Prep for the Week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pathrunner

Assistant Cook
Today I am going to be spending my day at the Farmer's Market. Pretty much how I decide my menu for the week.

Today I am going to be spending my day at the Farmer's Market. Pretty much how I decide my menu for the week.

Welcome to DC. I wish I could go with you. Unfortunately, anytime I go to a Farmer's Market, I always spend too much. Fresh veggies and fruit generates my saliva glands and everything looks so good. :angel:

I always go there with only $25 and it has to last me for the week. Stops me from spending more than I should.

Hi Pathrunner, and welcome to Discuss Cooking. :flowers:

I have to be careful at the farmers markets too - everything is just so beautiful and tempting. I also try to plan meals around what I bring home. Sometimes it's just a fruit salad. :)

Take a look around here and jump on in!

I did pretty good. 5 onions, 5lbs of tomatoes, 3 heads of lettuce, 2 pounds of mushrooms, a large bunch of baby asparagus, 2 lbs of zuccini, 4 artichokes, and 5lbs of potatoes . Not to mention 3 baskets of strawberries, 2 lbs of apples, and three bunches of bananas. Came to $24.00. The cool thing is, with all the right seasonings in hand, these should easily last my family for a week.

HOLY MOLY! The strawberries cost me $3/pint and the tomatoes alone would be $20 and the apples would be at least $6. Plus I have rarely seen anything else there besides some fruits and tomatoes. Never potatoes or lettuce.

I need to find a Farmer's Market like yours!

I will tell you the key for me and my family is all about timing.

We like to go at the end of the day first off. Those who haven't sold more than half of their offering are always open to a bit of barter. Especially those who offer more than one kind of veggie.

I always do things like "I'll tell you what, I'll give you X amount for both this fruit and that veggie."

My daughters are also insanely cute. So every farmer knows them now by sight. They are always getting free fruit and veggies ninja'd at them. I can't tell you how many times I have turned around to see one of them with a new and random piece of food from one of the boothies who love them.

I also always offer any kind of help in exchange for a little discount. A single person running a stand loves anyone willing to run a quick errand for them, whether it's taking something stinking up the booth to the dumpster, or snagging a drink for them. One time I even managed someone's booth for 30 minutes while they ran to the food court to get something to eat. Of course I've been going for years, so the trust factor is there.

I find that if you are willing to get creative, and are willing to wedge yourself a bit deeper than a simple customer/vendor relationship, your dollars go much farther.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom