Substitute for cinnamon stick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cindercat

Sous Chef
I have a cranberry sauce recipe that calls for a cinnamon stick in the sauce while it is cooking. I don't have cinnamon sticks. I thought I'd mix a little ground cinnamon into the sugar before adding it so it doesn't get too grainy or clumpy. Do you think this would work? How much do you think I should use?

I would leave it out. Or stop by the store and get some red hots to stir in, about a tablespoon would be about right and they will dissolve.

We always use ground cinnamon when a recipe asks for a cinnamon stick and it always tastes fine :)

The cranberry sauce sounds nice CC :)

I no longer worry about powdered cinnamon or cinnamon sticks. I have a 2oz bottle of cinnamon oil, and one or two drops, yes DROPS, replaces a teaspoon of cinnamon in any recipe. It's pure, it's kosher, there is no alcohol, and it is shelf stable so as long as I keep it tightly covered ans stored in the pantry it will last me for years.

Thanks. I'll start with a small amount and adjust. The recipe is just one bag of cranberries, 1/2 cup sugar, Orange zest & juice of one orange & one cinnamon stick. Cook until berries are popped & sauce is thick -about 20 min.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom