Substitution for feta cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DINO1000

Assistant Cook
I have seen so many recipes that call for feta cheese that look very interesting but I am not a fan of feta.. Is there anything I could use in place of it so as not to miss out on these great looking recipes..Thanks

You may be able substitute ricotta salata (aged ricotta--about 3 months old) for feta, if you can find it. It is also a salty cheese but is not in brine. Or, you could try soaking the feta in water for about 1 hour and then use it. I was researching ricotta salata (or is it salada) cheese the other day and for a substitute, the recommendation was to use feta soaked in water.

it is both the saltiness and the pungent flavor that my family doesnot like. I thought maybe a goats milk cheese could be substituted, but thgought I would ask others for their opinion as to whether this would throw the whole recipe off or do you think it would be ok? I donot want to have a recipe that is a total disaster and have to discard it....

greek salads always look and taste great but always seem to be missing something and I am guessing it is the feta cheese. Do not get me wrong they still are tasty but I thought perhaps the cheese puts it over the top. Various recipes I have seen have feta as a ingredient so I just skip even looking at or even trying them for fear of a disaster with the family...Thanks everyone for all the feed back about this question..Perhaps I will try the soaking of the feta once before I discard any more effort with feta related recipes.

If you can find it, I've found (& LOVE) "barrel" feta, which is the type sold in some deli's & supermarket deli counters - square blocks nestled in brine - infinitely less salty/pungent than packaged feta. In fact, I enjoy it so much that I sometimes buy it online from cheese purveyors. Properly wrapped, lasts a long time in the fridge & is so much nicer - at least in my opinion - than the commercial packaged brands.

If you can find it, I've found (& LOVE) "barrel" feta, which is the type sold in some deli's & supermarket deli counters - square blocks nestled in brine - infinitely less salty/pungent than packaged feta. In fact, I enjoy it so much that I sometimes buy it online from cheese purveyors. Properly wrapped, lasts a long time in the fridge & is so much nicer - at least in my opinion - than the commercial packaged brands.
That's the kind I buy--I get mine at Food Basics...about 1 lb brick of cheese in about 2 cups of brine. I give the brine to the chickens when I finish the cheese--they seem to love it...

thanks everyone who replied to my question I will give these suggestions a try

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom