Tips, hints and tricks to share with our members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today, I discovered that my silicone "lids" make an excellent splash guard when beating liquids in the mixer. I also discovered that it takes longer to gather all the ingredients, measure and place in the bowl than it takes to "mix until stiff peaks"... :ROFLMAO:

IMG_7769.jpg

I have an excellent ancient cheap spoon with a sharp edge perfect for the seeds, but what I do use the melon baller for is to scoop out eggplant flesh and other gourd types when I want to preserve the shells.
It's perfect!

I have an excellent ancient cheap spoon with a sharp edge perfect for the seeds, but what I do use the melon baller for is to scoop out eggplant flesh and other gourd types when I want to preserve the shells.
It's perfect!
Melon ballers are also good for scooping the [baked] flesh out of potato halves when making twice-baked potatoes.

Melon ballers have had a long history of being dismissed as just a one use utensil that dies a slow death in your drawer, but they are actually quite handy.
When you want to do something “fancy” with presentation, they can be really useful.
Ice cream “quenelles”
Potato gems
Various fruits for your trifle or pavlova topping.
It’s all about imagination! 🫠

You know how when you roll out your fresh pasta through the cranking machine and it is an elongated mess?
Well, here’s the tip.
Once you get that elongated mess, fold your pasta into a nice tidy envelope shape, then put your pasta machine back onto number two and go again.
Makes your pasta lovely and straight!

You know how you can use a paper towel to remove the membrane on the bottom of your rack of ribs? Well skin on fresh salmon comes off in a similar way. I use a sharp knife against the edge of the salmon flesh and pull the skin back gently. Usually comes off in one piece easily. Then I can scrape the brownish "bloodline" part off the flesh before putting the salmon in the marinade.

I know these days that crispy salmon skin is quite popular. We think it tastes too fishy so the skin must come off!

You know how you can use a paper towel to remove the membrane on the bottom of your rack of ribs? Well skin on fresh salmon comes off in a similar way. I use a sharp knife against the edge of the salmon flesh and pull the skin back gently. Usually comes off in one piece easily. Then I can scrape the brownish "bloodline" part off the flesh before putting the salmon in the marinade.

I know these days that crispy salmon skin is quite popular. We think it tastes too fishy so the skin must come off!
Ditto. I can't do the skin either, so this is a good tip.

Thanks, never had a problem with getting the skin off, but if I ever do I will certainly remember this tip!

And I'm in the family that happens to leave (and like) the membrane on the bottom of the rack of ribs. :mrgreen:

and I don't do salmon skin either, crispy or not (shudder)

Thanks, never had a problem with getting the skin off, but if I ever do I will certainly remember this tip!

And I'm in the family that happens to leave (and like) the membrane on the bottom of the rack of ribs. :mrgreen:
I generally don't bother removing it anymore from ribs. My husband's cousn swore it would make it better but it wasn't a noticeable difference IMO.

I found by peeling the skin from salmon I lost less meat than when using a knife.

and I don't do salmon skin either, crispy or not (shudder)
My issue was I would try to 'slice' the skin off and, as careful as I'd try to be, I'd still end up cutting too much of the fish away with the skin. (I am NOT good at filleting fish or butchering chickens, etc). So I started asking the guy or gal at the seafood counter to cut it off for me. Some were happy to comply. Others acted like I was asking them to skin a cat. So I quit buying salmon as often as I used to. It was just too much of a hassle either way.

My issue was I would try to 'slice' the skin off and, as careful as I'd try to be, I'd still end up cutting too much of the fish away with the skin. (I am NOT good at filleting fish or butchering chickens, etc). So I started asking the guy or gal at the seafood counter to cut it off for me. Some were happy to comply. Others acted like I was asking them to skin a cat. So I quit buying salmon as often as I used to. It was just too much of a hassle either way.
Me too, I have good knives but im not good at removing skin from fish. The guy at the fish counter told me he didn't know how, said he was in the meat department and the fish guy was on his meal break. I explained how to do it but he didn't say ok so I just did it myself when I got home using the peel method.

Me too, I have good knives but im not good at removing skin from fish. The guy at the fish counter told me he didn't know how, said he was in the meat department and the fish guy was on his meal break. I explained how to do it but he didn't say ok so I just did it myself when I got home using the peel method.
Yeah, see? I ran into similar issues with asking them to cut off the skin for me. So I just gave up. I'm definitely going to use your method.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom