Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Um, a rental we lived in while in transition waiting for our house to be built had an addition built on. Apparently a rat and/or mouse died in the walls. There was DEFINITELY a smell we noticed shortly after we moved in and it took months to go away.

Classic recall by me...this one guy whose small cheap old house had mice. He was a gun shooter and loaded his own ammo. He loaded a lesser charge just for them mice. He said he sat at the kitchen table one night until one of them popped in, then shot him dead in order to avoid the stink of them dying under the floor (by poisoned bait). I asked him if the gun shot was loud. He said he had the TV turned up loud.

Last edited:
Addie's right about the glue traps, or knowing the location of any trap so that it can be removed.

We have lots of mice and rats in our building (at work, I mean) since we are an entire city block that goes several floors below ground. Plus, there's a huge professional kitchen on one of those subterranean floors that not only cooks for the employees in our building but also does some catering.

Our building maintenance guys are constantly trying to exterminate stuff, from huge cockroaches to rats the size of a puppy.

They used to use poisons, but like Addie said, the mice and rats would run off and when they died, the smell was disgusting as they slowly dessicated. It's a very distinctive smell not unlike a morgue.

Not to mention that you later are breathing in the dust of what was once them.

I definitely do not use poison, for the reasons mentioned. Dead rats in the walls ruin the smell of the house for weeks.

I have always had good results with glue traps. You just have to place them where mice and rats like to travel.

Where I live is kind of weird. It is the burbs, and houses here are expensive, but we have lots of critters -- rats, are the most annoying. The coyotes, bobcats and tarantulas are really no big deal. They leave us alone, and don't do any damage.

F--ng rats! They get into the house, and chew on stuff that isn't even food. They chew on wires -- that isn't food!!!

I love nature. I have no problem with wild animals -- as long as they stay outside of my house!!! They stay outside -- we live in peace.

If the critters decide to move into my house, I have a checkbook, and I will use it.

CD

My son Spike was here and I told him about the rat problem. He mentioned "moth balls."

I had completely forgotten about them. That is one smell wild life hates. As a kid, my mother placed them all around the perimeter of the kitchen garden. Not one animal ever got into the little plot. One night we watched out the window as two deer approached the garden and all of a sudden took off like a bat out of hell. We ran outside and watched them head back into the woods at the back of our property.

Not really, bt. I had to have the fan motor replaced in a previous car because of a nesting mouse. Our mechanic told me to put a couple of moth balls in the engine compartment. :huh: Nope, didn't want to have to remove them whenever I fired the van up. Instead, I scattered a couple underneath the cars, put one my each potential entryway into the garage, and rolled a few across the top of the foundation sill. Haven't had a mouse in the garage since...except for the one that hopped into Himself's car when he was doing his astronomer bit down at a farm. The mechanic figured it got stuck and couldn't get out and died in place.

I see what you did there, bucky...lol

Ugh....we have field mice, rats, and rabbits around here, too. That's pretty much why I swore off growing my own container tomatoes on the patio a couple of years ago. They started coming into my back yard in the dead of night and eating all of the tomatoes. Ripe or unripe...they don't care. I had three nice sized patio containers of tomatoes one day, the next morning they were gone.

Last week I opened the blinds on the slider in the early morning and there was a hawk feasting on a rabbit on the lawn. :huh::( There are more houses going up around here, and I'm pretty sure the critters are getting their food where they can.

Andy, I was talking about those spheres made from napthalene and paradichlorobenzene. Anything else ..
MVIMG_20190119_234455525.jpg

Not really, bt. I had to have the fan motor replaced in a previous car because of a nesting mouse. Our mechanic told me to put a couple of moth balls in the engine compartment. :huh: Nope, didn't want to have to remove them whenever I fired the van up. Instead, I scattered a couple underneath the cars, put one my each potential entryway into the garage, and rolled a few across the top of the foundation sill. Haven't had a mouse in the garage since...except for the one that hopped into Himself's car when he was doing his astronomer bit down at a farm. The mechanic figured it got stuck and couldn't get out and died in place.

I bought a Ford Explorer (AKA: Exploder) that a mouse had died in. I got it for a great price. After a couple of months in the sun with the windows open, I sold it for a profit -- once the smell was gone. I know a lot about cars, and had pros for friends. We never found that dead rodent. I just had to wait for it to dry out and stop smelling.

CD

Oh, BTW, I am still hearing the sound of a critter in the attic. If I don't get results by Monday, I may have to call in a pro -- and pay a lot of money for a few minutes of work.

Oh, wait, that's what I do for a living.

Money well spent!

CD

Know I know!

So I went to PT Thursday and she had me do exercise for my stump. Oh Dear God! If you are really there, stop this pain. We talked about getting a prosthetic for me. Part of the talk including the need to build up the muscles in my stump. It is going to be doing most of the work. I swear folks who go into PT work, spend at least one full month studying "Means and Ways To Torture".

So next Thursday I will go back and she has asked for a professional worker who builds and works with patients who need a prosthetic equipment to come down from NH and explain everything to me. For that I am grateful. But if he gives me movements like I did this week, I swear I will kick him in the shin.

They want me to have a muscle like a man who has been working out all his life. They want that one muscle to be HARD. Ha! I know what they really want. They want to see me cry out in horrible pain. Well, I will show them. That muscle will be so hard, it will take any abuse they want to inflict on it. I'll show them I am not made of fluff.

Have to go and take my gabapentin for the pain. I did my morning workout. OUCH! I have to remember to take the gabapentin before I start to exercise. Right now I just want to go and strangle that PT worker. There is no easy way out of all of this. Bite my lip and keep my mouth shut. Just do what I am told to do. That is almost harder to do the than the exercises. GRRRR!

Last edited:
Moth balls?

You must need a lot of them to make any appreciable smell, they're so tiny...

bt, you have to remember that most wild life have a much stronger sense of smell than do humans. And most of them can interpret what they are smelling.

I am furious!! :censored:

Two communities up from us, I found this in the closed Social Media site:

IONS Meeting on Ho'oponopono

Tuesday, January 29th, 6pm to 7:30pm

Ho’oponopono is an easy, effective, Hawaian self-help method for problem-solving, calming anxiety, releasing anger and finding forgiveness. It brings all and everything back into harmony. We’ll be learning a short-form practice that is easy to incorporate into daily affairs. Ho’oponopono can clear difficult, long-standing issues. Hoʻoponopono techniques were traditionally used to create a cooperative relationship among the three parts of the self, subconscious, conscious and super-conscious, which is fundamental to our revolutionary work with The Hidden Brain.

Meeting is free.

INSTITUTE OF NOETIC SCIENCES ("IONS")
www.noetic.org
IONS is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting individual and collective transformation through consciousness research, transformative learning, and engaging a global community in the realization of our human potential. We conduct, advance, and broaden the science of what connects us, reaching new understandings about the nature of reality and our extended capacities. From what we learn, we create real-world tools that empower people to apply conscious awareness in their personal lives, and in healthcare, education, and business.

This rubs me wrong in so many ways! :mad:

Hoʻoponopono
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
Hoʻoponopono (IPA [ho.ʔo.po.no.po.no]) is a Hawaiian practice of reconciliation and forgiveness. The Hawaiian word translates into English simply as correction, with the synonyms manage or supervise, and the antonym careless.[1][2] Similar forgiveness practices are performed on islands throughout the South Pacific, including Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti and New Zealand. Traditional Hoʻoponopono is practiced by Indigenous Hawaiian healers, often within the extended family by a family member. There is also a New Age practice that goes by the same name.

I am offended DEEPLY!!

I want so much to say something on this site, but DH is strongly against this. He said that we have always been very low key and we continue to "fly under the radar" so to speak.
But this is just too much!
How DARE these people, these "Ions" even think to align themselves with my culture and practices, that they know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about!

I need to find a way to release this anger and get past it !!

So I went to PT Thursday and she had me do exercise for my stump. Oh Dear God! If you are really there, stop this pain. We talked about getting a prosthetic for me. Part of the talk including the need to build up the muscles in my stump. It is going to be doing most of the work. I swear folks who go into PT work, spend at least one full month studying "Means and Ways To Torture".

So next Thursday I will go back and she has asked for a professional worker who builds and works with patients who need a prosthetic equipment to come down from NH and explain everything to me. For that I am grateful. But if he gives me movements like I did this week, I swear I will kick him in the shin.

They want me to have a muscle like a man who has been working out all his life. They want that one muscle to be HARD. Ha! I know what they really want. They want to see me cry out in horrible pain. Well, I will show them. That muscle will be so hard, it will take any abuse they want to inflict on it. I'll show them I am not made of fluff.

Have to go and take my gabapentin for the pain. I did my morning workout. OUCH! I have to remember to take the gabapentin before I start to exercise. Right now I just want to go and strangle that PT worker. There is no easy way out of all of this. Bite my lip and keep my mouth shut. Just do what I am told to do. That is almost harder to do the than the exercises. GRRRR!

I too take gabapentin, one a day. I couldn't function without it. Good luck with the pt.

Russ

I am furious!! :censored:

Two communities up from us, I found this in the closed Social Media site:

IONS Meeting on Ho'oponopono

Tuesday, January 29th, 6pm to 7:30pm

Ho’oponopono is an easy, effective, Hawaian self-help method for problem-solving, calming anxiety, releasing anger and finding forgiveness. It brings all and everything back into harmony. We’ll be learning a short-form practice that is easy to incorporate into daily affairs. Ho’oponopono can clear difficult, long-standing issues. Hoʻoponopono techniques were traditionally used to create a cooperative relationship among the three parts of the self, subconscious, conscious and super-conscious, which is fundamental to our revolutionary work with The Hidden Brain.

Meeting is free.

INSTITUTE OF NOETIC SCIENCES ("IONS")
www.noetic.org
IONS is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting individual and collective transformation through consciousness research, transformative learning, and engaging a global community in the realization of our human potential. We conduct, advance, and broaden the science of what connects us, reaching new understandings about the nature of reality and our extended capacities. From what we learn, we create real-world tools that empower people to apply conscious awareness in their personal lives, and in healthcare, education, and business.

This rubs me wrong in so many ways! :mad:

Hoʻoponopono
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
Hoʻoponopono (IPA [ho.ʔo.po.no.po.no]) is a Hawaiian practice of reconciliation and forgiveness. The Hawaiian word translates into English simply as correction, with the synonyms manage or supervise, and the antonym careless.[1][2] Similar forgiveness practices are performed on islands throughout the South Pacific, including Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti and New Zealand. Traditional Hoʻoponopono is practiced by Indigenous Hawaiian healers, often within the extended family by a family member. There is also a New Age practice that goes by the same name.

I am offended DEEPLY!!

I want so much to say something on this site, but DH is strongly against this. He said that we have always been very low key and we continue to "fly under the radar" so to speak.
How DARE these people, these "Ions" even think to align themselves with my culture and practices, that they know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about!

(((Hugs Kgirl))) Breathe. That is unacceptable. Some people feel entitled to steal indigenous culture. I am angry about this too. I'm so tired of this kind of cultural appropriation. I better shut up now before I say something that gets me banned from DC for being too political.

I am offended DEEPLY!!

How dare they. No animal sacrifices? I understand that you Hawaiians take your animal sacrifices seriously, and your practices should not be trivialized by "IONS."

Seriously, don't let the internet idiots drag you down to their level.

BTW, should I cook Monk Seal hot and fast, or low and slow? :chef:

CD ;)

(((Hugs Kgirl))) Breathe. That is unacceptable. Some people feel entitled to steal indigenous culture. I am angry about this too. I'm so tired of this kind of cultural appropriation. I better shut up now before I say something that gets me banned from DC for being too political.

Mahalo, thank you Taxy!
I have been so angry all evening, but I have to let this go.
Part of my culture is letting go
THAT'S the REAL ho'oponopono, let go ... admit to fault, look for absolution, move on! It has NOTHING to do with ones self, but your community, your family, your OHANA!!
I WILL NOT let this sh## affect my family, period.
We have other stuff to deal with... move on! :flowers:
BREATHE!
EXHALE!
I'm good now, thank you

How dare they. No animal sacrifices? I understand that you Hawaiians take your animal sacrifices seriously, and your practices should not be trivialized by "IONS."

Seriously, don't let the internet idiots drag you down to their level.

BTW, should I cook Monk Seal hot and fast, or low and slow? :chef:

CD ;)

OH MY GAWD!!!

Monk Seals are on the CRITICALLY endangered list now ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_monk_seal

GREAT!!
You just depressed me even more!

OH MY GAWD!!!

Monk Seals are on the CRITICALLY endangered list now ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_monk_seal

GREAT!!
You just depressed me even more!

Oh, my bad. Seriously, I was hoping to make you laugh, but I missed that target by a few inches... actually, several feet. :(

I am honestly sorry. If we ever meet, you have my permission to smack me upside the head. Then, we should have a drink... first round is on me.

BTW, thanks for the link. I tossed that monk seal comment out there knowing nothing about them. I learned something new today. I love it when that happens.

CD

I too take gabapentin, one a day. I couldn't function without it. Good luck with the pt.

Russ

I take 50 mg. three times a day. Two capsules at a time. It is mostly now for the ghost pain I get. Did you know that gabapentin is now considered a "Street" drug? Here in Boston, you have to show your ID and sign for it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom