Tips, hints and tricks to share with our members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Katie, I really need to do that with the meat. Twice now I've been about to cook and the frozen meat just stares at me and says - "I dare you! "
What a great idea as I can then say "Hah! you're already done, so there!"

Glad you're on the mend, continue to take it easy, don't tire yourself out!

I've been having some serious health issues since October 1st and cooking has been a challenge to say the least. Flatlined twice on that day and it's been a long road back.

So, having said that, today I put 4 containers of cooked ground beef in the freezer. Each pound was browned with 1/2 half of a medium onion, chopped, and a clove of minced garlic. These 3 ingredients are a great base for many recipes.

Now I'm ready to cook something quick during the busy days ahead or when I've just run out of gas.
Sending prayers and healing thoughts your way!

Katie, I hope you continue to strengthen and heal. As other have said, take it easy through the holidays and enjoy your loved ones so that 2024 can be healthy and happy for everyone after this scary experience.

Thanks Katie, I really need to do that with the meat. Twice now I've been about to cook and the frozen meat just stares at me and says - "I dare you! "
What a great idea as I can then say "Hah! you're already done, so there!"

Glad you're on the mend, continue to take it easy, don't tire yourself out!
There is another trick to do with meat that you need to have in the freezer. If you use a sandwich sized zipper bag, it will hold about 250 grams / half a pound. If you stuff the meat into that bag and squish it flat, then freeze it flat, you can thaw it warm water in about 10 minutes. That sounds a bit scary to thaw meat in warm water, but since it's only for 10 minutes and you are going to cook it right away, there won't be time for much in the way of microorganism growth. I have done that with thinly sliced chicken and beef as well as with some homemade bulk Italian sausage. The other good thing about doing it this way, is you can stand up the frozen meat like it was in a filing cabinet. If you write the contents and date in big black letters with a sharpie, it's easy to find what you want. Well, it is for me. I stand them up in the door of the freezer.

Yes, thanks taxy, I do do that - have for years.
It is not only the frozen that says "I dare yuh!" but my tired body and brain just can't outsmart it by suppertime so nothing generally gets done.

It is the cooking ahead I never thought of doing and repackaging to freeze
I don't know why as I often made a recipe for a huge batch of stew beef, just the beef. Then they are portioned into smaller meals and could make various types of stew with the base meat partially cooked. I should really do that again - that's the sort of meal that would pop into the slow cooker perfectly.

I also often use the small snack baggies. I have 1/4 lb. of ground pork in them. Especially for WonTons or Egg Rolls. That's what all my recipes call for. Beef I usually have 1/2 lb. or sometimes, not often, in 1 lb. (sandwich bags)

Chicken, breasts, thighs, drums - all packaged separately. Breasts have weights marked - very handy.

LOL - nothing would ever get cooked if I didn't. :LOL:

Aunt Bea, better stock pile your favourite pot scrubbers. Bought some buns the other day and the closure is now cardboard! Not all products but I see the trend starting!
20231221_170612.jpg

Aunt Bea, better stock pile your favourite pot scrubbers. Bought some buns the other day and the closure is now cardboard! Not all products but I see the trend starting!
View attachment 67291
Cardboard??? Haven't seen that one yet.

And I thought stores were going to get rid of the plastic bags. They're still in use at every store I shop at. Well, except Aldi where they just toss stuff into a cart and you either use your own bags (which is what I do) or go grab a box.

Believe me, they are working on it! But I'm pretty sure it will be a while before they get rid of a lot of superfluous plastics.

Just think of everything that is from vegies in bags - that would be fairly easy. but the meats and fish, cheeses... Someone will come up with an excuse to have their product in an exclusion clause.

Right or wrong - wish I had an answer.

Believe me, they are working on it! But I'm pretty sure it will be a while before they get rid of a lot of superfluous plastics.

Just think of everything that is from vegies in bags - that would be fairly easy. but the meats and fish, cheeses... Someone will come up with an excuse to have their product in an exclusion clause.

Right or wrong - wish I had an answer.
I was just curious if they were still planning to do that.

Getting rid of all plastics would be impossible, in my opinion. Look at water and soda bottles. There are zillions of them. What else, besides glass, would they put all those drinks in?

Last edited:
The food industry isn't the only one. Look at hospitals, my last stay there I was flabbergasted when I realized just how much plastic garbage they create. From medicine (containers, single doses) right down to the plastic bags used in the room and washroom - changed every day with maybe 2 items in them. Thermometer covers, 3 (or more) per patient per day. It honestly makes me shudder.

Turning to more paper products? Well, maybe - but then the rapid denuding of our forest land? Faster than they can regrow.

At least I re-use my wine bottles- another of which I will now open because I'm getting depressed with my own post.

The food industry isn't the only one. Look at hospitals, my last stay there I was flabbergasted when I realized just how much plastic garbage they create. From medicine (containers, single doses) right down to the plastic bags used in the room and washroom - changed every day with maybe 2 items in them. Thermometer covers, 3 (or more) per patient per day. It honestly makes me shudder.

Turning to more paper products? Well, maybe - but then the rapid denuding of our forest land? Faster than they can regrow.

At least I re-use my wine bottles- another of which I will now open because I'm getting depressed with my own post.
I try not to let it bother me, really. Right now I've got bigger things to worry about. My dog (a 15 year old mini Dachshund) has been sick and not eating. He's been to the vet 3 times in the last week and today they did blood work on him. Found out his kidneys are failing. I'm so down right now I don't know what to do with myself.

So I'm right there with ya having a few drinks. Probably the worst thing I could do right now, to be honest, but I don't really care.

Sorry for going off topic. Back to the tips and tricks. I enjoy reading them.

In NJ, plus a number of other states, they have outlawed the use of single use plastic bags, but you'll still see plastic bags used in deli sections, bulk food, and produce sections - I don't see them replacing those with anything. And look at all that plastic meat is wrapped in, and the "tray" or whatever you want to call it the meat is set in, before wrapping, which is some sort styrofoam, or something like that, which is something also banned in some areas.

Some of the states than haven't banned the plastic bags, as well as many of the individual towns, in other states, have all sorts of fees they allow for paper bags, as well as the plastic ones they allow in smaller stores. And some allow plastic bags, as long as they are over a certain ml thick, so it's not single use, and it goes on and on! I just take some heavy duty bags I use all the time, and don't think about it anymore.

Last edited:
In NJ, plus a number of other states, they have outlawed the use of single use plastic bags, but you'll still see plastic bags used in deli sections, bulk food, and produce sections - I don't see them replacing those with anything. And look at all that plastic meat is wrapped in, and the "tray" or whatever you want to call it the meat is set in, before wrapping, which is some sort styrofoam, or something like that, which is something also banned in some areas.

Some of the states than haven't banned the plastic bags, as well as many of the individual towns, in other states, have all sorts of fees they allow for paper bags, as well as the plastic ones they allow in smaller stores. And some allow plastic bags, as long as they are over a certain ml thick, so it's not single use, and it goes on and on! I just take some heavy duty bags I use all the time, and don't think about it anymore.
I have several of the reusable bags in the trunk of my car, but always forget to take them into the store with me. I get so mad at myself for that. I actually like those bags better than those stupid plastic ones. They hold more, they're nice and sturdy and I make fewer trips from my car into the house.

LOL, Linda, I'm always forgetting or else... true to my nature, I go in for 2 items and come out with 20.
A couple of times at Walmart - go thru the self-check-out, just put everything back in the basket, take it to the car and package in my bags.

Actually come to think of it, I've done it at quite a few stores now, not just Walmart. :LOL:

When I was still regularly driving, I used to put the shopping bags on the passenger seat to make it easier to remember to bring them into the store. I always brought in more than I thought I might use. If I had a passenger, then they got to hold onto those bags.

Do you know that I've actually told myself, while getting ready to leave the house, to grab the bags out of my trunk and put them on the passenger seat with my purse... and forgot even that?

My short-term memory is shot. :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

I try not to let it bother me, really. Right now I've got bigger things to worry about. My dog (a 15 year old mini Dachshund) has been sick and not eating. He's been to the vet 3 times in the last week and today they did blood work on him. Found out his kidneys are failing. I'm so down right now I don't know what to do with myself.

So I'm right there with ya having a few drinks. Probably the worst thing I could do right now, to be honest, but I don't really care.

Sorry for going off topic. Back to the tips and tricks. I enjoy reading them.
Sorry to hear about your pet. I've had many over the years and they're all very precious to be sure. I have a 17 yr old mini dachshund and over the last 6 months his eyesight has pretty much failed, I think he can only see tunnel vision and nothing around him and his hearing has deteriorated quickly. He's slim and not overweight which seems to be the norm in this species and trots like a 2 year old and people are shocked at how old he is when they find out.

Sorry to hear about your pet. I've had many over the years and they're all very precious to be sure. I have a 17 yr old mini dachshund and over the last 6 months his eyesight has pretty much failed, I think he can only see tunnel vision and nothing around him and his hearing has deteriorated quickly. He's slim and not overweight which seems to be the norm in this species and trots like a 2 year old and people are shocked at how old he is when they find out.
That's how my Casey was until recently - he played with his toys and bounced around like a puppy. Last week when he started to quickly slow down and stopped eating, I knew something was obviously wrong.

My other Dachshund, who we lost last August, was 18.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom