What meals do you drag out your fryer for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I've gone from Presto's bulkier Cool Daddy fryer, to the more simple Presto Fry Daddy. I used them both mainly for fried chicken drumettes with the best success, over frying fish and larger pieces of chicken.

I'll get to the point. Can those larger square counter top fryers accommodate a rack where I can fold a taco tortilla, put the cooked taco meat in, put it in the rack and sink it into the oil? That's how fast food places do it. I do alright slow cooking the taco meat, but I just don't like...or don't want to...hassle with frying up the taco shells in a skillet of oil. Some can do that well. I find it a messy hassle. Having a rack like fast food places use would make it easier.

Are most counter top fryers too small for such a procedure? Do they make such a rack for counter top fryers? I'm trying to evolve beyond making ground beef gringo tacos, altho...they aren't that bad.

Last edited:
Hi. Are you making one taco at time? Looking at my rectangular deep fryer, it looks like it would easily hold a taco shell rack. Though why are you deep-frying the Taco meat?

Though why are you deep-frying the Taco meat?

That's the way Mexican taco joints do it. If done correctly it comes out fine. However, often times they'll over fry it, which burns the meat. I'd love to have a bigger fryer like you have and see if I can find a taco shell rack that will fit it. I'm just terrible at frying up taco shells in a fry pan. Using a rack and taco shells with the meat inside eliminates that step.

Last edited:
That's the way Mexican taco joints do it. If done correctly it comes out fine. However, often times they'll over fry it, which burns the meat. I'd love to have a bigger fryer like you have and see if I can find a taco shell rack that will fit it.

We must be thinking about different Mexican taco joints. I have never seen one that cooks the shell and the meat together.
Sounds good though.

Here is a link to my deep fryer.
http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Si...d=1465444129&ref_=sr_1_2&s=home-garden&sr=1-2

We must be thinking about different Mexican taco joints. I have never seen one that cooks the shell and the meat together.
Sounds good though.

I'm talking about the taco shops that are locally owned, not big name places. Places with names like Roberto's, Alberto's, etc. The ones that are open 24 hours. There must be a dozens around here. They all fry the corn tortilla with the meat inside. They lower it into the oil using taco racks. The thing is...only about 1 in 5 taco joint cooks knows how to fry it right so that the meat inside isn't burned or dripping with oil. I sometimes crave a 2 beef taco plate combo that includes rice and beans. Not cheap...$8.00. Which is why I do a slow burn when I get hard shell beef tacos that are almost inedible. Talented cooks at those places are hard to come by. Large turnover of cooks at those joints.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the taco shops that are locally owned, not big name places. Places with names like Roberto's, Alberto's, etc. The ones that are open 24 hours. There must be a dozens around here. They all fry the corn tortilla with the meat inside. They lower it into the oil using taco racks. The thing is...only about 1 in 5 taco joint cooks knows how to fry it right so that the meat inside isn't burned or dripping with oil. I sometimes crave a 2 beef taco plate combo that includes rice and beans.

I was thinking of nearly every mom and pop Mexican food place around here. Not big names. Rosa's, Taco Villa.
So where are you?
Now I have made gorditas like that but the corn tortilla shell is a bit thicker and moister.

I was thinking of nearly every mom and pop Mexican food place around here. Not big names. Rosa's, Taco Villa.
So where are you?
Now I have made gorditas like that but the corn tortilla shell is a bit thicker and moister.

Southern Calif. It's too timely for these places to fry up a corn tortilla into a shell shape separately, then place the shredded meat inside that shell. It's all done in one step using the rack. When done correctly (timing the fry is everything) they're actually quite tasty (for those type of joints). I'm looking to do that at home where I won't over fry it. Then I'll heat up some refried beans and make up some Mexican rice for a lot less than $ 8.00 a serving.

Last edited:
I am in Texas.
So we were talking two different tacos.
I think my deep fryer would do it. Or if not mine, the one that is a bit bigger.
I like it much better than the fry daddy's.
Much easier to clean too.
Now do you need a quick, good Mexican rice recipe?

I am in Texas.
So we were talking two different tacos.
I think my deep fryer would do it. Or if not mine, the one that is a bit bigger.
I like it much better than the fry daddy's.
Much easier to clean too.
Now do you need a quick, good Mexican rice recipe?

I'm looking now to see what taco rack might fit in a home fryer like yours. I enjoy making the slow cooked taco beef. I just can't fry taco shells worth a damn. It's messy when I do it (folding them over) and some of the shells end up all the way closed. A taco rack with the meat inside the tortilla is what I'd like to try. The shell gets nice and crispy, are nicely shaped and the meat inside doesn't really get cooked more if done right.
I'm ashamed to say I use Mexican rice packets. Knorr's is pretty authentic tasting.

Last edited:
Cin's quick Mexican rice.
Chicken stock and same amount of rice.
1 can diced tomatoes or a couple of diced Roma tomatoes
Minced garlic about a 1/4 to a half teaspoon
Diced onion about a quarter cup or some minced onions
Large pinch of saffron
Dash each of cayenne and paprika
Diced green pepper (1/4 cup or so
1/4 cup or less diced pimento
A little cilantro
Salt to taste.
Put everything but the rice (I use minute) in a pan. Bring to a boil. Throw in minute rice. Cover and turn off heat.

Or if you own a steamer, rice cooker throw it all in there and steam about 30 minutes.

The smallest taco shell fryer rack I found is called Taco Mama. I'd probably be wise to buy the Taco Mama first, THEN, go into Walmart or whereever and physically see if it will fit. Some say it fits their fryer, others say it doesn't. Others said they cut off a part of it to fit (User Reviews).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APDRA5U/ref=s9_simh_gw_g325_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=W6HQPVXT456XAWA14V53&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=6aad23bd-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom