Toaster recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephen22

Assistant Cook
Can anyone recommend a 2-man toaster which toasts rather than bakes bread slices? I guess the elements would be very hot and close to the bread. I like toast which is brown on the outside and soft on the inside. It seems hard to find such a toaster. (i live in the UK)

I agree with you Stephen -

I used to use my toaster oven but eventually realized it was truly just re-baking the bread. My toast just wasn't the same. Went back to my 2 slice toaster.

Cannot help you with a toaster brand. Be sure to find a store that will let you return it if it just does not do the job for you. And let the sales man know that!

You should be able to find a middle priced toaster that will do as you wish.

I think a lower priced will just not do job well and a high priced one is probably just for extra gadgets you don't need and won't use.

Thanks for your thoughts folks. My last toaster was the least worst of a whole bunch that I tried in succession - the worst was the most expensive and had an element like the old electric fires with a mirror behind it (Panasonic I think). My best performing toaster is currently in my caravan (trailer) and I think cost £10 from Sainsburys.

If anybody's got any ideas about a specific 2-man toaster brand that's efficient, I'd be so grateful and promise not to sue them.

and the best toaster I can recommend...

although you do have to keep an eye on it. :rolleyes: I can positively vouch for them, kids still have mine at the chalet.

Attachments

• vintage toaster.jpg
    vintage toaster.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 260
When I lived in Copenhagen in the 1970s, I used a toaster like this, but it had wires rather than that mesh.

2834_5396.jpg

It did make good toast, but you had to keep an eye on it.

Here's an electric version with a timer, and I found it on a Danish website. That means that it is available in Europe and it runs on 220 Volts.

coop-flad-broedrister-med-timer.jpg

toasters are a crap shoot.
some work. some don't.
the geeks/design 'engineers' apparently never use them.
I've not never yet encountered the goal of a soft/raw interior vs. toasty thru and thru - but there is not accounting for taste.
we have an aging two slicer - it'll be a future challenge to find one that 'toasts like we like it' . . . .

a topic rated at a level +20 to how to soft boil an egg . . .

Last edited:
I like it that way too, dragn. I achieve that result with my toaster oven by cutting a thick (about 3/4 inch) slice of bread for toasting. Crunchy outside, soft inside. Yum!

I like it that way too, dragn. I achieve that result with my toaster oven by cutting a thick (about 3/4 inch) slice of bread for toasting. Crunchy outside, soft inside. Yum!

Atta' girl, the boat gets bigger!

Attachments

• lolpup.GIF
    lolpup.GIF
    31.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

although you do have to keep an eye on it. :rolleyes: I can positively vouch for them, kids still have mine at the chalet.

I remember watching a TV program awhiles back on Food Network or The Cooking Channel ... an old time Lunch Counter, somewhere on the East Coast of USA, that used this toaster for their, what was it now? Toasted Cheese Sandwiches or Cheese Burgers, I forget now!
But it worked beautifully!

Just because something is old, doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore ... DH's still kickin :LOL:

I just remember that my father-in-law once tried cooking eggs in one of these. Okay, it sounded even worse when they first told the story of Neville trying to cook eggs in a toaster. I had visions of the pop up type of toaster. :LOL:

My grandparents, back when I was a child, had this wonderful toaster with a mechanical timer. It was a little lever that you moved, located on the bottom of the toaster side. When the timer mechanism was doe, the toast would pop up.
This made it easy to get the perfect toast every time. Because of my experience with that toaster, and comparing it to toaster which rely on a b--metallic strip to end the toasting cycle, I much prefer the timer approach. Here are samples of toasters with a timer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG2ocC9dlXE

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/toasters/cpt-440/

A google search will give your more.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tabletop/pdp/russell-hobbs-4-slice-retro-style-toaster-rhb10023.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom