What's Cookin' Saturday 11/16 ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Grilled Delmonico Steak on a bed of Memphis-Style BBQ Sauce, Air-Baked Sweet Potato, "Tex-Mex" Sweet Corn with Chopped Poblano & Red Pepper, Salad of Iceberg, Beefsteak and Radish with Red Wine Vinaigrette...

Delmonico Steak.jpg

An untraditional paella. Finally got to use my Bomba rice. There's Maine lobster (small) claw and tail meat, shrimp, chicken, chorizo, some of Craig's home cured bacon that was leftover from something else, some sofrito that I made a huge batch of and froze in portions a while back, green peas and roasted red bell strips, and, of course, some saffron.

Attachments

• 2019-11-16 18.37.47.jpg
    2019-11-16 18.37.47.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 131
Family had Burger King. I had a burger (no bun) and a small boiled potato with butter.

That looks and sound delicious, medtran! So, how was that Bomba rice? Was it better than others for cooking the Paella?

I made a batch of chili today, unusual because the beans I used in it were black chick peas. I only used these because I cleaned up and re-organized my pantry section with all the jars of lentils, legumes, and grains, and labeled several to "use 1st". So this was one of them, and I didn't even know what I would use them in I just soaked and pressure cooked them in the IP, then slow-cooked the chili for about 5 hrs, and they still weren't falling apart. Definitely the hardest legume I have cooked! Also, one of my favorites. The chili has hardly any red, due to the darkness of the beans.
Chili, made with black chick peas and ground beef. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Also had some guacamole to snack on, while waiting for the chili. Made this with the last of the cherry tomatoes from the garden, and some of the last of the Hanoi Market peppers (my favorite for guac).
Guacamole to snack on, while waiting for the chili. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

That looks and sound delicious, medtran! So, how was that Bomba rice? Was it better than others for cooking the Paella?

r

Thanks, it came out really good. I'll only use 1 portion of the sofrito instead of the 2 I used tonight next time though.

I usually use Valencia, which is what Cubans and Puerto Ricans normally use. The Bomba started to form the soccarat a bit faster, but that was about the only difference. For the price difference, I'll probably stick with the Valencia from now on unless there is a special reason to use the Bomba.

We had a tray bake of chicken, Italian sausage cut into pieces, celeriac, turnip, carrots, sunchokes, potatoes, onion, and garlic. That turned out really good and I will make it again. We had more of the stewed plums with cream for dessert.
IMG_20191116_193118.jpg

We had potato, onion & kielbasa soup for lunch - and actually made just enough for our lunch and Mom had the leftovers for supper. I had leftover BBQ with a salad for supper.

SIL and her hubby were gone most of the day, so Himself and I did a little grocery run. I made salads and stuffed baked potatoes (with ham, broccoli, cheese, and a little Greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream) for the four of us when they got back.

We went to a Thai restaurant downtown for the first time. Very disappointing. The summer rolls were hot, as if they had been put in the microwave :huh: It turned out that the "peanut sauce" was bottled sweet Thai chili sauce with chopped peanuts on top. My pad Thai was tasty, but when I asked for the spice tray to give it some heat, it had a hot pepper powder, Sriracha with no flavor and pickled jalapeños with no flavor. It was really strange. DH liked his yellow curry with octopus, but again, he couldn't spice it up.

I have half of the plate of pad Thai leftover. I'll roast a chicken breast and have it for lunch tomorrow.

We went to a Thai restaurant downtown for the first time. Very disappointing. The summer rolls were hot, as if they had been put in the microwave :huh: It turned out that the "peanut sauce" was bottled sweet Thai chili sauce with chopped peanuts on top. My pad Thai was tasty, but when I asked for the spice tray to give it some heat, it had a hot pepper powder, Sriracha with no flavor and pickled jalapeños with no flavor. It was really strange. DH liked his yellow curry with octopus, but again, he couldn't spice it up.

I have half of the plate of pad Thai leftover. I'll roast a chicken breast and have it for lunch tomorrow.

I once went to a Thai resto with my sister. She really isn't used to hot so she wanted it to be a 2 on a heat scale of 10. Since we were having the same thing, they gave me mine the same way. I swear, it was something like -5 on a heat scale of 10. They gave me some hot sauce, which I tasted on its own, and it was hot, maybe a 6 or 7. But, when I put it on the food, the food went back to no heat whatsoever. Very peculiar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom