Photobucket Is Holding People's Photos For "Ransom"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Colour me confused... I'm not understanding when someone says they will lose all their pictures when Photobucket drops the trap door.
I would think most people have backups. But if not, I sure wouldn't trust a 3rd-party company to be the only keeper of your photos or documents. Let's say they go out of business next month or next year. Your photos are then gone forever.

Like a lot of people, I use cloud storage for documents and so on. It's a very convenient way to share files with other devices or people. But it shouldn't be the ONLY copy you have.

...Some of you mention loading directly to this site? How? :huh: (in baby terms, svp)

When you select "Post A Reply" and scroll down, you come to a section called "Manage Attachments". Click on that.

Select "Choose Files". A new window opens and you can navigate to where your photos are on your computer. Find the picture you want to upload to DC and select it. You can select a second photo the same way. Then click on "Upload" and the photos will be loaded into your Reply window. Add any text and you're done.

There are other ways but I find this the easiest as it doesn't involve any outside photo storage sites.

I was explaining this thread to my non technical boyfriend so I was telling him like if I had my photos of the porkchops I had made on PB and linked to here, you wouldn't be able to see it anymore without paying 400.00 for your membership or whatever... he said for 400.00 you better be able to smell the porkchops lol, I gotta kick out of that!

Colour me confused... I'm not understanding when someone says they will lose all their pictures when Photobucket drops the trap door.

How did you get your pictures onto Photobucket in the first place?

Are they deleted from your phone and/or camera directly you upload them? Why would you do that?

All my photo's (and recipes) are stored on my computer and even then I do backups.

Some of you mention loading directly to this site? How? :huh: (in baby terms, svp)

All I know is baby terms...

I hook my phone or camera to my laptop... I have phone and camera software on my laptop... It loads automatically to my Windows "Pictures" location... Load pics from there into post here, simply by clicking on "attachments", choose "browse" and pick a pic from the laptop.....

Ross

Last edited:
My biggest gripe is that I've been regularly posting food pictures at DC for the last seven years and everyone one of them will now disappear. I wonder how many there actually are?

I've directly loaded food pictures to Photobucket and then direct linked to a dinner or recipe post on DC, never seeing a need to back food pictures up for any reason.

They mean that pictures in posts on sites like DC will disappear from the posts. So pictures that people have posted in recipes or the dinner thread will be replaced by the one from Photobucket that says you must upgrade in order to link to them from a third-party site (the first party is the poster, the second party is Photobucket and the third party is DC).

I don't have a Photobucket account so can't say for sure, but assume you can still log on to your own account and move (download) all your pics to your own hard drive. Understand that if there are VERY many it would be time-consuming to update all those links.

If you're getting a free product on the internet, you are the product. Companies are going to get their money out of you or disappear. Often they will do both.

Last edited:
I use my smartphone or iPad to take my food photos. And when I'm logged onto DC from one of those devices I can directly attach any of the photos to my posts.

Last edited:
My biggest gripe is that I've been regularly posting food pictures at DC for the last seven years and everyone one of them will now disappear. I wonder how many there actually are?

I've directly loaded food pictures to Photobucket and then direct linked to a dinner or recipe post on DC, never seeing a need to back food pictures up for any reason.

The answer is 235 of my photo's, and countless more from other regular members.

I use my smartphone or iPad to take my food photos. And when I'm logged onto DC from one of those devices I can directly attach any of the photos to my posts.

Spent the last hour fooling with it on my only mobile device, an Amazon Fire HD, which is also my only digital camera. I'm too old or too stoopid or both.

When you select "Post A Reply" and scroll down, you come to a section called "Manage Attachments". Click on that.

OK... about to try this... be prepared and hope I don't crash the site! :blush: :D

Attachments

• DSCN5190.jpg
    DSCN5190.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN5185.jpg
    DSCN5185.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN5144.jpg
    DSCN5144.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 129
OMG!! IT WORKED!!!

I had tried that area once before but obviously didn't get the sequence right! Even this time, thought I had failed, I didn't see the pictures and then I just hit "enter" - it posted and there they were!

THANK YOU ANDY
THANK YOU ANDY
tHANK YOU ANDY

OH... and did I say THANK YOU Andy?

Ha Ha!... Photobucket... you have sooo lost a client/customer! It was such a pain waiting for them to open/upload/download/whatever!

and sorry DC - you are about to be inundated with photo\s from this ancient dragon.

OK, I will try to control myself.... somewhat....

Thanks, Andy. Actually, I can post pictures that are already on my desktop hard drive. It's getting them from the Amazon Fire to the desktop that only seems to work about half the time.

And posting directly from the tablet requires smaller fingers, better eyesight, and more patience than I have.

Attachments

• OpenRange.jpg
    OpenRange.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 93
Thanks, Andy. Actually, I can post pictures that are already on my desktop hard drive. It's getting them from the Amazon Fire to the desktop that only seems to work about half the time...

Now for a word from our sponsor:

We have all Apple products; iPhones, iPad and MacBookAir. Photos synch across devices as I have them set up without any effort on our parts.

Same with all my recipe/tutorial threads. All pictures are gone. I have all my pictures in folders but it's very upsetting that all that time to post step by step pictures/instructions was wasted.

If I could edit my posts I would replace the pictures.

I just uploaded this picture to Postimage. Let's see how it works.

Looks good. Just as good OR better than RansomBucket!!

Last edited:
Now for a word from our sponsor:

We have all Apple products; iPhones, iPad and MacBookAir. Photos synch across devices as I have them set up without any effort on our parts.
Android products do the same thing. I choose not to use that feature because I don't have enough space on my phone and tablet for all the photos I take :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom