What's In Your Picnic Basket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB, you can have my basket, I'm going with kitchenelf!

:LOL: - Andy, we may have to invite GB and bring yours too.

Buckytom - yea, the "pressed" sandwich in my picnic basket is exactly what you are talking about! YUM!

*amy* - I gotta have my Tomato Pie heated - that stuff is nasty cold :LOL:

licia - which "two" are you talking about?

kitchenelf said:
Andy, we may have to invite GB and bring yours too.

This will work really well...since a lady called me the other night that just wants some simple Southern Fried Chicken, and "minter' cheese sammichs!:LOL:

I love picnics, and use almost any excuse to stage one...

some of my favorite things to pack include:

Muffuletta
Country Pate
Jambon Persille
Fried Chicken / Cold Roast Chicken
Goanese Roast Pork

depending upon the main course, favorite sides include potato salad; cole slaw; maque choux, cucumber salad; deviled eggs, assorted crudites,

"essentials" that almost always make the trip: mustard, cornichons, baguettes, cheese, fresh fruit in season.

for dessert we like: pie (I have a picnic basket that has a special compartment to hold a large Pyrex pie plate ;)), brownies, lemon coconut squares, coconut pound cake, other cookies.

and of course a couple of well chilled bottles of white or rose wine.

Last edited:
Picnic Menu's

Hello all! I ran across this thread and just had to join up so I could reply! Picnics are what we are all about!! Being an old southern boy and living by the beach I really like these!

Deep South Picnic
Cold Fried Chicken
Collard Greens With a Kick
Fresh-Corn Cornbread
Green Tomato Relish
Southern Iced Tea
Peach Upside-Down Cake

Beach Picnic
Chilled Oceanside Seafood Salad
Spill-Proof Ham Pitas
Herb-Marinated Tomatoes
Cranberry Iced Tea
No-Sand Pecan Sandies

Happy Picnicking!
Sam

Cold poached salmon with lemon slices
Wasabi rice salad
brie cheese and baquettes
Strawberries in balsamic vinager
sun brewed herbal ice tea

Oh, and I wouldn't be able to forget treats for the dogs!:LOL:

Hi Chef June,
Here you go:

Peach Upside-Down Cake
Serves 12

9 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon brown sugar
4 fresh peaches, pitted, skinned, and sliced
3/4 cup white sugar
3 eggs, whites and yolks separated
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

1) Preheat oven to 375˚F.

2) Place 1 tablespoon of the butter in a 9-inch round cake pan and place pan in oven. Once the butter has melted, pull pan from the oven, and stir the brown sugar into the melted butter. Spread to coat the bottom of the pan evenly. Arrange the peach slices in the pan and set aside.

3) Cream the remaining 8 tablespoons of butter with the white sugar. Beat in the egg yolks, then the milk and the vanilla extract.

4) In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.

5) In a separate bowl, stir the graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt together. Beat the graham cracker mixture into the egg yolk-butter mixture. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, over the peaches.

6) Bake cake for 40 minutes. Remove cake from oven and immediately invert the cake upside-down onto a large plate. Because this cake is so moist, it should be stored in the refrigerator.

Re:

Hey ChefJune,
Sorry for the slow response but cooling it completely is what we do. I guess I should ammend that on the recipe page.

Umm.... I'm usually just picnicking with Hector & the kids... so we bring sandwiches (I'll take special requests from everyone, cuz it would be WAY too easy if everyone liked the same kind of sandwich!!) Chips of some kind... brownies or cookies and water and/or juice boxes. This is usually backpacked for bike rides by the river.

I think adding some fried chicken or cold salads next time might be nice!

• marinated mushrooms
  • pepperoncini peppers
  • bleu cheese stuffed green olives
  • A variety of cheeses from the Sonoma Cheese Factory: Garlic Jack, Pesto Jack, Sage cheddar, and Smoked cheddar
  • Genoa salami
  • Bruschetta and crostini
  • A variety of crackers
  • A bottle of Pinot Grigio

I guess some good and easy sandwiches, like liverwurst, lettuce, and tomato on rye, some fruity drink, or milk, maybe some ingredients for making s'mores, and of course my cast iron fry pan so I can cook up whatever trout I catch while the wife and kids play on the beach, oh wait, I'm an empty nester now. Guess I'm gonna have to find activities that will include my wife on picnics now. And she hates the bugs and won't usually go out to the parks with me.:( I guess we'll just have to go to Tahquamanon Falls, spend too much on whatever junk food they have on site, and buy useless trinkets. I'll climb the three flights of stairs to the viewing platform and my wife will stay at the top. Then she'll pester me some more to buy some souvenirs of this place from where we always buy souvenirs that cost way too much. Then we'll go home and she'll say what a wonderful day we had.

I wanna go fishing, and leave the tourist traps behind. I don't want to see another soul. I want to hear the grouse drumming their wings, and swat mosquitoes, while I finesse a nightcrawler under a half-submerged log where that 14 inch brookie is waiting for lunch. I want to get muddy from the soles of my feet to my hips, and wade the cold water streams to cool off from the hot summer sun. I want my Dad to holler back "Hey Bobby", you Ok back there. C'mon son, catch up.

That's what I want, just for a day. And I want to be 12 years old again on that day.

Or, I want my kids to all be home, and we all go to the beach. my wife can sit/lay on the beach furniture while the rest of us play in the pristine water of Lake Superior. We will build a cooking fire in the sand from the driftwood we gather, and cook hot dogs on a stick, and make s'mores, and eat cold pork & beans from a can. And we'll tell stories, and have chicken fights in the water, and make drip castles in the sand. And I'll love the laughter of my children once more.

Picnics are for younger times, with kids, and freinds, not for a guy married to a wife who suffers from chronic pain and who even when she didn't, would rather watch TV than go to the beach.

I love my wife. I just wish she loved life more.

Wow! you can tell it's 2:31 in the morning and that I had to come in to work to do a server backup. I am really feeling melacholy tonight. I think I need some cheese to go with that wine. I'm going home and going to bed now. Sorry everyone. I don't usually get depressed, and I try to be cheeful. It's time to go. This thread touched a nerve. I don't get to have picnics anymore.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Could you post your recipe. I used to have one that I lost in our fire.

Ray

Ray,

Sorry, to hear that you lost your recipe. I am even more sorry to say that I buy the marinated mushrooms at a local deli and that I don't have a recipe for them. I wish I did. Hopefully, someone here at DC has a good recipe for marinated mushrooms will post a recipe for you.

Sierra :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom