Venison Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
VENISON STEW

(All ingredients approx.)

3 Lbs. Well trimmed Venison Shoulder cubed.
½ Lbs. Carrots
2 lbs Potatoes Cubed
2 Onions roughly chopped.
28 Oz. Chopped Tomato.
5 Slices Salt Pork
5 Crushed Juniper berries
3 Bay Leaves
6 Cloves garlic chopped.
1 Can Beef broth
1 “Broth Can” Dry Red Wine
2 Tbls Worcestershire
Flour to Coat
Water to Cover Well
S & P to taste
Flour Slurry or Roux (Optional)

Fry the salt pork to render the fat. Flour the stew meat and brown well in the drippings.
Add Beef broth, Wine, Worcestershire, Juniper berries, bay leaves, garlic, Salt & Pepper and enough water to cover well. Slowly simmer until the meat is tender! Add Potatoes, Carrots, Onions, and tomatoes, and continue to simmer until vegetables are done. Additional beef broth/wine/water can be added as/if needed. Just before serving I like to tighten up the liquid a bit with a little roux. Adjust seasonings.

Last edited:
That looks deeeelicious, UB!
I don't know if they have juniper berries up here in the stores...... I'll have to look. That sounds and looks like a recipe worth trying.

(Heavy sigh) Now just where am I gonna find juniper berries around here, or venison shoulder for that matter. :(

Your stew looks great. Send some to me, packed in dry ice. I'll help ya get rid of it, if you have too much.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Juniper Berries are strictly an optional item in stew, but not in Gin!!;)

They are used sometimes in 'game' dishes to cut down on the "gamey" flavor. I do this so the DW will eat the stew.

I have to order them through Penzey's Spices.

UB, Do the juniper berries actually neutralize the (sometimes) gamey taste, or do they impart their own flavor and mask the gamey taste? Are they what gives gin that unique "turpentine" kind of flavor? And I used to drink gin ;) Can't even stand the smell of it now.....

We're having a friend over for dinner next week. I was going to make venison french onion soup but... maybe, I'll make this again. It looks so good!!!!!

UB, Do the juniper berries actually neutralize the (sometimes) gamey taste, or do they impart their own flavor and mask the gamey taste? Are they what gives gin that unique "turpentine" kind of flavor? And I used to drink gin ;) Can't even stand the smell of it now.....

I would characterize it as "masking" the flavor somewhat rather than neutralizing it. To me it adds a pleasant tartness to the dish (stews or braised roasts etc.) but the taste does not jump out at you. If you ate some of the stew you wouldn't say, "Oh, I can taste the juniper berry" you just wouldn't taste the gaminess of the meat quite so much. They are used to give gin it's distinctive taste.

Thanks.
I wonder what adding a little gin as it's cooking would do, or maybe marinating the venison with a touch of gin..... :neutral: That may be reason enough to pick up a bottle of Tanqueray and see if my taste has come back for it :wacko:

Thanks.
I wonder what adding a little gin as it's cooking would do, or maybe marinating the venison with a touch of gin..... :neutral: That may be reason enough to pick up a bottle of Tanqueray and see if my taste has come back for it :wacko:

I'm thinking the best plan to fully utilize the juniper berries is in the gin! Three or four good stiff drinks, and the gamey flavor wouldn't be a problem. Not to mention.... so much more fun!!:LOL:

looks great UB!!

around here, junipers are a common landscape item. I have 15 vase shaped pfitzer junipers in my front yard, just loaded with berries. quite a few times I have harvested some for venison stew. You all might want to keep an eye out, and a pair of snips, for a neighbors juniper bush that needs a slight trim;)

Ref: VENISON STEW

Theres only one thing wrong with the bottom pic: I don't see a bowl with my name on it!

I'll let everyone in on a secret ingredient that will have guests comming back later and asking "remember that stew? ... can you do that again? like today?

This ingredient brings out the "28 Oz. Chopped Tomato" flavor even more.

This secret ingredient is a packet or two (in powder form) of spaghetti sauce stirred in well.

Wow - looks great! I also battle to find juniper berries and then just use allspice instead (don't know if it has the same effect but we eat such a lot of venison that I don't notice the "gaminess" anymore so now we just prepare it the same way we do beef or lamb) What is also nice in venison stew is adding dried fruit to it.

Insty-Grill said:
Theres only one thing wrong with the bottom pic: I don't see a bowl with my name on it!

Ah.....That was your bowl and two biscuits Insty! :ermm:

My bowl, and 10 biscuits were just off camera out of sight!!:LOL:

Enjoy!

SURE, tell me this AFTER I just finished eatn!

What else ya got "just off camera" ...and whats with the two vs 10 biscuits??

Well if ya don't watch out, campfire cookn will have ya "growing just little to much" ya know.

Thanks for a great looking recipe, UB! It may be a "Venison Christmas, as he was just given a roast, a loin and some ground venison. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom