Pasta Night Here-What about "There"? 7/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Shrimp & minced Clams in White Sauce over bow-tie Pasta, Garlic toast (Onion roll)

Shrimp & Clams over bow ties.jpg

I just packaged up all 5+ pounds of the Kalua Pork that I made the other day, so I've decided that we should have this

kalua pig and cabbage.jpg
(file photo)

If I had thought ahead, just a little more, we'd be having Lomi Lomi Salmon too, but ... *shrug* next time.

IMG_0109.jpg
(file photo)

I got 10 two serving portions for future meals stashed away in my
BRAND NEW STAND UP FREEZER!!! (she says very loudly and with glee)
:clap:
:LOL:

I got a migraine, so we had "grabbit" - go to the fridge and grab it. Apparently, that's a term from Newfoundland. Anyhoo, we finished off the ham, cheese, and ham cups and the asparagus appetizer. DH had a couple of large sandwiches of various cold cuts, cheese, lettuce, mayo, and seedy mustard. I also had salami on knækbrød (Scandinavian crisp rye bread).

Impending weather foiled Himself's grilling assignment (in retrospect he would have had time), and a slow rise for my loaf of bread put the kabosh on BLT's (I think the yeast was stale), so I went to my regular fall-back plan - breakfast for supper. We're eating in stages tonight. Earlier we had pan fried ham steak, soft scrambled eggs with Spice House Lake Shore Drive seasonig and American cheese, and little tomatoes dusted with Hawaiian black sea salt and crushed Grains of Paradise. I'll post a photo of what we have later...later
IMG_20210714_203357202.jpg

Parents and I took my Sister out to dinner. I ordered a new addition to the menu, Pork Chops...too much fat removed prior to grilling, very dry and bland. The cats and dog loved it. Luckily I ate too much from the salad bar, so I am not hungry.

Filipino Pansit Bihon was served here. It is a very savory noodle dish, traditionally made with thin, bite sized pieces oc chicken and pork, and served over rice noodles. I modified it to suit the tastes of my grandsons.1

Here's what I made.

Ingredients:
lb pancit bihon Rice Noodles (I used spaghetti noodles)
1 lb. pork cut into small thin slices
1/8 lb. pea pods or snow pea
1 cup carrot
1 cup celery leaves chopped finely
1 medium sized onion chopped
1 tbsp. garlic minced
1 pc chicken cube
5 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp. dark brown sugar
2 tbsp. Hoisin sauce
3 cups water
2 tbsp. vegetable oil

Heat the oil in a large, ceramic coated Dutch oven. Add the onion, and minced garlic. stir over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the meat. Stir until lightly browned on all sides. Add the remaining ingredients, except the peas and noodles, and cover. Simmer over low heat for three hours. Remove the lid. Remove the meat and set aside. Increase the heat to medium high and boil to reduce to a thin syrup. Cook the noodles in salted water for nine minutes, or al dente. Strain. When the sauce will coat a spoon, add the peas, meat, and noodles to the Dutch oven, Use tongs to fold everything together evenly. Serve with pink lemonade.

This was such a hit that the boys volunteered to clean the table, and do the dishes. Good thing, as today was dialysis day, and I am worn out. Bu t it was worth it to see the grandsons eating with gusto.:D The only downside, not enough left over for Mom and Dad.:ohmy:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Pasta night here, too! I made my first pasta salad of the summer, with the raw tomatoes, garlic, and basil, and olive oil, this time with some anchovies chopped up in it, as well. I also put some cooked kamut (just to use up the last half cup in the jar), and a can of cannellini, and a can of black beans, rinsed. When the pasta was finished, I put these other 3 ingredients in, just to heat them up, then drained all of it, and combined it with the raw tomato mix. One of my favorite summertime dishes.

3 lbs tomatoes, diced up, salted and drained, with a lot of garlic, anchovies, and some olive oil. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Basil, and a little bit of Thai basil, ready to cut up for adding to the tomatoes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

First pasta salad of the season, using tomatoes, garlic, and basils, from this season. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom