The 5-Ingredient Feast: Craft Creamy Spinach Like Morton’s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mik hanery

Assistant Cook
Category: Side Dish

Cuisine: American, Steakhouse

Servings: 6

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Calories per Serving: Approximately 250 calories

Ingredients

2 lbs (900g) fresh spinach leaves, washed and stems removed
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups (480ml) whole milk
1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
1/2 cup (50g) halal-certified grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste

Method Instructions

Alright, let’s dive into making this mouthwatering wolfgang’s steakhouse creamed spinach recipe!

• First things first, wash your hands completely. It’s extremely important to start with clean hands to secure in your kitchen.
Now, onto the cooking:

• Begin by preparing your fresh spinach. Wash the spinach leaves completely and remove any tough stems. This step should take about 5 minutes.

• In a large skillet or saucepan, melt the unsalted butter over medium heat. Once melted, sprinkle in the flour and whisk continuously for about 2 minutes to create a smooth roux.

• Slowly pour in the whole milk, whisking constantly to prevent any lumps from forming. Allow the mixture to gently for about 5 minutes, or until it begins to thicken a little.

• Pour in the heavy cream and continue to whisk until the sauce is smooth and creamy.

• Add in the (Islamic-law approved)friendly grated Parmesan cheese (or your preferred other choice) and yeast substitute. Stir until the cheese is fully melted and the sauce is well combined.

• Season the sauce with freshly grated nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste. Give it a final stir, and your creamy sauce is ready.

• Now, it’s time to add the prepared spinach to the sauce. Stir well to make sure that the spinach is fully coated in the creamy goodness.

• Let the spinach in the sauce for a few minutes, allowing the flavors to combine together and the spinach to wilt a little.

• Once the creamed spinach ingredients is cooked to your desired level of tenderness, remove the skillet from the heat.

• Serve your morton’s steakhouse creamed spinach hot,
    next to your favorite main dish. It’s the perfect smaller part to a juicy steak or roasted chicken.
There you have it, folks! A simple french creamed spinach yet beautiful side dish.

Servings: 6
Ingredients
2 lbs (900g) fresh spinach leaves, washed and stems removed
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups (480ml) whole milk
1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
1/2 cup (50g) halal-certified grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste

Method Instructions

• Add in the (Islamic-law approved)friendly grated Parmesan cheese (or your preferred other choice) and yeast substitute. Stir until the cheese is fully melted and the sauce is well combined.
What yeast substitute are you referring to?
It sounds quite lovely but do you think you could reduce it for a serving of 2? Creamed spinach is one of my favourites but I have a hard time even reducing from 4 servings - a lot goes to waste.
Thanks, much appreciated.

I'm glad to hear you're interested in trying out the creamed spinach recipe.

Regarding your question about the yeast substitute, it seems there was a mistake in the instructions. There is no yeast or yeast substitute required for this recipe. You only need the grated Parmesan cheese to add that rich, savory flavor.

As for reducing the recipe for 2 servings, here are the adjusted amounts:

• 2/3 lb (300g) fresh spinach leaves, washed and stems removed
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup (160ml) whole milk
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
  • Salt and pepper to taste
The cooking method remains the same, but the cooking times may be slightly shorter due to the reduced quantities.

I hope this helps! Enjoy your creamed spinach, and please let me know how it turns out.

Here's a creamed spinach recipe I purloined before most of the Boston Market restaurants went out of business. This will make a more managable quantity.

Boston Market Creamed Spinach
Ingredients:
  • 3 Tbs butter, divided
  • 2 Tbs flour
  • ¾ cup half & half
  • ¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
  • 2oz cream cheese, softened
  • ½ cup onion, chopped
  • 1½ tsp garlic, minced
  • 12 ounces, fresh baby spinach
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:

Combine 2 Tbs of flour and 2 Tbs of butter in a saucepan over medium heat, whisk them together, and cook them long enough to make a blonde roux,about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low, add the half &half, nutmeg, grated cheese and cream cheese and stir until smooth.

In a sauté pan, sauté the onion in 1 Tbs of butter over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant, about 30 to 45 seconds more. Add the spinach in increments until it is all incorporated and cook until wilted but not soggy, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the spinach to the sauce and gently fold it in until combined. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

I'll have to do some taste tests with the cream cheese addition. That seems to be a standard with all the recipes I see.
We never made it that way and honestly, it does not sound that appetizing to me. Just a white sauce and (didn't even use cream) whole milk, onion studded with cloves and a pinch of nutmeg. We never had cheese with either.

Here's a creamed spinach recipe I purloined before most of the Boston Market restaurants went out of business. This will make a more managable quantity.

Boston Market Creamed Spinach
Ingredients:
  • 3 Tbs butter, divided
  • 2 Tbs flour
  • ¾ cup half & half
  • ¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
  • 2oz cream cheese, softened
  • ½ cup onion, chopped
  • 1½ tsp garlic, minced
  • 12 ounces, fresh baby spinach
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper

Although hardly anyone knows about it, the idea of Boston Market has carried on in a small way.

Marjorie Drucker invented Boston Market. Rotisserie chicken and sides. Then sold it and focused on her soup business — New England Soup Factory.

Now, she only has one store. In Newton, MA. One side is soup — literally the best soup in the world — and the other side is rotisserie chicken and lots of sides. She’s there every day, making the food.

I have to go out there for work tomorrow and will stop by for lunch and get soup to stock my freezer.

I’ll make sure to try the spinach !

This thread reminded me of this old casserole recipe from the Frugal Gourmet.

It’s an easy make ahead casserole to serve with a grilled steak and baked potato type meal.

Spinach And Artichoke Casserole
  • 14 ozs canned artichoke hearts -- drained
  • 30 ozs frozen chopped spinach -- thawed and drained
  • 8 ozs cream cheese
  • 2 tbsps mayonnaise
  • 4 tbsps olive oil or melted butter
  • 6 tbsps milk
  • salt and pepper -- to taste
  • 1/3 c grated fresh Parmesan cheese
If frozen artichokes are used, cook according to instructions. Do not overcook.

Drain the artichokes, and place them on bottom of a 3-quart casserole.

Squeeze as much moisture as possible from the spinach, and layer it on top of the arti chokes.

In an electric mixer blend the cream cheese, mayonnaise, and butter or oil until light and fluffy.

Gradually beat in the milk, and spread this mixture over the top of the spinach. Sprinkle with pepper and the cheese. (I mix the cream cheese mixture with the spinach and then add the topping.)

Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.

You can refrigerate this dish after putting it together and before baking it, bit if it is chilled, slightly increase the baking time.

Last edited:
Wow, so many wonderful variations of creamed spinach! It’s nice to see how different ingredients and methods can yield such unique results. I’ll definitely have to try out the Boston Market version with cream cheese, as well as the classic bechamel approach mentioned by Jennyema.

For those interested in finding more recipes like these, I recently stumbled upon a treasure trove of delicious dishes and cooking tips online. I found it incredibly helpful for both beginners and seasoned cooks. The variety is amazing, and there’s always something new to learn.

Thanks for sharing your recipes, everyone! This thread has truly inspired me to get creative in the kitchen. Happy cooking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom