What are you eating Monday 9/3/2018 (U.S.A. Labor Day)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Funny it's Labor Day holiday but all the Laborer's have to work. C'est la vie

Tonight will be turkey burgers (for DD's), Beef burgers (for hub and I), Thumann's potato salad and a new recipe for me Tomato Salad Puttanesca.

Last edited:
I was just about to hit post, but did a quick check to make sure nobody else posted. You posted first by a few seconds!

We're heading to daughter and SIL's for dinner, catering by Tenspeed. Grilled B/S chicken breasts marinated in soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and curry. Sides will be sesame peanut noodles, green salad.

I was just about to hit post, but did a quick check to make sure nobody else posted. You posted first by a few seconds!

We're heading to daughter and SIL's for dinner, catering by Tenspeed. Grilled B/S chicken breasts marinated in soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and curry. Sides will be sesame peanut noodles, green salad.

OOOOOOOOOOOO Have you posted the recipe for the sesame peanut noodles? If not pretty Please Please :angel:

Enjoy your dinner.

My plans to smoke some ribs isn't likely to happen, as it is raining, and the rain is not supposed to go away today or tonight.

I can probably toss a burger or some hot dogs on the grill, though.

CD

Not surprisingly, we are having leftover smoked turkey for dinner. SO wants an open-face turkey sandwich so I'm in the process of making broth with the turkey backbone so she can have turkey gravy for her sandwich. Since I just polished off a turkey sandwich with my homemade sandwich bread, I'll have my turkey dinner with gravy and tater tots.

Fried the Horrmann Meat Market pork chops I picked up a couple of days ago.. Excellent!! :yum:

Sorry for the beige photo.. Thought I had broccoli, had to settle for cauliflower..
Mashed potatoes w/pan gravy..

Apple pie for later..

Ross

Attachments

• Pork Chop Dinner.jpg
    Pork Chop Dinner.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Market Basket has T-bone and porterhouse steaks (choice grade) on sale for $5.99 a pound this week, but they put everything that's on the front page of their next-week flyer on sale Saturday, too. I ended up buying two, which is too much meat. Sadly, one would not have been enough. I can do leftover steak. :yum: Himself will slap those on the grill. Meanwhile, I already steamed the corn and cut it off the cobs and have the twice-baked potatoes ready for their second bake. I'll make salads; still deciding on whether or not I want to quick-cook some asparagus, too.

We went out to breakfast this morning, and there was a young man near us who commented how good it was to have a day to relax. It made me smile.

After breakfast we went to the dollar store where I found four big artichokes so I'm cooking all four and will save two and serve them cold later in the week. We like a dipping sauce of mayo/lemon juice/garlic granules/dried dill. What a score..four big fresh Ca. grown Globe artichokes for $4.00!!

I have a couple of rib eye steaks in the sous vide, and they will be finished on "Wilma", my super hot searing side burner for the grill.

I'll slice some garden tomatoes to go along with the steaks and chokes.

Last edited:
Back to the drawing board. I spelunked a beautiful foodsavered ribeye, defrosted it, then looked again at the date I froze it. 8/12. Hm, 6 years of age may be a bit too long. Guess I'll have to come up with something else.

Good sounding dinners! Yes, Dawg - that's a bit long for a rib eye to be frozen. Makes me wonder what's down in the depths of my own freezer. :ohmy::LOL:

I was going to grill today, but it was too dang hot and I wasn't into it. I think I'll just browse through the fridge and see what I can come up with - something easy. :)

Kay....good deal on those artichokes!

YUM, pretty, looks great, wish I was there, and more everybody!!!

I scored the other day when I went for just a quick last minute somethin' that I needed at the closest megamart- Safeway - and found a full rack of "extra meaty Baby Back Ribs" :yum: $1.77/lb (total bill was $5.87 + tax-not bad)... I felt like the Sous Chef (where has he been by the way ?) and the deals he gets for Kayelle :LOL:

We had off-and-on rain and wind most of the afternoon, so I just pulled my cutie of a grill under the patio roof line. Low and slow, I basted our ribs with Noh Foods of Hawaii Original Hawaiian Bar-B-Que Sauce on my gas grill to a sticky-schmeared all over your face-not quite falling off the bone-five napkin-messy-yuminess
:chef:
002.jpg

Oh baby baby!!

003.jpg

sides were Master Piece BBQ Beans w/ Applewood Smoked Bacon
and homemade Coleslaw made with my second favorite, new mayonnaise

005.jpg

DUKE'S

Now I wish had tried this before we left that region of popularity,
but I suppose I can find it online somewhere.

My all-time-favorite mayo will remain Kewpie Japanese Mayo but that's really expensive luxury that is reserved for other dishes...

K-Girl, I bring a jar of Duke's home every time we take a trip down south. Still like Hellman's better. Different strokes...

In spite of their thin cut, Himself grilled the steaks perfectly. I shook just enough Back of the Yards seasoning on them. So good!IMG_20180903_213245325.jpg

My plans to smoke some ribs isn't likely to happen, as it is raining, and the rain is not supposed to go away today or tonight.

I can probably toss a burger or some hot dogs on the grill, though.

CD

It turned out to be hot dogs and French fries tonight. Actually, a pretty traditional Labor Day meal.

CD

Last night was a burger, homemade pickle chips, Thumann's potato salad, Tomato Salad Puttanesca (family liked it) and half a roll to soak up the salad juices.

tomato_salad_burger_090318_IMG_4833.jpg

tomato_salad_puttanesca_090318_IMG_4832.jpg

DUKE'S

/QUOTE]

About that Duke's mayo Kgirl...I don't like that stuff at all!! Ages ago I ordered 3 jars of it online because I heard all the rave reviews about it.
I had a really hard time using up the first jar and donated the other two jars to a food pantry. Gimmie good ole Best Foods/Helman's every time.

DUKE'S

/QUOTE]

About that Duke's mayo Kgirl...I don't like that stuff at all!! Ages ago I ordered 3 jars of it online because I heard all the rave reviews about it.
I had a really hard time using up the first jar and donated the other two jars to a food pantry. Gimmie good ole Best Foods/Helman's every time.
+1.... I also tried a jar of Duke's and discarded it..

Ross

DUKE'S

/QUOTE]

+1.... I also tried a jar of Duke's and discarded it..

Ross

Here's what's funny ... I LOVE Best Foods/Hellman's, `cuz that's what you're suppose to use for our "Local Style Mac Salad", but it just doesn't like me anymore.
BUT... when I used the Duke's, no tummy-issues!
:shrug:

Here's what's funny ... I LOVE Best Foods/Hellman's, `cuz that's what you're suppose to use for our "Local Style Mac Salad", but it just doesn't like me anymore.
BUT... when I used the Duke's, no tummy-issues!
:shrug:[/QUOTE]
You must go with what works for you... :)
Ross

Last edited:
Last year at Chef and the Farmer, we had Tom Thumb for an appetizer. It's a pork sausage cooked in the pig's appendix. They served it drizzled with a tangy white sauce, which was a great foil to the sausage. I asked the server what was in it. It was just Duke's Mayonnaise. It's all we buy now.

Back
Top Bottom