Sunday's dinner, Oct. 30th, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your recipe sounds wonderful. Would you mind posting it?
Maybe it won't need anything at all except a loaf of fresh baked bread.
I'm just sayin'.. Woke up to a nippy morning..Fall is definitely here.

for my lentils dish: i begin with the soffritto--one largish onion, two carrots and two stalks celery all finely chopped. this gets sauted in evoo (i add duck fat) for about 15 minutes, not allowing to brown. add a one lb. can of diced tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes even better) and cook down slowly for another 15. the lentils, i use a heavy half lb., covered with cold water and several garlic cloves, cooking takes less than 1/2 hour. discard garlic and drain. the sausages get sliced and pan browned. now everything gets combined, a can of broth is added, and allowed to simmer together for an additional 20 or so minutes. taste and add salt and coarse pepper as desired. i like lentils a lot--nice on a cold day....

We are having shrimp and scallop piccata over rice with steamed broccoli.

Zhizara said:
It's chilly, and my heating unit isn't working, so I started a pot of baby lima beans with a couple of large pieces of smoked pork neck bones.

I may have to figure on cooking something else if it doesn't warm up a little. Baby limas cook up as quickly as split peas.

Sounds YUMMY!

Chilli simmering away nicely.

Attachments

• image-1128195223.jpg
    image-1128195223.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 162
Oven Fried chicken thighs and corn bread sticks.

I have to go to the store and see what veggies have good prices before deciding on the veggie for tonight. Broccoli with cheese sauce maybe.

Ma's Sunday is coming together nicely. We will be having grilled tri tips, mashed rutabagas, mashed butternut squash with butter and roasted garlic, brown sugar, salt and pepper, couscous with dry pomegranets,apricots, and toasted almond pieces, ,the last of the tomatoes, with sliced avocados, 8 large artichokes, garlic rolls, chocolate bread pudding for dessert.
kades:)

No wonder Tony Bennett sings the song, because my heart is definitely in San Francisco after this week's PPPC :wub:

Pacanis' Personal Pigskin Challenge week-8... Cioppino!
To tell you the truth, this is one dish I never would have made if not for it being invented in San Francisco and fitting so perfectly with my weekly challenge. I love to cook new things though, think outside my box, and inspite of me not being too keen on any tomato based broths or sauces unless they are poured over pasta or called chili, I went for it. And I am glad I did. When the cod, shrimp, bay scallops, crab, clams, mussels and pieces of tomato were gone, along with the chunk of sour dough bread, I had no problem lifting this bowl to my face and finishing off the delicious, simple broth made from butter, onion, garlic, chicken stock, vermouth, water and various spices. I'll be making this again :chef:

Attachments

• PPPC week-8 San Fran Cioppino.jpg
    PPPC week-8 San Fran Cioppino.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 199
No wonder Tony Bennett sings the song, because my heart is definitely in San Francisco after this week's PPPC :wub:

To tell you the truth, this is one dish I never would have made if not for it being invented in San Francisco and fitting so perfectly with my weekly challenge. I love to cook new things though, think outside my box, and inspite of me not being too keen on any tomato based broths or sauces unless they are poured over pasta or called chili, I went for it. And I am glad I did. When the cod, shrimp, bay scallops, crab, clams, mussels and pieces of tomato were gone, along with the chunk of sour dough bread, I had no problem lifting this bowl to my face and finishing off the delicious, simple broth made from butter, onion, garlic, chicken stock, vermouth, water and various spices. I'll be making this again :chef:

a breathtakingly beautiful array of seafood, pac! it's on my bucket list.:)

vitauta said:
a breathtakingly beautiful array of seafood, pac! it's on my bucket list.:)

What Vit said.

Absolutely gorgeous, Pac! And a great description!

Thank you very much, Vit, Dawg.

I would rate this dish higher than a clambake. You don't have all those "fillers" like corn and potatoes :LOL:

That looks great, except for the clams and mussels. I love all the other seafood you have in your bowl.

going to finish up the chicken soup, not really much time to cook, have halloween baking to do. am going to make brown rice pudding for dessert. see what you guys started? found recipe for microwave. it is perfect for making puddings and custards.

I make another burger with the hamburger I had thawed. I cooked it like a thick steak with bacon and smoked provolone, and made a dipping sauce with feta cheese, ranch dressing and horseradish. I'm stuffed! and I have a small serving left for breakfast with a couple of fried eggs.

Thanks, VB.
I love mussels, clams too, for their texture, but I really love the sweetness of mussels. Plus you get that liquor releasing into the broth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom