Supper on this first evening of the weekend, Friday, 2023 August 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those are all great methods taxy, truly and thanks, great article. Unfortunately great for everyone but me. Done them all, same results which was why I went back to cans. :LOL:
So now I will try with the slow cooker and see if I am more successful.

Those are all great methods taxy, truly and thanks, great article. Unfortunately great for everyone but me. Done them all, same results which was why I went back to cans. :LOL:
So now I will try with the slow cooker and see if I am more successful.
Maybe the beans were too old. I've certainly had that problem. I have read that they are old after 6 months. I usually just use canned beans too. Much easier.

BTW, did you notice the can size in that recipe was in grams? They sell canned beans by weight in the US and Europe too. But, here in Canada, we just have to be different. We get canned beans sold in ml. Aargh! I found a page that lists conversions of beans by weight and by US volume measure.

This beans conversation is reminding me of my chickpea situation when trying to make falafels! LOL (Never did solve that one - now I just buy a falafel kit which isn't quite as good as the real thing, but a damn site better than the messes I was making!)

Meanwhile this evening, as usual it was a pizza. Ollie and I have this down to an art. He makes the dough - using a mix. I make the toppings - and I should say straight away, this is not authentic Italian pizza! I like to call it an Irish pizza! But it didn't go so well this evening.

Ollie put the base mix in the mixer (literally this involves pouring the flour/yeast into the mixer and adding warm water). I was chopping vegetables when he said "this doesn't look right". And indeed it didn't. Very strange texture in the mixing bowl - all squirly blobs instead of the usual dough. He took it out and worked it and made a base.

I normally use pepperoni slices from Lidl, but today I used Sainsbury's pepperoni.

So, what with the strange dough and the different pepperoni, Ollie announced that he didn't like it.

I thought it was okay. But Lidl definitely gets my vote for pizza style pepperoni slices!

This beans conversation is reminding me of my chickpea situation when trying to make falafels! LOL (Never did solve that one - now I just buy a falafel kit which isn't quite as good as the real thing, but a damn site better than the messes I was making!)

Meanwhile this evening, as usual it was a pizza. Ollie and I have this down to an art. He makes the dough - using a mix. I make the toppings - and I should say straight away, this is not authentic Italian pizza! I like to call it an Irish pizza! But it didn't go so well this evening.

Ollie put the base mix in the mixer (literally this involves pouring the flour/yeast into the mixer and adding warm water). I was chopping vegetables when he said "this doesn't look right". And indeed it didn't. Very strange texture in the mixing bowl - all squirly blobs instead of the usual dough. He took it out and worked it and made a base.
Sorry to hear about your supper.

The first minute or two of this video might explain what happened with your falafel. It also offers a recipe that works.

I normally use pepperoni slices from Lidl, but today I used Sainsbury's pepperoni.

So, what with the strange dough and the different pepperoni, Ollie announced that he didn't like it.

I thought it was okay. But Lidl definitely gets my vote for pizza style pepperoni slices!

Sorry to hear about your supper.

The first minute or two of this video might explain what happened with your falafel. It also offers a recipe that works.

I am 100% trying this Taxy. Probably going to be next weekend, but I would love to crack the problem of falafels. Thanks so much for this!

taxy, it was quite a while ago but pretty sure the beans were always pretty fresh, back then.
Now of course, they are several years old. I found a couple of their birthday candles hiding behind their packaging.

No, never noticed the difference in can sizes. Hmmm, something to think about.

taxy, it was quite a while ago but pretty sure the beans were always pretty fresh, back then.
Now of course, they are several years old. I found a couple of their birthday candles hiding behind their packaging.

No, never noticed the difference in can sizes. Hmmm, something to think about.
And it doesn't help that in the US an ounce could be a volume measure or a weight measure. Sure, the cans say "NET WT 15.5 OZ" or some other amount, which is clear, but most recipes just say "One 15½ oz can". How was I supposed to guess that the can of beans was by weight when our cans of beans are in millilitres? It's seriously confusing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom