World's Best Mandoline...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Uncle Bob, the only time I use mine is for gratins. Other than that it's a good ol knife. If your knife skills are honed, you'll grab that first. I even cut fries by hand.

Uncle Bob, the only time I use mine is for gratins. Other than that it's a good ol knife. If your knife skills are honed, you'll grab that first. I even cut fries by hand.

You are totally correct! I've already concluded that after the "new" wears off it will be back to the knife...

I certainly don't "need" one! I was just thinking...since Santa Claus didn't leave me a new "toy"......:LOL:

My fiancee got me a mandolin through Pampered Chef a year ago+. I never really had much use for it until I decided to start making my own french onion soup. I'm really glad I have it now though. Usually onion cutting doesn't bother me, but when it does it does it in a big way. The best way to avoid getting hit by onion gas for me is speed. The capability to take a brand new whole medium onion and reduce it to soup ready (and regular) slices in less than 30 seconds is great. It comes with interchangeable blades, you can slice, ripple cut, or grate. Clean up is easy as the whole thing is dishwasher safe, just disassemble and go.

The only real problems I've had were stability (could be a bit of a pain when trying to use over a large bowl), and the "adjustable" blade doesn't really do a good job at adjusting to "thin" (but the V blade does a great job on onions).

The only real problems I've had were stability (could be a bit of a pain when trying to use over a large bowl),

I hold down the back leg on mine against the counter with my free hand.

I always use the guard and even with that I have come super close to loosing an appendage. On mine, large pieces like potatoes have to be fed by hand first, then you can use the holder. Well, when your ripping through 10 pounds of spuds for a gratin you kinda get into a mode. Anyway, I was one slide away from loosing a finger tip.

Jeekinz,

I have to disagree with the comment that a mandoline is a "Good ol knife"

You can cut fries by hand, but if you really want true, consistent fries, you should use a mandolin. Same goes for Pommes Souffless and many other dishes where frying is required.
The next time you are making fries, cut them with your mandoline. You will be surprised at the results.

Our son gave me a v-slicer (made in Germany, but I don't remember the maker) when he was in high school 20 years ago. I've used it for years but it is not cutting as crisply as before - time to replace it.

Jeekinz,

You can cut fries by hand, but if you really want true, consistent fries, you should use a mandolin. Same goes for Pommes Souffless and many other dishes where frying is required.
The next time you are making fries, cut them with your mandoline. You will be surprised at the results.

Not to mention the ability to do crinkle/criss cut fries. My favorite use of a mandolin is for making matchstick/haystack zucchini & carrots.

Jeekinz,

What I meant was:

You're not going to use the mandolin every time you need to slice something unless the time it takes to get the mandolin out and set it up is less time than it would take to slice something with a knife.

You also misread my post. Other than using the mandolin for gratins, I'll use a good ol knife. If you have good knife skills you know where I'm coming from.

I just ordered the Bron that's on sale. It seems to be a good deal. I hope that I'll like it. I also ordered the butcher's glove to save my fingers.

I now have my Bron. Does anyone know of a video demonstrating this particular mandoline? I'd like to see it used, before I give it a try.

Uncle Bob,
It really is an amazing tool!!!!
I think you'll enjoy using it. I've just started, but am getting comfortable with it's use. However, I know it is very sharp, so I use the guard and a butcher's glove.

Uncle Bob,
It really is an amazing tool!!!!
I think you'll enjoy using it. I've just started, but am getting comfortable with it's use. However, I know it is very sharp, so I use the guard and a butcher's glove.

Thanks for the report Miss Essie! Just don't get to comfortable with it. Take your time, go slow and "keep your eye on the ball"

Enjoy!

I just ordered the Bron that's on sale. It seems to be a good deal. I hope that I'll like it. I also ordered the butcher's glove to save my fingers.

I love my Bron, Essie. I have a Kevlar glove that I wear when I use it. I guess that's the same as a butcher's glove. You will grow to love and appreciate your mandoline.

Essiebunny and Katie E,
I was at a local appliances store and I don't know how or why, they had a Bron.
I asked the sales lady for a price since it seemed that was there since the beginning of time (broken box, no manual), she said "It is yours for $100".
So, right now I am also a proud owner of ones of these beauties. I coveted this for years -never had the courage to pay retail-, but she made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
I feeling like slicing carrots right now LOL

Essiebunny and Katie E,
I was at a local appliances store and I don't know how or why, they had a Bron.
I asked the sales lady for a price since it seemed that was there since the beginning of time (broken box, no manual), she said "It is yours for $100".
So, right now I am also a proud owner of ones of these beauties. I coveted this for years -never had the courage to pay retail-, but she made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
I feeling like slicing carrots right now LOL

Potatoes Dauphinois will now be no trouble at all! I also use it a lot in the summer for cucumbers, sour cream (vinegar, sugar, s&P) - I grew up on this stuff and I used to cry if my mother didn't slice the cukes thin enough :ermm:.

Homemade potato chips!!!!! Yep, and carrots...don't forget the waffle fries too!

Congratulations on you great buy!
You will really enjoy using it. You sliced foods will look so "professional".
Please do be very careful when using it.
You will find excellent directions when you do a google search for mandolins.

Back
Top Bottom