Stained fingers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
amber said:
I've never had that happen with apples or potatoes.

Really. Weird. I must do a lot more than other folks. Whenever I make applesauce or do a lot of new potatoes (not peeling, scraping them) it happens.

I buy boxes of surgical gloves at Costco. Usually go through lots in the summer months. When I pick tomatoes, I wear a long sleeved shirt and gloves, I hate that smell from the tomato bushes. If you saw my tomato garden, you'd know why.

GB touched on one of my solutions. I pre-fill my skin nooks and crannies with either oil or soap. If I am digging in the dirt, I will scrape my finger nails over a bar of soap to stuff under my nails with soap. If I do not want soap on what I am handeling, I douse my hands with oil. I also use the tight fitting disposable gloves.

I have never experienced that staining either. Maybe it is a Canadian thing :LOL:

bjcotton I LOVE the smell of my hands after handling my tomato plants. My wife must think I am weird because I sit there and sniff my hands for a while after playing in the garden. OK that is not the ONLY reason she thinks I am weird :)

hand staining

I have friends with smooth skin who do not stain from peeling potatoes and apples. Any of us who rough up our skin from any reason, experience the staining. Anyone who has rough skin on their hands will find that the dead skin bits (no matter how small of an amount) will take on the stain. I presume the fresher layer of skin has natural oils that protect it from stain. This would be why oil is a suggestion for protection from staining. I just find that as much oil as I would need would make my hands too slippery to hold on the potatoes and apples. I have easily damaged skin that is ALWAYS rough and when dry it can really be scratchy to anyone I touch. The Avon silicone is a great suggestion. It would get all over those callouses and stick and be protective. But does silicone make your hands too slippery when trying to peel your potatoes? And does it rub off onto the food?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom