Tomatoes and joint inflammation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found this page that has lists of foods you can use in place of nightshades, and at the end, there are links to 31 recipes without nightshades. I hope this is helpful.
https://www.paleoplan.com/2014/12-23/nightshades-foods-substitutions/
Btw, the above article was written by a registered dietician.

Taxlady, I found this interesting, since you have different reactions to different nightshades.

"Interestingly, you can be sensitive to one nightshade and not others because they all contain slightly different alkaloids. For instance, capsaicinoid is the primary alkaloid in chili peppers. Alpha-solanine and alpha-chaconine are found in potatoes. Eggplant contains alpha-solamargine and alpha-solasonine and tomatoes contain alpha-tomatine."

I found this page that has lists of foods you can use in place of nightshades, and at the end, there are links to 31 recipes without nightshades. I hope this is helpful.
https://www.paleoplan.com/2014/12-23/nightshades-foods-substitutions/

Wow, that is very useful. What a comprehensive list!

I had no idea paprika is a nightshade. And yep, I just looked, it's not on the list of allowed herbs and spices :( Since I use so little, it might not be a problem, but I'll have to do an "add back". All I need to do is get through a few weeks before adding back on. If eggs are OK, then I'll make some deviled eggs, because I sprinkle it on. I don't like a really heavy paprika flavor, anyway, but I do like a little sometimes, in a spice rub for meats.

Thank you so much!

I got to thinking that the spatchcock recipe, a normal, common recipe, is just out there, and possibly what I ought to do instead of beginning a new thread an explaining again, is just look for recipes already on the site. Just looking through all the chicken ones, for instance, I can pick out what I can and can't use for ideas, and I have never had a problem leaving ingredients out of recipes if I don't like them.

You all have been wonderful, and not for nothing, but your picture of roasted garlic has inspired me to make some. No, I can't schmear on bread, but I can mash up and make a dip for artichoke leaves, possibly, since I can't use lemon mayo, my preferred one. And then there's chicken with garlic cloves, right?

EDIT: I scour Amazon for free cookbooks and have a couple of dozen Paleo, based upon my theory that even if I don't follow a diet, I can still find useful recipes. That's going to pay off, now.

Last edited:

Taxlady, I found this interesting, since you have different reactions to different nightshades.

"Interestingly, you can be sensitive to one nightshade and not others because they all contain slightly different alkaloids. For instance, capsaicinoid is the primary alkaloid in chili peppers. Alpha-solanine and alpha-chaconine are found in potatoes. Eggplant contains alpha-solamargine and alpha-solasonine and tomatoes contain alpha-tomatine."

I just realized this was a different message.

I found that interesting, also, and it explains why in conversing with others prior to trying this, we all are sensitive to different things. And, some say they can eat fresh tomatoes but not cooked (which I think I can) but others say they can only eat cooked, not fresh. But now I know there's a reason the different points of view.

I love science!

Seeds: Coconut, pine nuts and flax seeds. I did see that someone wrote about flax seeds containing cyanide, and have no interest in them, anyway. But pine nuts are useful, and coconuts will play a big part here, as in flour and oil and milk.

Seeds: Coconut, pine nuts and flax seeds. I did see that someone wrote about flax seeds containing cyanide, and have no interest in them, anyway. But pine nuts are useful, and coconuts will play a big part here, as in flour and oil and milk.
If you can use coconut, then coconut oil and milk should be okay, too, so you can make creamy sauces with that. Since pine nuts have gotten so expensive, I started using cashews instea - they have a similar buttery flavor.

I would look into the prohibition on vinegars other than apple cider vinegar. ACV is one of the things diet culture has idealized for no apparent reason (a couple teaspoons in a gallon of stock is not going to make a difference in the amount of minerals in it, especially since calcium is not water-soluble).

If you can have vinegar made from apples, why not from other fruits, like red or white grapes (red and white wine vinegar) or from rice (Asian rice vinegar)? There's no logic to it that I can see.

This has great information on how to make your own mustard - it's really easy. Once you start, you can add all kinds of fruits and herbs to add variety. Use them in sauces, glazes and vinaigrettes. A vinaigrette makes a delicious sauce on grilled or roasted meats and vegetables, as well as on salad.
https://www.seriouseats.com/mustard-manual-guide

Last edited:
Yes, I can use coconut oil and milk. It says no almond milk, which I use in my coffee, so I will switch to coconut milk, but then again, I can't have coffee, LOL. I can use it for sauces, maybe, and cereal. I am just hearing abut Coconut Aminos for the first time, too, and I already know soy sauce increases my inflammation. So I have to look into that, too.

I cannot use cashews, though. I can live without the nuts on my salad, and I prefer fresh basil over pesto, and right now I have lots of basil. Well, I use it for caprese sandwiches, but can't have mozzarella right now. "Temporary, it's just temporary", LOL. But I don't have much use for pine nuts, generally.

For some reason, the comprehensive food list says "mustard made with apple cider vinegar" but I can actually use all vinegars, I think, including balsamic. I looked it up because a couple of recipes from the Paleo site use it. And I like it. I normally don't use, it much because it raises my blood sugar. But a bit is OK.

Another diet says "Store-bought mustards (Dijon, stone-ground, etc.) made without added sugars are permitted, as are vinegars (raw apple
cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and white vinegar). Note that condiments should be used sparingly." It notes that some mustards are made with wheat. I am a label-reader, though.

Thanks for the link about making my own mustard. That website, seriouseats, is one I have bookmarked for other reasons. I think I used their recipe to make my own lox. I will explore that site further.

Thanks for the link about making my own mustard. That website, seriouseats, is one I have bookmarked for other reasons. I think I used their recipe to make my own lox. I will explore that site further.
You're welcome [emoji2] I *LOVE* Serious Eats. I've been following it pretty much since it started over a decade ago. Their recipes are very reliable since they do extensive research and testing. And I'm fascinated by the science of food.

Deb, now I'm wondering if the reason soy sauce bothers you is the wheat in the soy sauce. Tamari comes in versions with and without wheat. I would have thought that coconut aminos were too processed to use during the sort of elimination diet you are using.

That bit jumped out at me too. I knew that tomatoes had tomatine, not solanine, but it hadn't occurred to me that they would likely all have slightly different alkaloids. And the capsaicinoid in chili peppers, luckily that one doesn't seem to bother me at all. Chili peppers were the first thing I put back into my diet after the month or so of no nightshades.

Deb, now I'm wondering if the reason soy sauce bothers you is the wheat in the soy sauce. Tamari comes in versions with and without wheat. I would have thought that coconut aminos were too processed to use during the sort of elimination diet you are using.

Oh, see, this was in my head for later...looking through recipes, I saw that mentioned, but didn't specify when I wrote it - just that it was a new discovery.

I always thought soy sauce was soy sauce, to be honest. Now some have wheat, some don't? Argggh! I will look at my bottles. All I do know is that food made with soy sauce hurts. You know, later on.

And I am a completely non-spicy food person. I really cannot nor ever could eat anything with cayenne in it. My husband would order spicy Chinese, and complain that it wasn't, and I'd try a bite and suffer for hours. Just the way it is.

The only thing I can eat is a little horseradish, but I always thought it was because I'd mix it into mayo for eating with meat. Mayo would ameliorate the burning. But also, it's a different kind of heat. And I can eat those little chopped green chiles in Mexican food. Just me :)

EDIT: I have a bottle of lite soy sauce that says gluten free. And a bottle of regular that isn't. When I add back, I will try the gluten free first, to make something, and see what happens :) Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
First of all, pot is for recreation.

Nutrition is the key to this, but I am not sure what so I say - get all your essential minerals. Learn what they are and what they do. I have a database I could send. From it;

Boron
Copper
Iodine (maybe)
Manganese (hint)

Actually, you have to look it up yourself. Other conditions you have may occur to you and send you better in the right direction.

T

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom