Dinner, Sunday July 13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i thought about lemons, but i have so many nicks and cuts on my hands that i was afraid. :( ouchie!

how do you keep it if you can't use it all up? is freezing a possibility or does it turn black that way? someone said to add a vitamin C tablet in there when making so keep the color but that sounds weird to me.

I will keep this batch in the frig until we finish it, I predict it will last maybe two weeks, maybe less:). It does not turn black, although the top layer will turn a darker green, does not seem to be a problem, I scrape that layer off first when using the pesto. Yes, I freeze this pesto, right away when I make a batch for the freezer. I line a cookie sheet with waxed paper, dollop on about 1/2 cup blobs, and freeze. When frozen, I roll up pesto in the waxed paper and store the whole unit in freezer bags. I freeze between one and two gallons of pesto in a good season. Nope, I do not add vit c or anything else. But I do add the parmesan cheese when I make the pesto and freeze it with the cheese in it.

I will keep this batch in the frig until we finish it, I predict it will last maybe two weeks, maybe less:). It does not turn black, although the top layer will turn a darker green, does not seem to be a problem, I scrape that layer off first when using the pesto. Yes, I freeze this pesto, right away when I make a batch for the freezer. I line a cookie sheet with waxed paper, dollop on about 1/2 cup blobs, and freeze. When frozen, I roll up pesto in the waxed paper and store the whole unit in freezer bags. I freeze between one and two gallons of pesto in a good season. Nope, I do not add vit c or anything else. But I do add the parmesan cheese when I make the pesto and freeze it with the cheese in it.

The color change is just oxidation - I mix it in the next time I use it. You can also pour a thin layer of olive oil over the top, to prevent air from getting to the basil and causing the color change.

I made sandwiches and pesto pasta for lunch yesterday from pesto I had frozen last fall. Delish! I thawed it on the counter, added evoo and some fresh Parm (had already added the cheese when I made it, just wanted some more), mixed it with rotini and topped it with chopped tomatoes. I used some of the pesto as a sandwich spread on a toasted baguette with sliced grilled chicken, roasted yellow peppers, pepper Jack cheese and romaine.

btw, for dinner we had grilled chicken thighs, leftover pesto pasta and romaine topped with grilled peppers and onions. DH brought home some chocolate-peanut butter ice cream for dessert.

The color change is just oxidation - I mix it in the next time I use it. You can also pour a thin layer of olive oil over the top, to prevent air from getting to the basil and causing the color change.

I made sandwiches and pesto pasta for lunch yesterday from pesto I had frozen last fall. Delish! I thawed it on the counter, added evoo and some fresh Parm (had already added the cheese when I made it, just wanted some more), mixed it with rotini and topped it with chopped tomatoes. I used some of the pesto as a sandwich spread on a toasted baguette with sliced grilled chicken, roasted yellow peppers, pepper Jack cheese and romaine.

ohhhhh, i'm just waiting for some fresh ripe tomatoes from the garden, but am probably at least one month away...tomatoes and pesto seem to be a natural combo

Back
Top Bottom