When do you use liquid smoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Usually meats but can be used on anything. Just Be Aware! it is very strong and only a drop or two is needed.
If you were to grill something (or pan fry) and wanted that slight smokey wood flavour you'd get from a grill or open fire - that's when you would use it.

I quite like it but am always forgetting to use it. I have both mesquite and hickory flavours.

It is a staple in our house. A few drops, or even a lot of drops in baked beans works great. I might put a few drops in stir fry or most any instant pot dish.

I prefer Stubbs over the Wright version.

As for how much, it is preference. I've used a few drops and I've also dumped half a bottle or more when I wasn't paying attention. Both were yummy.

I had a bottle in the back of the cupboard for many years and finally tossed it.

I probably bought it to make some sort of barbecue sauce.

So far, I haven’t regretted my decision. 🤭

Thinking about it - can't really recommend a half bottle LOL - but you could probably even put a tiny drop in some scrambled eggs. If you don't taste it then next time try 2 drops.

It's use is strictly up to you. Do you like to season things and experiment? It is one of those things if you've never had you will never miss, or have had and couldn't care less, or hate or love. Although I think the only reason you would hate it is if you accidently used too much. You might think of it as being salty.

Obviously Sir LOB is in the intensely dislike category! He should perhaps say why?

Edit:
My bottles have a plastic insert in the lid with just a small hole, which to me says only use a small amount until you figure it out.

Thanks for the suggestion of using it with beans. I have some and we usually only think to add it to hamburgers.

Thinking about it - can't really recommend a half bottle LOL - but you could probably even put a tiny drop in some scrambled eggs. If you don't taste it then next time try 2 drops.

It's use is strictly up to you. Do you like to season things and experiment? It is one of those things if you've never had you will never miss, or have had and couldn't care less, or hate or love. Although I think the only reason you would hate it is if you accidently used too much. You might think of it as being salty.

Obviously Sir LOB is in the intensely dislike category! He should perhaps say why?

Edit:
My bottles have a plastic insert in the lid with just a small hole, which to me says only use a small amount until you figure it out.
Mine is just the big hole. I have to be careful. What brand do you use? Mine is Stubbs.

There is always a bottle in our fridge. And its always full as I am afraid to use it. I worry it will ruin the dish I am creating.
I even hesitate to use it in a quick BBQ sauce.
I guess I need a therapist?

I finally threw the bottle in our pantry away. It had been there for a VERY long time. I would imagine Craig bought it for one of his BBQ dishes.

Mine are called "Woodland" and are at least 5 years old and probably a heck of a lot older. They just sit in my cubboard - but I will start using them since this has been brought forward.

Years ago I red some recipe that called for liquid smoke. Then by the time I found one in a store, I could not remember the recipe and never used it. Not even sure if I finally threw it away, or is it still seating in the cabinet. :)

How do I add emoji?

It recognizes basic : and ) as that is how the emoji's are created in it's app. For others, go to the tool bar at the top of your own post. You will see 3 faint dots beside the link symbol. Clic on that, another bar drops down and you will see a smiley emoji, clic on that and make your choice. It is right beside the picture symbol for adding your pictures.

And as for items lost at the back of the cupboard. I have so many never been opened, never tried. Like you when I finally find the item, the recipe is long gone! :LOL:

I use it in pea soup, and other soups. I use it in marinades of things I grill. Ive used it to make mushroom bacon, carrot lox ( be open minded, not as bad as it sounds) , some stir frys. I always have liquid smoke and smoked paprika ion hand.
Being vegan, it's the only way to get a good " grill" or " Bacony" flavor.
**as mentioned above, a little goes a long way**

A large cattle and sheep operation near me buys it by the 55 gallon drum. They use it as a sheep dip and on cattle to fight flies etc. I used to dip my dogs in it in the spring of the year...prevented fleas and ticks for several months!

I have stuff in my cupboard that I bought for a specific recipe, but I don't remember which one anymore. So, I started adding them to my shopping list in Copy Me That. If a recipe has an ingredient that I will need to buy specifically for that recipe, I use the grocery cart icon, while on the recipe page, to add stuff to that grocery list. I don't necessarily add all the ingredients in the recipe, just the ones I don't always have on hand. Then three weeks later, when that package arrives from Amazon, I can look at the grocery list and figure out which recipe it goes with.

Back
Top Bottom