Thanksgiving meals, Thursday, November 23, 2023?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Porchetta style turkey breast from either ATK or Cook's Country, Ina Garten's fennel/onion/gruyere/potato gratin, Craig's Brussel sprouts. Pecan pie for dessert later.
20231123_181446.jpg

Well, I have the chicken breast in the crock pot. More fool me, I forgot to look at the recipe and didn't realize it was a crock pot recipe until 3pm. But the recipe calls for 4 pounds of chicken thighs cooking in 4 hours and I have just lonely little chicken breast, so maybe that will cook faster.

The honey butter is made and now I'm going to check how long the potatoes have to cook.

What I WANT is a cook, a dishwasher, and a maid. What I'm getting is me, so I guess I'm eating at 7 tonight.

In terms of meals, I forgot that it's Thanksgiving in the US. We just had a breakfast casserole for supper, beaten eggs with leftover, cooked potatoes, scallions, pickled jalapeno, and shredded cheddar. Went in the oven for about 25 minutes. There was a little oops with setting the temperature too low, but corrected after the first 10 minutes. It should have been done quicker. It was tasty.

In terms of meals, I forgot that it's Thanksgiving in the US.
I'd like to forget it's Thanksgiving. My neighbors invited me over and I politely declined. How do you tell someone nicely that you don't like any Thanksgiving foods like green beans, cranberries, stuffing, pumpkin pie, sweet potatoes, and barely tolerate mashed potatoes unless there's something in them like bacon and cheese?

Layered stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and gravy, and broccoli, then chocolate pie, and crustless pumpkin pie.
It turned out better than we imagined, again. We have a lot to be thankful for.

I
I'd like to forget it's Thanksgiving. My neighbors invited me over and I politely declined. How do you tell someone nicely that you don't like any Thanksgiving foods like green beans, cranberries, stuffing, pumpkin pie, sweet potatoes, and barely tolerate mashed potatoes unless there's something in them like bacon and cheese?
I'm with you on most of that. I do like a little mashed potatoes with butter and salt (but everything's better with bacon and cheese) and can tolerate green beans, but the rest i can do without. I usually fix my own plate or tell people my food preferences as I don't want to be wasteful. Nothing wrong with that.

Well, my dinner was a bust. I put too much thyme and blue cheese on the potatoes. I found out that with biscuits that already have a flavor (Hawaiian rolls), adding honey butter was a little over the top, and this is my third try with a combo of soy sauce and honey ( I made a honey sesame breast of chicken this time) and it still doesn't taste good to me. It sure looked good but there must be something about that combo that just doesn't meld in my mouth. So I guess all recipes now that call for soy sauce and honey aren't going to happen.

But I will eat the potatoes and maybe use the Hawaiian rolls for sliders with ham and cheese. I also found out I really don't eat that much to have three things at a meal. I'm used to eating one or at the most two things per meal. Anything more than that and I tend to slow down while food gets cold. I'm not eating that big of portions, either. I ate half a small chicken breast, a roll, and a ladle's worth of potatoes and I was done.

Well, tomorrow is another day and another pan to wash. LOL

Last edited:
I'm with you on most of that. I do like a little mashed potatoes with butter and salt (but everything's better with bacon and cheese) and can tolerate green beans, but the rest i can do without. I usually fix my own plate or tell people my food preferences as I don't want to be wasteful. Nothing wrong with that.
I just didn't want to embarrass my neighbors. My plate would have had maybe a little bit of turkey on it. LOL Plus the other thing is, my neighbors built their house over their garage since it's a vacation house. The stairs don't have railings on them and I don't know if they're planning to put them in. But when I go over to turn on their lights and such before they come up, I have to literally crawl up the stairs because I can't climb them without railings. And I'm terrified of falling on them. So I didn't want to go over and make a spectacle of myself spidering up the stairs.

Frank's parents are visiting this holiday. I stuck with my plan for Thanksgiving. Frank's dad loves jellied cranberry sauce and canned asparagus, so ensured we had that for him. He also likes dressing without cornbread, so we ended up with two kinds of dressing. Turkey, dumplings, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, dressings, olives, pickles, Thanksgiving salad, whole cranberry sauce with orange, and dessert was homemade apple pie with homemade vanilla ice cream. Sweet tea to drink.

Decor was a bit marred with Amazon deliveries. :LOL:

20231123_165111.jpg
20231123_165137.jpg

I asked the Walmart shopper for a 10 pound turkey. I got a 20 pound turkey. I will be eating turkey until the end of the year! The meal was turkey; apple, sausage, fennel and cornbread sauffing; mashed potatoes; sweet potatoes; turkey gravy; sufferin' succotash; Portugeuse sweet dinner rolls; and a 2022 San Cisalto Pinot Grigio, Puglia Italia.

I deconstructed the turkey, placed the stuffing in the bottom of the roasting pan, piled all the turkey parts on top of the stuffing, and roasted it in a 350 oven with a probe thermometer stuck into the breast, set for 165 degrees. Because the turkey parts drip their juices, it is technically a stuffing, not a dressing.

Everything came out as planned and I have already removed all the meat from the carcass, packed up all the leftover sides, and stored them temporarily in the fridge until I can divide them up for either short term or long term storage. I have spent 12 hours of the last 18 on my feet in the kitchen, so my back is going to ache for the next three days, at least.

I asked the Walmart shopper for a 10 pound turkey. I got a 20 pound turkey. I will be eating turkey until the end of the year! The meal was turkey; apple, sausage, fennel and cornbread sauffing; mashed potatoes; sweet potatoes; turkey gravy; sufferin' succotash; Portugeuse sweet dinner rolls; and a 2022 San Cisalto Pinot Grigio, Puglia Italia.

I deconstructed the turkey, placed the stuffing in the bottom of the roasting pan, piled all the turkey parts on top of the stuffing, and roasted it in a 350 oven with a probe thermometer stuck into the breast, set for 165 degrees. Because the turkey parts drip their juices, it is technically a stuffing, not a dressing.

Everything came out as planned and I have already removed all the meat from the carcass, packed up all the leftover sides, and stored them temporarily in the fridge until I can divide them up for either short term or long term storage. I have spent 12 hours of the last 18 on my feet in the kitchen, so my back is going to ache for the next three days, at least.
Deconstructing a turkey might be beyond my skills, but this sounds like a brilliant idea. I'm not much good at carving; while my turkeys have always tasted very good they have also been kind of a mess. I would have drumsticks, breasts, wings and a huge pile of miscellaneous pieces. Would there be some kind of order in which you placed the turkey?

Sweet potato casserole, green beans casserole, stuffing, glazed carrots, turkey, homemade cranberry-orange relish (uncooked), home-made whole berry cranberry sauce, steamed Brussels sprouts creamed pearl onions, mashed yellow potatoes, and homemade gravy.

thanksgiving_dinner_112323_1_IMG_1997.jpg

Apple pie with homemade whipped cream (I love Trader Joe's Vanilla Bean Paste).
apple_pie_slice_112323_1_IMG_2001.jpg

Would there be some kind of order in which you placed the turkey?
dr morbius, I would remove the two breasts whole, then slice them across so each piece has some skin.
Thighs, deboned and sliced length or crosswise. Legs, meat pulled off, tendons and gristle removed, leave in chunks as pulled off - but serving size.

How they are arranged on the platter, generally I would put the breast down the middle, dark meat around the side edges and decorations of pickles or something on the ends.

Deconstructing a turkey might be beyond my skills, but this sounds like a brilliant idea. I'm not much good at carving; while my turkeys have always tasted very good they have also been kind of a mess. I would have drumsticks, breasts, wings and a huge pile of miscellaneous pieces. Would there be some kind of order in which you placed the turkey?
If you don't trust yourself to remove the legs and wings undamaged, buy a fresh turkey and have your butcher do it.

Order: Stuffing in the bottom center of the roasting pan, breast centered on top of the stuffing, legs on each side, wings front and back, and make sure all of the stuffing in tucked in underneath. You will need to precook the breast by itself @350 for 20 minutes because the dark meat cooks faster than the white meat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom