Tagliatelle with SUGO DI CARNE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This dish is great with Tagliatelle, but can be made with ziti, rigatoni, shells, hearty pasta tube, preferably with ridges, cavatapi, any tub, ular, or extruded pasta (spaghetti, Spaghettoni, or a ribbon pasta like fettuccini). Sugo Di Carnie is similar to a good marinara, but with plenty of ground beef. It usually starts with a sofrito, and builds from there. The classic is simply seasoned with basil, salt, and pepper. I like to add other herbs as well. Here's how I make it:

Sofrito:
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup sliced, peeled carrot
1/4 cup minced onion ( you can rustic chop if you enjoy onion pieces, as I do)
3 cloves freshly minced garlic

Meat:
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb.s hot Italian bulk sausage
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. coarse grind black pepper

Tomato:
2 cups grape, or cherry tomatoes
6 oz. can tomato paste

Herbs:
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
2 bay leaves

Pasta:
Your choice of pasta shape, enough for 6 people (12 oz. before cooking)
6 cups water
1 tbs kosher salt
1 tbs. olive oil

Add 2 tbs. cooking oil, or clarified butter. Add the sofrito veggies and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently Add the garlic, and tomato paste, and cook for 2 minutes more. Place ground beef into the pan, with the salt, pepper, and herbs. Brown stirring frequently. Leave the meat somewhat chunky. Remove from heat and cover.

Place fresh tomatoes into a Dutch oven, cover, and simmer over low heat for 2 hours. Use emersion blender to create a smooth sauce. Add meat mixture to the sauce. Simmer 20 minutes more.

Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Add the pasta water to the sauce. Dress the pasta with the extra virgin olive oil. Serve pasta, and Sugo
Di Carne separately with crusty garlic bread, and grated hard, Italian Cheese. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom