Christmas 2018 menu plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Christmas Eve Menu

Cold Shrimp Ring
Linguine with clams sauce
Fried Fillet of Sole

Salad with Zesty salad dressing:
  • TJ's Sorrento salad greens
  • Black olives or Kalamata olives
  • Green olives
  • Tomato
  • Cucumber
  • Sliced mushrooms
  • Stuffed grape leaves
  • Garlic Bread Sticks
Dessert
Pumpkin Pie
Whipped cream

Christmas Day Menu

Cheese, Meat & Fruit Platter:
  • Smoked Gouda
  • TJ's Smoked Cheese
  • Gouda
  • Muenster
  • Cheddar
  • Mild (Sweet) Sopressata
  • Pepperoni
  • Black olives
  • Green olives
  • Red Grapes
Townhouse Crackers
Triscuits Crackers

Salad with Zesty salad dressing:
  • TJ's Sorrento salad greens
  • Black olives or Kalamata olives
  • Green olives
  • Tomato
  • Cucumber
  • Sliced mushrooms
  • Stuffed grape leaves
  • Garlic Bread Sticks
Dinner
Eye round roast
Burgundy gravy
Mashed potatoes w/ShopRite Cream cheese spread - onion chive
Baby spinach
Orange glaze Carrots
Mini Yorkshire Puddings

Dessert
Apple Pie
Whipped Cream

I have made a few changes since I posted original menu.

Fried Fillet of Flounder (Sole was unavailable where I shop)
Twice baked potatoes (added to menu)

Mom, Dad and I are having Ham, Sweet Potatoes, Green Beans with Bacon and Pumpkin Cheesecake with pecans.

So many of you are making rib roasts, I almost want to make one. Except that I'm not a fan of rib roasts and I'm the cook, so I'll get a different cut if I decide on beef. :LOL: It might be some sort of sirloin roast. Or we might end up with a smoked ham. I'll find out tomorrow when I shop. And if everything has been bought? Gotta punt then.

...but being remarkably lazy and manipulative millenials, they somehow convinced my wife to bake a large ham, along with bringing all of the bread (Polish rye, semolina, King's Hawaiian rolls) and a dessert...
Eleanor Roosevelt was credited with saying "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent". I suppose the same thing could be said about getting coerced to do more than you had planned. Time to practice with your wife. Have her keep saying "No" each time you ask her to do something. Or does she tell YOU that already, since you're her hubby? :ermm:

So many of you are making rib roasts, I almost want to make one. Except that I'm not a fan of rib roasts and I'm the cook, so I'll get a different cut if I decide on beef. :LOL: It might be some sort of sirloin roast. Or we might end up with a smoked ham. I'll find out tomorrow when I shop. And if everything has been bought? Gotta punt then.

Eleanor Roosevelt was credited with saying "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent". I suppose the same thing could be said about getting coerced to do more than you had planned. Time to practice with your wife. Have her keep saying "No" each time you ask her to do something. Or does she tell YOU that already, since you're her hubby? :ermm:

I'm not quite sure if that's a joke or an insult, but you really don't know my wife. She's no pushover in ANY way. Her strength and fortitude is a large part of why I love her.
Plus, She almost makes the day begin. I've grown accustomed to her face... :cool:

Actually, without skipping a beat, she realized that baking a ham, with help transporting it, is a heck of a lot less work than making 4 kielbasis in casserole. So she was OK with it.

Sorry if I interpreted your comment wrong, bt. The way you described your darling relatives made me think your wife got railroaded into more work. Glad to see this works out easier for her.

This Christmas, I'm thankful that those teacher relatives of yours are not my relatives. ;)

Last edited:
More than half of my extended family are teachers, hence the familial disdain.

I'm all for increasing teacher's pay by a lot, but then with today's technology, the teachers have to bring it: all scholastic data (books, worksheets, etc.) should be available online at any time to any grade, as well as all any graded or scored test and quizzes should be recorded for the student to see by early evening of that day, with the corrected form.

Last edited:
LOL, I just realized that this is a menu thread.

Sorry, Ms Mofet.

Now back to your regular programming...

BT, I'd love to be with you to watch the dynamics of your family,lol.
My family we all get on well, no drama here. Just good vibes. I'm blessed.

Russ

If you get in the car to the airport now, you might make it. Bring the lot! We've got room.

Christmas is Cancelled, my daughter is sick so we have no quest and the she cant eat the food, so we just going to boil potatoes and eat some ham.

Homemade pizza on Christmas Eve has been a tradition for as long as I can remember, so I am making a Sicilian pizza in a half sheet pan, half anchovy and pepperoncini, and half pepperoni and mushroom, and taking it to the rehab center to share with my father and whomever else shows up.

Christmas dinner will be prime rib, garlic mashed potatoes, haricot verts, brioche rolls, and pecan pie for dessert, all again taked to the rehab center to share with my father and whomever else shows up.

I had planned on making and serving this all at home, until my father had a mild stroke a week ago Friday. You know what a mild stroke is, right? Its a stroke that happens to someone else!

Our family will be going to my older son's house again this year. The SC and I will again be taking 4 roasted ducks we'll cook here at home and others will fill in the menu. The recipe for them is a real winner and I'd be glad to post it for anyone interested.

KL, Pirate's birthday is the 27th of December. As his godmother, my sister every year made him a roasted duck just for him. I would love the recipe so that I can continue the tradition.

One year he was at my sister's home to eat his duck. Her husband was sitting there drooling. Pirate was not a very gracious birthday boy. He let my BIL have the bones. I know I taught him better than that.

Well, I did the pulled pork, it's in the smoker as I type. I have poppers ready to go I. the morning and there are three different versions of NC vinegar sauce in the fridge as well. Red coleslaw will have to wait until I take a nap in the morning.

No baked goods. Just didn't have enough time. It's amazing how long it takes sometimes. I'm glad I got started early. I had planned to drink the night away, but I'm too tired.

Just me and the dog staying up all night. Well, I'm up all night. He's keeping me company by napping.

Christmas dinner will a conspiracy between DD and me. She didn't want a roast anything, ham, or a turkey. The weather is decent (sunny in the low 30's), so I'm taking some marinated steak tips, marinated b/s chicken thighs, and Italian sausage for the grill. A big green salad as well (everything easily transported). I'll find out what she is making when we get there. She's also responsible for the appetizers. SIL's job is to make sure there is gas for the grill. Mrs. T will be playing with the grandkids.

Feeling a little ripped off by the ButterBall people..my turkey had no neck in the cavity..I use it and the heart to make a stock to add to my dressing and gravy..I had to cut off the wings to replace it..nobody eats them anyway..

Hello all, and Christmas Greetings!

In Italy, we're several hours a head from you. However, whether or not what happened has no times or any thing to do with what our Christmas lunch.

I bought a large turkey, something our beloved English Setter he had never had never smelled before, and he went berserk because of the smell of it. I could'nt keep away from it!. He had several tries at getting at it, and I had to put in a saline bath, but to no avail.

The stuffing was ground pork, chestnuts, herbs, brandy, and one or two other additions, but Lucas didn't care about that.....Because Lucas, behind our back, took he the whole turkey, and started to eat it under the kitchen table.....The rest is history

Back
Top Bottom