Tips, hints and tricks to share with our members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love bottles, big ones, little ones, oddly shaped ones. I use them for herb vinegars that I make, and give away. Starr white wine vinegar came in a bottle that looked like a small decanter and although I didn't need the vinegar, I bought two anyway. Can't pass up a good bottle!
And what would we stash all those Christmas cookies in without the tins we've accumulated over the years? My pantry starts to fill up with tins just after Thanksgiving, and the tins are empty by the week before Christmas. I give cookies on decorative plates. The tins do not leave the house!

I guess hoarding is in our DNA since prehistory. Plastic containers, glass jars, large paper bags, boxes. One rainy day....

[bump]

I took a note from Chef Mary Ann Esposito:
As I start any mise en place, whether it's cooking, baking, grilling, canning - I place a big bowl in the kitchen sink filled with hot soapy water to wash my hands quickly between tasks.
Should I have "chicken hands", I'm not cross contaminating anything.
That's actually a pretty good idea. Saves you from constantly running the water and using up the hand soap.

The only thing I might be a little concerned about, especially if I'm handling raw meat, is repeatedly sticking my hands back into the same water over and over again.

That's actually a pretty good idea. Saves you from constantly running the water and using up the hand soap.

The only thing I might be a little concerned about, especially if I'm handling raw meat, is repeatedly sticking my hands back into the same water over and over again.
Hmmm, I hadn't really thought of that before, I'll need to do some research on that now.

Hmmm, I hadn't really thought of that before, I'll need to do some research on that now.
I'd be okay with the bowl of soapy water for just standard preparation of foods. But probably not if I'm dipping my hands into the water after touching raw meat. I think at that point I would toss the water and get fresh soap and water to continue on with everything else.

I don't even use my cutting boards for meat. I buy the disposable 'meat sheets' and toss them after every use.

A little bit of bleach in the water will solve that issue.

[bump]

As I start any mise en place, whether it's cooking, baking, grilling, canning - I place a big bowl in the kitchen sink filled with hot soapy water to wash my hands quickly between tasks.
I think in similar terminology. Anything that has touched raw chicken, e.g., cutting board, knife, scissors that cut open the package, gets referred to by me as having been chickened. Gotta wash everything that gets chickened ASAP. I'm not comfortable until it's all been washed.

Today I read a tip. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it would work. The tip is about making crispy, fried onions. It's to use dry onion flakes, like you can buy in a jar. Apparently, when you fry those, they brown beautifully very fast and don't need nearly as much oil as starting with fresh onion.

Emeril used to have a hand wash bucket, and a lot of celebrity chef's do it. You can ad disinfectants, even alcohol to your wash bucket to add power to the mix.

CD

Last edited:
Emeril housed to have a hand wash bucket, and a lot of celebrity chef's do it. You can ad disinfectants, even alcohol to your wash bucket to add power to the mix.

CD
Knowing me, I'll probably just stick with washing my hands in between everything, like I've always done.

One of the things I like about having a bowl or bucket of soapy water handy to wash hands in is that I don't have to touch the faucet with my chickened hands. If I do, I have to wash the faucet handles afterwards and it gets tricky not to recontaminate your hands when you turn off the water.

One of the things I like about having a bowl or bucket of soapy water handy to wash hands in is that I don't have to touch the faucet with my chickened hands. If I do, I have to wash the faucet handles afterwards and it gets tricky not to recontaminate your hands when you turn off the water.

I've seen foot pedal activated faucets in professional kitchens, and in my dentist's office. I would love to have a set of those. Not just for sanitary reasons, but just being able to turn on the water, both hot and cold, with both hands full.

CD

[bump]

Starting any cooking project with a sink full of hot sudsy water helps to clean as you go and avoid ending up with a mountain of dirty dishes.

One of the inconveniences of living in my little apartment is working with a one bowl kitchen sink.

I have used the foot pedal operated faucets in a few hospitals. I seem to remember one of them was actually operated with the side of your knee.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom