Where to get Goose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oneoffour

Senior Cook
Hey everyone,
How about some suggestions? Looking for sources eastern Pa or NJ for organic maybe free range goose. Google search was not that good unless I wanted a plush goose LOL or something from the UK! BDG maybe just me. Thought I would ask all the talented people here for suggestions...Thanks in advance

Do you have a Whole Foods market in your area? They sell fresh free-range &/or organic geese for the holidays. While they usually keep a few in the case, it's best to pre-order to ensure a bird.

We bought one one year. Cost about $45 & frankly I didn't see any difference between it & the frozen organic &/or free-range geese I now buy every year from any one of our local supermarkets - including Wal-Mart of all places!! In fact, the WalMart birds have been the best so far. The birds are always juicy & delicious, run approx. $2.69-$2.89/pound (so around $30-$35 or so depending on the size of the bird) & we've been roasting one every year for Xmas dinner for the last 20 years. Any leftovers go into our traditional New Year's Day "Cassoulet".

If you wait till it's closer to the holiday season, most of the supermarkets will carry a few. You could also google local poultry farms.

Hey everyone,
How about some suggestions? Looking for sources eastern Pa or NJ for organic maybe free range goose. Google search was not that good unless I wanted a plush goose LOL or something from the UK! BDG maybe just me. Thought I would ask all the talented people here for suggestions...Thanks in advance

Just look up, point and shoot!!! Isn't it migration time?
LOL!!!

A nice tasty plump fresh goose is generally a seasonal delicacy. A frozen one might be easier to find.

If you have a local grocery store that still has a meat counter with real people behind it, or a real butcher shop - they might be able to order one for you.

If all else fails: Lobel's has Free Range and Organic fresh poultry - "all-natural and raised on small Amish and Mennonite farms in the rolling hills of Pennsylvania Dutch country."

Last edited:
man, tense is everything, huh?

in past tense, i woulda said on my bottom. :angel:

but seriously, 1/4, check out this place: Home

Yes, goose is very seasonal beast, unless you buy frozen, here in the UK. the traditional time is Michaelmas. I usually notice them arriving in Novemberish, but mainly out for Christmas.

I love roast goose.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom