REC--Blueberry and Nectarine Buckle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I know this is the wrong season for this recipe, but it's one of my favorites and I wanted to share it with you!

Blueberry and Nectarine Buckle

For the Topping:
¼ c (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
½ c sugar
1/3 c flour
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg

For the batter:
¾ c (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
¾ c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp double-acting baking powder
1 1/3 c flour
½ tsp salt
3 large eggs
2 c blueberries, picked over and rinsed
2 nectarines, pitted and cut into 1” wedges

Optional accompaniment: Whipped cream or ice cream

Make the topping:
In a small bowl blend together butter, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg until the mixture resembles coarse meal, and chill the topping while making the batter.

Make the batter:
Preheat oven to 350F.

In a small bowl with an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar and beat in the vanilla. In a small bowl stir together baking powder, flour, and salt, and beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture alternately with the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the blueberries and nectarines.

Spread the batter in a well-buttered 10x2” round cake pan or a 2qt baking pan (I used an 8” square pan). Sprinkle the topping evenly over the batter and bake the buckle in the middle of a preheated 350F oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean and the topping is crisp and golden.

Serve the buckle with whipped cream or ice cream.

You're right, Damp! Buckles, crisps, pandowdys, and cobblers are all in the same family and are all early American desserts. They're all variations on a theme--essentially being whatever folks could get their hands on in order to make desserts. They always include seasonal fruits. The buckle gets its name from the fact that it's a single-layer cake with a streusel-like topping, which gives it a buckled or crumbled appearance when baked.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom