That time of year again. Homemade Apple Cider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
My wife was excited that Apple picking in our area started last weekend. We were Abe to squeeze it in between a brief vacation, a bomb threat. leaving us stranded on a ferry in the middle of the Long Island sound, a cousins funeral and my dad being admitted to the hospital ( he is now out and doing well). The apples had to sit for almost a week, but luckily they held up. We dragged the cider press out of hibernation, cleaned. it off, and made few gallons of cider. With the remains of the pressed apple pieces, I will make apple cider vinegar.

Attachments

• cider 1.png
    cider 1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • cideer 2.png
    cideer 2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • cider 3 .png
    cider 3 .png
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
I wanna hear all about it, again.
I'm not making any this fall. I have a lot stored.
How much apple scrap/water/sugar (opt) volume are you starting with?

We had quite a bit of apples, therefore, quite a bit of scraps left over. In the past we used to press a certain yellow apple that we really like to pick/eat, but we found that the Honeycrisp is a softer, juicier, more pressable apple, so we stuck with those ( and a few ugly home grown yellow ones from our tree.
Once pressed, we took the. scraps and filled 3 gallon jars about 3/4 the way. Made a solution of sugar/ water ( 1 Tbs of sugar per cup of water). We then filled the jars almost all the way to the top. As expected, the scraps both hydrated and floated almost all the way to the top, and it's important to keep the scraps submerged to prevent mold and spoilage. Some of the apples we saved to eat were huge, so I cut one up into large slices , and was able to put the slice on top of the scraps, and used some wooden skewers to help press everything under the sugar water, leaving no apple parts ( including the covering slices ) exposed. I've covered the jars in the past with either cheese cloth or a coffee filter, secured with a rubber band. The recipe calls to stir it every few days. I usually poke around a bit with a skewer, but not too much, as it causes the solids to float to the top.
Now it's the waiting game. Have to let it sit for about 2 weeks, then strain out the solids, and let sit again for a few more weeks. This is the 4th time I'm doing it this way with only one failure, and I'm assuming some of the apple scraps floated to the top, causing spoilage.

Attachments

• Vinegar.png
    Vinegar.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Stage 2 oof the vinegar making process. The apple, water and sugar mixture has been sitting for 2 weeks. It now has a fragrance oof a cross between alcohol and vinegar. I strained out the solids, and kept the liquid. This will sit for another few weeks to mature into a vinegar.

Attachments

• Vinegar 2.png
    Vinegar 2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom