Polar Bear Day Dinner - Monday 2/27/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lower my thermostat? Surely you jest. I'll lower it as soon as being cold at night doesn't wake me up. -- BTW I use space heaters and heat only occupied areas of my home.

Um, dinner... Undecided yet. Was thinking of going to market and having BLT + egg on bagel, but I have no tomato and it's too cold to drive to the market today! (LOL, gotcha!) :LOL:

Being too lazy to drive for food I'm thinking something with shrimp, maybe Alfredo over spaghetti, or maybe curry. It's early afternoon and I usually don't decide on dinner until it's late enough to drink. (wine)

I always keep a good supply of both cooked and raw frozen shrimp. Think about how many simple recipes you can make with shrimp.

Last edited:
I was so glad we got chicken thighs in the grocery order Saturday. I was able to do one of my "autopilot meals". TB had roasted thighs and potatoes with tomato and cucumber.

I am chewing on the leftover chicken thighs from Saturday with steamed veggies and a couple of pieces of roasted potatoes.

I am not ready to tackle the slicer anytime soon so will probably repurpose the lasagna ingredients tomorrow when I can remove the enormous wrapping on my finger and replace it with a bandaid and glove.

Well I've made an executive decision. I'm too lazy to dive to the market (5 min. away) and shrimp sounds good. In keeping with my laziness I decided to use some of the cooked shrimp, all I gotta do is twist their tails off. Got the bottled Alfredo sauce (recipe: heat shrimp in sauce, throw in cooked spaghetti, stir, pour on plate). All I gotta do is boil water and make garlic bread!

For me... Baked cajun trout, shrimp and clam strips. For SO, stuffed cabbage.

img_1500922_0_df69770df6f564b392ae43d4c0af5dba.jpg

Just getting in from work...gf made some fresh Penne:w00t2:..I'm going to make some Italian sausage Carbonara...I already made a salad..mixed a Bloody Ceasar...sat at the computer...I'll get back in there at some point...

A copykat recipe from a local Mexican restaurant. It's a burrito made with green rice, chihuahua cheese, and a vege combo of poblano peppers, onions, garlic, corn, and a bit of cream. Sauce is made of poblano pepper, onion, garlic, jalapeno, and chicken broth.

picture.php

A condo board meeting and no running water in the kitchen dictates a quick and easy meal tonight. So quick and easy burgers on the grill topped with Hellmanns, provolone, genoa salami, pickled jalapeños, tomatoes and onions.

Bloody Mary with Clamato juice...number two coming up...better get in the kitchen....lol
Ooooohhhh! I need to visit you more often! ;)

A copykat recipe from a local Mexican restaurant. It's a burrito made with green rice, chihuahua cheese, and a vege combo of poblano peppers, onions, garlic, corn, and a bit of cream. Sauce is made of poblano pepper, onion, garlic, jalapeno, and chicken broth.
picture.php
How do you get the chihuahua milk to make the cheese from? :ROFLMAO:

I fried a goose egg and some duck eggs for supper.View attachment 26288
Just eggs? No sides?

Having a pot and pan free dinner. Bone-in chicken thighs are braising in the multicooker with tomatoes and onions, brown rice is in the Zoji rice cooker, and asparagus will be steamed in the microwave.

For those interested in polar bears:

International Polar Bear Day - February 27th! - Polar Bears International

I thought polar bear day was when you got drunk and jumped into freezing cold water. There was no way I was doing that -- besides, it is 70 degrees here.

I support the idea, but lowering my thermostat won't do anything, since my heat and AC are turned off -- like I said, it is 70 degrees here.

However, I do drive a MINI CooperS, so I have a whole lot of fun while maintaining a small carbon footprint.

Lunch today was leftover past salad. Dinner is looking like popcorn. I rented Deepwater Horizon on iTunes, and I'm thinking tonight would be a good movie night.

CD

Broiled marinated flank steak strips (lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, ground ginger, sugar), baked potato, steamed broccoli florets, salad, roll.

Cooking Goddess mentioned the Cuban Piccadillo a couple days ago, so thought I'd make that tonight as it's been a while. Did you actually make it CG?
Dang, that's tasty easy eats!

After the great advice I got on my pasta how much topic, I cooked 1.9 oz of pasta, heated 4-5 oz of cooked shrimp in bottled Alfredo sauce, accessorized with garlic bread, and since I had some Thai basil on hand I started munching a partial leaf with bites of pasta/shrimp and eventually chopped and tossed in some Thai basil. I ate all the shrimp, had some sauce and pasta left over, scraped it into the garbage, came away with a good meal knowing it was a healthy serving size particularly considering I'm trying to eat a reasonable diet (not over-eating so I can seek a bit of weight reduction). Dinner was good and guilt free!

A few comments on Thai basil: it is not at all equivalent to your usual or sweet basil, although distinctly the same family. I had some in my fridge from a recent Thai curry foray, decided to test it. Thai basil--AKA "holy" basil--is relatively stronger in taste, is distinctive from its purple stems and sometimes purple veins in leaves, and has a licorice-like tone to the taste. Ordinary basil would have been better but I used what I had. I think it improved the dish but sweet basil would have been better.

Now I'm motivated to have curried shrimp tomorrow night! Or some other Thai dish suited to Thai basil. :)

Sheesh I wish my local markets carried gailan. Nothing better than a plate of gailan, put a scoop of your Jasmine rice on top, then curry with chopped Thai basil over that! Gailan is also called Chinese broccoli. It is mostly leaves and very few florets unlike ordinary broccoli. Think "spinach."

Last edited:
Nice plating progression, dragn! BTW, is that a Warren Kimble plate?

Cooking Goddess mentioned the Cuban Piccadillo a couple days ago, so thought I'd make that tonight as it's been a while. Did you actually make it CG?...
It's what was for supper at our house, too, Kayelle! Made a full recipe tonight, figuring I could freeze half. I guess it's been a while since we've had it - Himself made sure there wasn't enough to freeze. Oh, well, so much for stashing another meal...

Wowzers! Great pics all, and wonderful sounding dinners this evening. Getting inspired again. :chef:

Dragn....I have to say, I drooled through your dinner pics. :ohmy: :yum: Looks fabulous!

Huevos rancheros for dinner here this evening. Sliced avocado on the side, that didn't make it into the pic. I could have this once a week or more and be a happy camper.

Attachments

• huevos rancheros.jpg
    huevos rancheros.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom