Scallops, Roasted Mushrooms, Corn, Ponzu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
I was really happy with this dish. All of the flavors really, really worked well together. We had kind of a busy Friday night and I ended up selling I think 11 or 12 of these. At one point during the rush I had I think 7 or 8 on order sandwiched between 8 or 9 entree tickets. That was fun.

With fresh scallops, lately I've been starting to just get a really good caramelization on one side only, and then just lightly cooking the second side for medium-rare. I like the results better. The mushrooms were pan roasted with olive oil, butter, shallots, and garlic, then added to lightly sauteed sweet corn, then finished with a little sherry vinegar and finely chopped scallions. The sauces are a ponzu beurre blanc (my "go to" sauce), shiso oil, and thai red curry oil.

Caramelized Atlantic Diver Scallops
Warm Roasted Mushroom and Corn Salad, Shiso Essence, Red Curry Oil, Ponzu Beurre Blanc

you did it again, man! tell me about that ponzu sauce.

Ponzu is basically a citrusy soy-dashi based sauce that's used with meats, seafood, and sushi in Japanese cuisine. Mine consists of dashi, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, yuzu juice, sugar, and water. When I'm making the beurre blanc, I add a couple of tablespoons to reduce with the cream. After I emulsify the butter and strain it, I add more ponzu if needed.

Oh man on man, that looks beautiful and delicious! My DH loves scallops and I'm kind of afraid of them. I need to take the plunge, I guess. I've had them at a restaurant in a nasty, cloying white sauce and you take a bite and you get a slimy mouthfeel and grit. Yeah, obviously not well prepared, so hence my fear.

Ironchef, what kind of pan do you use for your scallops? I used to use a technique similar to what you described, heavy caramelization on one side, and very light on the other. We used some heavy 8" black steels, and would lay the scallops in right before the oil began to smoke, and drop the heat to med-high. When they had caramelized on the first side we would remove the pan from heat and turn the scallops and let them sit in there to finish while we sauced the plate and prepared the base for the scallop. It was a good way for us to ensure that we didnt overcook them, and I rather liked the results; you always end up with fantastic looking scallops.

Ironchef, what kind of pan do you use for your scallops? I used to use a technique similar to what you described, heavy caramelization on one side, and very light on the other. We used some heavy 8" black steels, and would lay the scallops in right before the oil began to smoke, and drop the heat to med-high. When they had caramelized on the first side we would remove the pan from heat and turn the scallops and let them sit in there to finish while we sauced the plate and prepared the base for the scallop. It was a good way for us to ensure that we didnt overcook them, and I rather liked the results; you always end up with fantastic looking scallops.

CC, I like to use these particular pans for searing the scallops in:

We have both aluminum (shown) and SS fry pans and I'll use a certain one depending on the protein.

Ponzu is basically a citrusy soy-dashi based sauce that's used with meats, seafood, and sushi in Japanese cuisine. Mine consists of dashi, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, yuzu juice, sugar, and water. When I'm making the beurre blanc, I add a couple of tablespoons to reduce with the cream. After I emulsify the butter and strain it, I add more ponzu if needed.

very nice. thank you!

You know, I'm seriously saving money because just once in my life, I wanna go to your restaurant, IC. Scallops are my favorite food in the world and they seem to be one of your favorite things to prepare. And I'm bringing my camera because I've got to have a pic before I eat it - your dishes are really art on a plate!!!

I too am a huge scallop fan. That looks so delicious. I love the way you present your food, very artistic as Fishers mom mentioned.

I'm one of those that truly believe that you eat with your eyes first, and that not only should food taste good, it should look good too. I'm a huge fan of abstract and surrealist art. Painters like Jackson Pollock and Salvador Dali serve as some of my inspiration for food platings.

The Chef de Cuisine from Alan Wong's (one of the top rated restaurants in Hawaii; Chef Alan has been a judge on Top Chef a few times) came in last night and we did an "impromptu" seven course degustation menu for his table. My special was one of the courses and they really liked it. I think one of the most stressful things for any cook or chef is when someone in the industry is eating your food. We can be some of the most critical diners out there.

I wish i had the talent and creativity you show here, Ironchef ..
everything looks amazing ..
and i am a sucker for scallops ..

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart, IC. I have just recently started on an extremely restricted cardio diet which is also less than 20% fat and nooooo butter or cream, etc. Well, scallops are on my list of "good" foods and happen to be my favorite thing in the world. But most restaurants make them heavy on the butter and rich sauces. So today, since I'm at the coast, I went to the seafood market and got some scallops and made them "ala IronChef" with a few modifications. They were freakin' awesome. I pan seared them in a very hot pan with olive oil, after having scored them like yours. But I made sure they were very dry first and seasoned with salt and pepper. They caramelized beautifully, were perfectly cooked, and my dinner guest said they were the best she had ever eaten!!! BTW, she is a very, very good cook who is brutally honest so I almost passed out when she said that. Thank you, IC, because no one has ever said that to me before and honestly, the scallops were fantastic. It was the best meal I've had in a month (since the diet) and I'm almost giddy with satisfaction.

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart, IC. I have just recently started on an extremely restricted cardio diet which is also less than 20% fat and nooooo butter or cream, etc. Well, scallops are on my list of "good" foods and happen to be my favorite thing in the world. But most restaurants make them heavy on the butter and rich sauces. So today, since I'm at the coast, I went to the seafood market and got some scallops and made them "ala IronChef" with a few modifications. They were freakin' awesome. I pan seared them in a very hot pan with olive oil, after having scored them like yours. But I made sure they were very dry first and seasoned with salt and pepper. They caramelized beautifully, were perfectly cooked, and my dinner guest said they were the best she had ever eaten!!! BTW, she is a very, very good cook who is brutally honest so I almost passed out when she said that. Thank you, IC, because no one has ever said that to me before and honestly, the scallops were fantastic. It was the best meal I've had in a month (since the diet) and I'm almost giddy with satisfaction.

That's really cool, I'm so glad your scallops turned out. The great thing about them is that they're great with flavors from pretty much all types of cuisines. Now that you've got the pan searing technique down, you can really experiment with different sauces. If your diet is okay with fruits, then try incorporating some fruit salsas with the scallops.

---------------- Now playing: "What You Got" by Colby O'Donis ft. Akon via FoxyTunes

I've been making scallops for dinner every week or two lately. I like them done in olive oil and butter and then finished with sherry. My wife has been going crazy for them and they are just delicious. So easy to do too. A bit on the expensive side but I figure it's worth it every now and then. Boy do they make the house smell good too!

I have not been able to get that perfect golden brown though. Mine always end up a slightly darker brown and I'm guessing that's probably from the butter in the high heat right? I'm not using drawn butter, just a big pat of regular butter. I do pat them dry with a paper towel before cooking them.

Back
Top Bottom