The New Best Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gracejoy

Assistant Cook
A friend just gave me this as a gift. It's a huge book from the editors of Cook's Illustrated, which I've never read. Does anyone have this, and if so, do you like it? Is it reliable? Thanks!

I have the original "The Best Recipe" and LOVE IT.
try the split pea soup recipe, very good.
also have quite a few of the other books in the "Best Recipe" series.

I also have the older edition and really like it. The chicken pot pie recipe is delicious. I subscribe to Cook's Illustrated magazine and quite enjoy it. You will find the cookbook as thorough as the magazine and a great reference book, as well.

I have it, too. I bought it about a year ago, so it isn't the latest. I look up all sorts of things - roast turkey, for one...macaroni and cheese....um...their "best yellow cake recipe"....have had a lot of good results. I love reading about all of the ways they've tested a recipe, what made it succeed or fail, how they improved it. I'll tell you one thing, though, with most of their recipes, my own timings and "spin" on things works out better for my critics (my family). I've learned a lot though, and enjoy reading this book.

I think the book is very good especially for the beginning cook. I gave a copy to each of my grandaughters.

Okay - NOT to confuse this with the thread you started about "Best General, All-Purpose Cookbook?" which is NOT the same thing ...

These cookbooks are really great teaching aids ... if you read the preface to each recipe to see what they tried, what didn't work and why, and what they did that did work. You can learn a lot!

I've got a couple of their books and I think they are great! I don't always agree with them (they are based on New England taste and I'm mixed Southern and Texas)- but I generally agree with their methods.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom