Saturday Dinner Thread 4/3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Comfort Night !
Boiled Hot Dogs in Buns, Potato "Tots" , Small Beets.........

Hot Dogs and Beets.jpg

We had a grocery delivery today. That usually poops us out. So, we took the easy way. We had smoked salmon on bagels with cream cheese, onion, and capers. Pickles, olives, pickled onions, the last of yesterday's store bought potato salad, and marinated artichokes on the side. Neither one of us had all of the sides.

I made some Navy bean soup today, using some of that ham I butchered yesterday (I bought two sale hams, to stock up for things like soups and jambalaya), and some of the ham stock I made, using a bunch of those scraps and fat. I froze the two main bones of each ham, for later soups, plus all the skins, plus just under 10 lbs (158 oz) of chunks of meat, most in about 1 lb batches, a few 8 oz, or slightly over, and a few 12 oz. All but one of those Foodsaver packs fit into a 2 gal Ziploc - sort of like a puzzle! And I used a bunch of the smaller scraps of meat in that soup tonight.

All of the rest of the scraps and small bones I put in the Instant Pot, and covered with water, added some seasoning (but no salt, of course!), and pressure cooked for 80 minutes, letting it release naturally. I scooped all the meat out with a fine strainer, and the flavor was almost totally gone, so it worked - most was in the broth! I put it on the back porch - cold last night, fortunately - and early this morning, the ¼" or so of fat just peeled right off the top! I got just over 3 quarts of broth, not too salty, surprisingly, so 2 quarts are in the freezer, the other 5 quarts are for today's soup.

The soup was made using Milk Street's quick soak method in the IP - place beans in the pot with 6 c water, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 2 tsp salt, and set for 5 min pressure cook. When done, release pressure, drain, and rinse. On sauté mode in some oil or other fat, cook onions, garlic, or whatever is going in the beans, return the beans, along with liquids, then, either pressure cook them again, to do this fast, or, like I did today, set it on slow cook mode. I sometimes will also put some grain in later on (this time I put in some black quinoa, to thicken it some, and add some nutrition), and also add the ham later on, so all the flavor won't cook out of it.

I also made some cornbread to have with the soup, adding a little chipotle, and some roasted, peeled green chiles.

Cornbread, with a little chipotle and roasted green chiles. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Green chile and chipotle cornbread, cut. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Navy bean soup, with ham and quinoa added towards the end of the cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chocrute garnie. Most of what is left of my small batch sauerkraut, pork belly that had been braised in court bouillon plus Riesling, Craig's homemade bacon, weisswurst, bratwurst and I can't remember what the other sausage was, plus potatoes and onions. Homemade Bushman's bread with butter.

Attachments

• 2021-04-03 18.51.55.jpg
    2021-04-03 18.51.55.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 124
Wow, guys, everything sounds and looks great!

IMG_0385.jpg

I was pretty busy today with reorganizing of our Dry Pantry
out in the finished garage, after a big Costco run last week ... that took all day!!
So knowing this, I planned a simple meal.
I heated a pouch of frozen Zippy's Restaurant (from Honolulu) Chili that
I brought back this time from Las Vegas, a pot of Steamed White Rice,
a pan-seared Vienna® Beef Brand Jumbo Frank,
all topped with diced Sweet White Onions and
shredded Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
DH requested Diamond Bakery Soda Crackers on the side,
also from Hawaii via Vegas!

Dessert, maybe, later on will be Chocolate Chip Cookies from
Ms. Neighbor-Across-The-Street along with a scoop of
Tillamook Old Fashion Vanilla Ice Cream ... that makes for a
two-fer with Tillamook brand :LOL:

Nothing fancy again, just big salads and sandwiches. Himself had a leftover hot dog. I had ham and cheese (with tomato and lettuce) on an Aldi mini brioche roll.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom