Sad...RIP Steve Irwin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I first read about it, I was hoping it was a joke. But after reading a little further, it was painfully clear that it was real. I am shocked over this.... and amazed. Such a devistating loss to animal conservation. And such an enjoyable person to watch. The passion he had for animals and the welfare of animals was unmatched. :(

HORRIBLE!!! I feel so bad for his beautiful wife!! Such a young and loving couple and family. He lived his life doing what he loved, though. How many people can say that?
God rest his soul.

This man lived the life he's known since he was a kid. The Gods took him in an undeniably unforseenable way. The ray that got him wasn't considered deadly without a freak event. The ray, had it hit him anywhere else, would not have killed him.

I had a friend who worked at Sea World with the killer whales. He loved, them, respected them, treated them better than anything, one day, one of the whales went nuts and bit him and pulled him under. Luckily, he survived with just a bite. He was back at work a couple weeks later.

Freak accidents happen. Dale Earnhardt, Adam Petty, Kevin Smith, are just three that pop to mind when it comes to unexpected circumstances taking lives. Steve Irwin wasn't doing anything wrong this time, fate just decided it was his time.

I read that his wife didn't even know about it because she was hiking in the wilds of Tanzania.

The world has lost a great conservationist and a great teacher and entertainer. He made learning fun.

Such a tragedy...bless his family.

would anyone be dumb or arrogant enough to?

believe me, i know arrogance. :)

i dunno, i guess i just see this differently than most. yes, he lived his life the way he wanted. but any decent man stops doing that the second he gets married and has kids. they come first. period!

yes, he was a tremendous showman.
educator? yes and no.
the yes part is obvious.
but, do you really think telling children around the world that he has full control of a situation while face to face with a 13 foot prehistoric reptillian predator while holding your infant in one hand, and it's food in the other is education? sure, if you want to lose a few students as they try their hand at it. i've been face to face with far less dangerous animals, and believe me, humans haven't survived or evolved due to their physical prowess. we're intelligent omnivores, but are at the mercy of nature for the most part. in this, he was extremely arrogant.

the real loss here is in his efforts of conservation, and the loss to his wife and kids. now they get to grow up without their daddy, and worse, constantly hearing about how great he was.

in one interview, he mentioned that he would never do anything to hurt his kids. he was very dramatic saying that you could take his businesses away, his zoo, all of his money, but his kids were his first concern.
i guess not. they've just lost half of their world.

in 10 years, i'll bet they wish dad was just a zookeeper, not a daredevil.

it is a sad day for them, and i hope no one even tries to replicate his unbelievable stupidity.

if you don't believe me, stop watching tv and get out into the wilderness, and tell me you're in control.

ok, enough lecture.

r.i.p. steve. i hope your conservationist legacy is what lives on.

Last edited:
I will miss Steve, I rather thought of him as a Friend. He will be missed. I will be praying for his Wife and Children. :(

Jeff Corwin is in Steve's Mold.

pray for steve irwin's family

Such a tragic and unusual event. Of all people for it to happen to! People usually survive stingrays, but for it to be throught the heart....leading to death....and it happened to this notriously animal braveheart. Unusual, weird and certainly tragic for his family. Let us pray for the peace, restoration and healing of his family, in Jesus' name.

I really did like him. At first I thought..."Okay this guy is nuts".
But then I saw he was just an enthusiast doing what he loved
to do more than life itself. My heart really goes out to his wife
Terri, and their kids Bindi, and Bob. He will be missed by millions.

I'm sure Buckytom and I are in the minority opinionwise, but I have to agree with him This man took many foolish chances knowing the danger that lay ahead and knowing that he could be attacked at any time. The name of the show he was filming at the time of his death was "The Ocean's Deadliest." It proved right for him but what on earth did he expect? What are you thinking when you have a family and you put yourself in harm's way? . . Animals are unpredictable, he of all people should have known this.

Last edited:
RIP. He was a man who did what he loved and knew what he was doing. This was definitely a freak accident.

I admire him a lot.

When he met and married his wife, she knew the lifestyle he led. Do you think racecar drivers, stunt people in the movies, Blue Angel pilots, boxers etc, should never marry and have children? There are many dangers in the kitchen. LIFE is a gamble. IMO, I'm sick and tired of the press kicking a man when he's down.

Gotta disagree with Bucky and Drama Queen on this one.

If we follow your logic, there would be no all-volunteer military service, no undercover cops, no miners, no firemen, etc. etc.

what do you say to the guys who eat/drink too much and live a sedentary life but sell insurance (on commission) for a living? Aren't their families in just as much danger?

A friend of mine met Steve Irwin at the bar in Miami Airport. "JEEEZZ!! YOU'RE THE CROCODILE GUY!!! " He shouted, "WHAT A MIRACLE!!!"
Irwin was actually a little embarrassed.

He was a pretty shy, unassuming but extremely dedicated guy who adored working with wildlife. The fact he didn't do guinea pigs and little white mice, but poisonous snakes and prehistoric reptiles makes him all the more remarkable, to me. His TV personality was never arrogant - it was effusive, extravagant, eccentric; but never arrogant.He was very much aware of the risks and out to educate and/or warn us of Darwin's Theory...

As for the risk- taking; I'd far rather watch a Steve Irwin playing with 12ft crocodiles than one of those strange kiddies twisting in the air on a skateboard!:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Steve was an "original" X-Treme Sportsman...

Back
Top Bottom