Doing dinner Friday, 7-2-2021?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Himself grilled between the rain mist, but we finally had hot dogs. Bush's baked beans, Aldi Potato Puffs, and relish nibbles completed our plates.

What is/was your meal? IMG_20210702_203508302.jpg

Crab stuffed Key West Pink Shrimp, with butter sautéed sugar snap peas, and buttered corn on the cob, lightly seasoned with black pepper.:yum:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North:yum:

Attachments

• 20210702_180359.jpg
    20210702_180359.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 58
Tonight was a no-cook supper. We had smoked salmon on bagels with cream cheese, sliced onion, and capers. They were accompanied by garlic dill pickles and Dragon Lady sesame noodles. I took the picture before I put salmon on the second half of the bagel. I put the capers and onion under the salmon, so it won't fall off. We eat our smoked salmon on bagels open faced.

smoked salmon on a bagel, sesame noodles, garlic dill pickle.jpg

Tonight I made my favorite Szechwan eggplant, using two eggplants plus that short bottle gourd, plus some ground venison, instead of pork, turkey, or beef, all of which I have used - everything was good! Instead of serving it with white rice, or pasta (things I have used countless times with it), I cooked up some spelt, and some channa dal, to make it more nutritious. I cooked 1 1/4 c spelt in the Instant Pot on low pressure for 15 min., then released the pressure. Then I added 1 1/2 c rinsed channa dal, and cooked at 5 min., then let the pressure release naturally. Then I rinsed all this in cool water, and drained, while I prepared the rest of the ingredients. Then, when the dish is finished in the wok, the spelt and lentils were stirred into it, until totally mixed.
Finished Szechwan eggplant/bottle gourd. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tonight was Scallops with Lemon-Basil Sauce. Also had smashed potatoes and spinach. Everything was very delicious. Later on had watermelon for dessert. Very refreshing!!!

Picked up some deli roast beef and munster cheese in the morning so, we had thick roast beef sandwiches for dinner.

Strawberries with lightly whipped heavy cream was dessert.

Ross

Shrimps sautee'd in Butter, Garlic & Pepper, Boiled Rice and Peas & Carrots........ Buttery, Garlic-y Pan Drippings on the Rice.......

Shrimp, Garlic-Pepper.jpg

Did I mention that I sprained both wrists last week? We were up in Williamsburg, VA, for an overnight trip and I fell. It wasn't serious, but I have some bruises and sprained both wrists, so it's been difficult making dinner lately.

So, last night, DH grilled BBQ chicken thighs and corn on the cob. It hurts too much to cut up everything for a salad, so we had sliced cucumbers and ranch dressing. It's getting better, but I can't wait till this heals.

Did I mention that I sprained both wrists last week? We were up in Williamsburg, VA, for an overnight trip and I fell. It wasn't serious, but I have some bruises and sprained both wrists, so it's been difficult making dinner lately.

So, last night, DH grilled BBQ chicken thighs and corn on the cob. It hurts too much to cut up everything for a salad, so we had sliced cucumbers and ranch dressing. It's getting better, but I can't wait till this heals.

Off topic: Learning to fall properly in Judo and Kuk Sul Won classes has saved me from numerous sprains, and probably broken bones.

GG, if you are able, I highly recommend the trading, once your wrists are better. At the very least, get your younger loved ones into Judo, Jiu Jitu (Japanese style), or Kuk Sul Wan. I have taken many falls that without the training, could have been catastrophic, lipping on ice and falling flat on my back, and stomach, a 12 foot high deer stand collapsed, dropping me to the ground, stepped off of a two story roof twice in the same day, and came out without so much as a bruise (don't ask), accidently drove off of a 30 foot cliff while dirt biking, again, not so much as a bruise, and there are many more. Yes, I was highly active, an adrenaline seeker, and sometimes leapt before I looked. At 2 years of age, I started my oldest boy, and his 4 year old sister the falling techniques that I had become so good at. I was at work one day, and when I got home, I was told we had to rush our son to the hospital. He'd climbed onto the back of an upstairs chair, leaned ageist tge screen of an open window, and fell the 2 stories to sunbaked clay, and softball sized rocks. Fortunately, he was unhurt, save for a few bruises on his forearms. The Dr. stated that it looked like he used his forearms to break his fall, which is just what I had been training him to do. Two years later, a news story came on about a 2 year old boy wh fell from a 2nd story window, and sadly, perished. I was sure glad I had taught my kids how to fall. Can you tell that I'm a big fan of falling techniques?

I hope your wrists heal quickly, and with as little pain as possible.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I took a jiu jitsu course in my early twenties, when I lived in Denmark in the 1970s. I remember learning and practising those falling techniques. I even practised a bit long after that course. I wonder if that's why I have yet to break or sprain a wrist when falling. I took two falls that each broke my right kneecap. No issues with my wrists. Hmm

(((Hugs))) Sounds like you managed to get a delicious dinner on the table anyways. Don't overuse those wrists.

Does your food processor grate stuff like cabbage and carrots? May I suggest making a big batch of cole slaw for the duration. Or, even buy the already grated stuff to make your own. Another suggestion: a pasta salad with all the additions chopped or grated by a machine and the pasta pot lifted off the stove and drained by your DH. Yeah, I know you weren't asking for suggestions, but I couldn't help myself. :angel:

Scouted the fridge: leftover tomato/roast red pepper soup, a half pint of cream, a cup of stock, some white wine. Recalled a Dungeness crab cluster in the freezer. So I made a crab/tomato bisque.

Cracked the joints on the crab and steamed it for 20 minutes. Let it cool and extracted the meat.

Minced onion and garlic, sizzled in olive oil, added black pepper and Old Bay seasoning, then white wine. Hit it with the immersion blender 'til smooth. Then plopped in the leftover tomato soup and the cream. Added some of the water from the crab steamer and salt. Simmered it until it thickened. Then added the coarsely chopped crab and chopped fresh parsley.

Xlj8qRE.jpg

Served with a warmed baguette, butter, and a rather good California chardonnay.

Last edited:
Hi Bitser, glad to hear from another crab lover. Looks and sounds REAL GOOD!!!!!!!

G. G. HI, so sorry to hear about your wrists. Hope they will be healed real soon. Of course, it is nice to have someone wait on you and cook for you, isn't it.? lol On second thought, I heard that sprained wrists take a REAL LONG TIME to heal. lol.

Thanks, friends - I appreciate the good wishes and the suggestions. I do need to use my food processor more, tl. Chief, I wish I could do that kind of training, but I'm not physically able to. Thank you for the thought.

Did I mention that I sprained both wrists last week?...It's getting better, but I can't wait till this heals.

So sorry to hear that, GG. [emoji53] Like the others have said, heal quickly.

While I haven't sprained a wrist, I have sprained a knee and an ankle. Each time, they felt better when they were immobilized or supported with a wrap of some sort. Maybe some type of wrist support would help? Not much else I can do since we're so far away.

So sorry to hear that, GG. [emoji53] Like the others have said, heal quickly.

While I haven't sprained a wrist, I have sprained a knee and an ankle. Each time, they felt better when they were immobilized or supported with a wrap of some sort. Maybe some type of wrist support would help? Not much else I can do since we're so far away.
Thanks, CG. DH has three, so I have a few to choose from [emoji16]

Back
Top Bottom