What a pity... just think about it though... you can ride a car? Then surely you can manage flying... statistically flying is much safer than driving on a california freeway!!:-p If you do manage to travel over here, our welcome light is always on for you guys:) :) :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom