Tasteless vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Georgevan - I hear you. Eons ago all my vegies were frozen or canned. Only time I did fresh was for special holiday meals - just like everyone else in my era and circumstance. You can still rescue them.

Aunt Bea and CG's answers are the easiest to apply when a habit is so ingrown that's it's difficult to change. Use a saute/frying any flat wide pan, your tiny bit of water and butter.

It was the overcooking in the boiling water that was sort of drowning them. Also temperature should be considered. Start off hot to get things going but as soon as you see some action, lower the temperature a bit. They won't cook any faster at a high heat than they do at a low heat. After all, most frozen vegies are already cooked, you are just defrosting and reheating them in that pan.

Please let us know if your vegies come out a bit tastier now.
Thanks for the advice, I will try it.

Also, you might like to check out the vegetable subforum here - lots of great discussion and ideas for recipes using different vegetables 🫠

Salt

I boil fresh vegetables all the time. It’s a great way to cook them. If Thomas Keller boils them (with instructions) so will I.

I also eat frozen veggies many times a week. I nuke them for 2 min or so.

Back to the original question, the answer is salt.

Last edited:
After all, most frozen vegies are already cooked, you are just defrosting and reheating them in that pan.
Are you sure? I thought most frozen veggies were blanched, not cooked. Of course if it comes in a sauce, it's probably already cooked. But, I agree that frozen veggies don't need much cooking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom