Pigs Head Pudding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maidrite

Contest Winner
Are you a risk taker ? Try this :sick: !
Pig's Head :pig: Pudding. Yuck Yuck :dizzy: :dizzy:

Boil head and liver until perfectly done, cut up as for hash. Put it on again in warm water and season highly with butter, pepper, salt, and a little chopped onion.
After well seasoned, put in a baking dish with one egg beaten light. Bake two hours, and lay over hard-boiled eggs sliced, and strips of pastry across the top.

Calf's Head Pudding can be made in the same way. — Mrs. Col. S.

Ken watch out and be nice...... Alix might have this in the pot tomorrow ! :ohmy: :sick:
Here is the website if you dare try it !
http://www.victorianvilla.com/sims-mitchell/local/articles/phsp/020/ :pig:

Mrs. me who will try anything once..Well I need to change my name:LOL: YUKKITY yuk yuk:sick:

kadesma:ROFLMAO:

Just off the top it does not sound all that good, but neither do the recipes for scrapple, haggis, souse, head cheese, black pudding/sausage, all stuff we like to eat.

The recipe, like many of the cookbooks of that era (we have several) are often a bit vague on procedures.

The boiled head would make a gelatin, aspic type of stuff, and I guess it would set up as gelatin type of dish.

It would also add some meat from the cheeks and such, I would imagine.

And so, I guess you would get a sorta souse or head cheese with a bit of liver flavor.

Would certainly give it a try (the boiled eggs turn me off but that is just me, love all eggs except hard boiled).

Think it might work chilled, sliced and served with toast points, maybe sliced dill gherkins, and some diced onions.

Just our take on the dish.

Take care and God bless.

I suppose it's no different to pea and ham soup where you bouil knuckles and bacon bones.

On the subject of intersting offal & cuts of meat I saw something yesterday at a large Asian super market which sort of killed my appetite all day. Now I'm the first to be open minded when it comes to food, and I understand that what might seem odd to one culture is completely common place to another, but...In the fresh meat section I saw a package of milky white sort of gelatinous looking "meat" and printed on the lable were the words "baby pig's uteruses". I swear on my favourite cookbook that I am not making this up, and I really did a double take over those words! Suddenly head and liver pudding sounds good :-p

This may sound gross, but when i was in Italy, we were presented with a whole roasted pig, following the locals advice, i ate the cheeks and even the eyes, It was delicious, think marrow texture and taste, I promise if you didn;t know what you were eating, you would really enjoy it. I was nervous, but as a foodie, i'll try most anything (not to anthony bourdain extent)

OMG am I the only one grossed out by this? * gag* somebody would actually make this?

pig's head in aspic is rather famous in some parts of Germany... but I don't eat anything with this jellything on.. I'm not a cat! :yuk:

but the roasted cheeks from the so called "Spanferkel" are really delicious, good muscular meat... the whole Spanferkel is yummy!

That reminds me of a dish I had in Germany, It was Calf's Head Soup, made with chunks of meat from a calf's head. Some peicies even had little bits of hair on them. Yea, I know it sounds discusting, but hey, so does McDonalds to some people. Its just culture. The Soup had a slight vinegar taste to it. It was actualy really good.

Piccolina, we have also seen uteruses, ?uteri, in one of our Asian markets.

In the same section we saw beef pizzi. We did not know what it was but it was a long cylindrical piece of meat that they had tied in a knot.

I don't know how to say this but they don't come from cows.

No bull.

LOL but true.

Are we talking about tube steak here? :huh:

Back to the Pigshead Pudding, I had an older friend who used to make homemade head cheese. It wasn't so bad on a cracker with a little mustard.

Last edited:
I'm big on trying anything once, but here I have to draw the line. Change the name or something, don't tell me what it is and I will probably try it, but after that appetite pleasing cooking directions... blekkkkkkkk!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom