Vegan burritos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moemai

Assistant Cook
I'm no cook heh, just to get that out of the way :) but the other day I did these vegan burritos that were something else!
They had - a portion of roasted soy bits (the type that you buy dry and then leave in lemon juice overnight), a stripe of guacamole (just salt, lemon, raw garlic and avocado is how I like it), a stripe of fried purple onions and a strip of cream cheese.
For the dough I made it like crepe dough - milk, flour, 1 egg and salt.
Will do again for sure.

I see so many recipes that thoroughly entice me - except for the avocado.

Does anyone have a substitute? Hard to replace the texture and flavour of an avocado - which, when I could eat them, where absolutely amazing, but sadly I just can't. So any suggestions?

and Welcome to DC, Moemai !

:) Thank you both so much for the encouragement! I will keep you posted on my adventures - if not for anything just for a laugh! - and make sure to follow yours!

@dragnlaw avocado is a tough one to substitute... hum... what about some nice.. hummus?

@Kathleen I made the dough but honestly I think it turned out better with the supermarket's fajitas dough (I also made them with those). My dough is more appropriate for desserts I think, even though it has no sugar...

:) Thank you both so much for the encouragement! I will keep you posted on my adventures - if not for anything just for a laugh! - and make sure to follow yours!

@dragnlaw avocado is a tough one to substitute... hum... what about some nice.. hummus?

@Kathleen I made the dough but honestly I think it turned out better with the supermarket's fajitas dough (I also made them with those). My dough is more appropriate for desserts I think, even though it has no sugar...
I look forward to hearing of your adventures!

Welcome to the forum!

That sounds good, but be forewarned - if planning to feed it to vegans, that egg in the dough makes it non-vegan.

As well as the milk. It sounds like a crepe dough to me.
Agreed. Vegetarian, not vegan.
To veganize it, you'd have to use a vegan cream cheese ( which commercially usually tastes like crap, but a decent one can be made by slightly fermenting a cashew cream) and use a flour tortilla that contains no milk or eggs.

That being said, it does sound good.
Welcome to the forum!

Hey all!

Thank you for your attention with the milk, cheese and eggs! I'm not a vegan though, just vegetarian. Actually pescatarian because i eat fish :)

You are indeed right sir/madam! :) I stand therefore corrected

So coming back to that - vegetarian recipes - do you guys have any really good recipes for me to try out? (easy please!)

When I was a vegetarian, I made a ground beef substitute for use in sauces or where ground beef would be browned and mixed with something else. I would use a meat grinder to grind (not too fine, you don't want mush) canned or cooked beans, pretty much any kind. Brown that in oil with some onions and seasonings of choice and it can be used in a taco or burrito or spaghetti sauce instead of meat. I would sometimes use it in lasagna.

Last edited:
Do you have one of those contraptions for cutting the lard into flour for your pastry dough? That would work.

Or else a fork and elbow grease.

Do you have one of those contraptions for cutting the lard into flour for your pastry dough? That would work.

Or else a fork and elbow grease.
Two forks or a fork and a knife, not a sharp one.

Is this post meant to be in this thread?

Although not a burrito, but a wrap, this was one of the best wraps I've ever had. Simple but the flavor combos and amounts of each were perfect. We had the vegan version, but could easily be substituted with regular cheese , a regular mayo based chipotle sauce and chicken instead of tempeh. Here it goes: Whole wheat tortilla, Chipotle sauce ( with a little heat), Spinach, caramelized onions, tempeh, tomatoes, cheddar cheese. Heated just enough so cheese melts a bit.

Attachments

• tempImagepvccAX.png
    tempImagepvccAX.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Two forks or a fork and a knife, not a sharp one.

Is this post meant to be in this thread?
taxy, it is if you are referring to the post where she says she doesn't have a grinder.

Larry - that looks yummy and sounds yummy too! Well, not the vegan version but un-vegan style.

Have never quite understood the difference between a burrito and a wrap. Most I can figure out is it is one is open at one end, the other both end closed.

Back
Top Bottom