WFD May the fourth be with you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskadoodle

Executive Chef
I read this somewhere.

SO made a salade Olivier Russe and it's been in the frig chilling most of the day. Poached chicken, potatoes, onion, capers, dill pickles, mayo and I don't know what else.

Leftie Night !

Last night's Creole' Sauce over Egg Noodles, with one of Sam's Club's Big Franks....

Dopg in Creole' Sauce over Noodles.jpg

I smoked a slab of beef ribs last nignt..they were from the rib eye end so they were huge...gf had one..I have a bunch left so I ate three cold ones with some left over slaw...jelly beans for desert.:LOL:

Mushroom sauce with spaghetti rigatti, with some finishing truffle salt.

Attachments

• 2020-05-04 18.09.48.jpg
    2020-05-04 18.09.48.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 81
We're having a meal of Hungarian goulash soup topped with sour cream. Rolls and butter on the side.

I made the supper I planned for yesterday, when it was warm. Today, it's chilly, but I made it anyways. It's a salad with tuna. I put out the leftover carrot and daikon slaw to add to the salad. It wasn't as good as I had hoped. It was still not bad.

Attachments

• IMG_20200504_191115.jpg
    IMG_20200504_191115.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20200504_190447.jpg
    IMG_20200504_190447.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 91
Tonight, I made up a dish using the Instant Pot, with some dried tomatoes and eggplants - approximately 3 lbs worth of tomatoes, and 2 lbs worth of eggplants. I toasted the tomatoes briefly in a dry skillet, then soaked in hot water until soft; the eggplants were soaked in hot water until I finished all of the preps, and it was still sort of hard, but it was to be pressure cooked, so no problem. The tomatoes were blended to just 5 cups, so it was thick. I cooked some onions, garlic, and bell peppers, and set them aside, then added some spelt, barley, thyme, and chopped parsley and basil (half of the large amount of basil, leftover from the cuttings), plus the eggplant and some more water, and set the IP to 15 min to pressure cook. When done, I released the pressure, stirred in about 1/2 c toor dal, and re-set it to pressure cook 10 more minutes. When the pressure was released naturally, I stirred the onions, garlic, and peppers back into it, along with the second half of the basil, and that was it!
Cooked peppers, onions, and garlic, added after the pressure cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dish, made with dried tomatoes and eggplants. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dish served with some grated pecorino. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

SC had his yearly Dr. appointment today 15 miles from home and we phoned in a take out order for our dinner from our favorite "Poke Land". He came home only to discover they gave him the wrong order. He called to explain and complain about our driving distance to return it!! I was in desperate need to get out of the house so I drove him back the 15 miles in my car to exchange it. Actually, it worked out fine for that reason and they not only completed the right order, but gave us a credit for two free meals and I got out of the house for a change. They were delicious...

Last edited:
Tonight, I made up a dish using the Instant Pot, with some dried tomatoes and eggplants - approximately 3 lbs worth of tomatoes, and 2 lbs worth of eggplants. I toasted the tomatoes briefly in a dry skillet, then soaked in hot water until soft; the eggplants were soaked in hot water until I finished all of the preps, and it was still sort of hard, but it was to be pressure cooked, so no problem. The tomatoes were blended to just 5 cups, so it was thick. I cooked some onions, garlic, and bell peppers, and set them aside, then added some spelt, barley, thyme, and chopped parsley and basil (half of the large amount of basil, leftover from the cuttings), plus the eggplant and some more water, and set the IP to 15 min to pressure cook. When done, I released the pressure, stirred in about 1/2 c toor dal, and re-set it to pressure cook 10 more minutes. When the pressure was released naturally, I stirred the onions, garlic, and peppers back into it, along with the second half of the basil, and that was it!
Cooked peppers, onions, and garlic, added after the pressure cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dish, made with dried tomatoes and eggplants. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dish served with some grated pecorino. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Isn't your dish similar to a ratatouille, or hash? From my understanding, a ratatouille is simply a mixture of fresh veggies from the garden, a way to use up what's there, so to speak? If you give it a sweet & sour flavor, it become a caponata. In any case, it looks very good. All it's missing is the summer squash.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
SC had his yearly Dr. appointment today 15 miles from home and we phoned in a take out order for our dinner from our favorite "Poke Land". He came home only to discover they gave him the wrong order. He called to explain and complain about our driving distance to return it!! I was in desperate need to get out of the house so I drove him back the 15 miles in my car to exchange it. Actually, it worked out fine for that reason and they not only completed the right order, but gave us a credit for two free meals and I got out of the house for a change. They were delicious...

K-L, Poke as in Ahi Poke?

Reverse Seared beef Picanha (Culotte) fresh picked asparagus & Fried pork belly wrapped onion rings.

39817-albums960-picture8268.jpg
[/IMG]
39817-albums960-picture8267.jpg
[/IMG]

Isn't your dish similar to a ratatouille, or hash? From my understanding, a ratatouille is simply a mixture of fresh veggies from the garden, a way to use up what's there, so to speak? If you give it a sweet & sour flavor, it become a caponata. In any case, it looks very good. All it's missing is the summer squash.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
That's exactly what I based those flavors on, Chief - my favorite recipe of ratatouille, but I add those grains, for some fiber, and some lentils, for proteins. I never put zucchini in it - I can't grow it here, due to squash vine borers, and I prefer eggplant, plus, I have a large amount of it! And a caponata is another favorite of mine, when I get those things in the summer - I have 8 plants this year, and only 4 of them produced more than I needed last season, with a generous amount of dried eggplants, as well!

Last edited:
I read this somewhere.

SO made a salade Olivier Russe and it's been in the frig chilling most of the day. Poached chicken, potatoes, onion, capers, dill pickles, mayo and I don't know what else.

Oy, you would need a force to eat this. Onions, pickles in Olivier is at best not necessary.
Potatoes
Carrots
Hard boiled
Green peas
Boiled chicken.

You can add smoked turkey, crab meat. Yes, some people add pickles and onions.
Really, how should I put it politely? Not the finest version of salad Olivier.

I made couscous salad with grilled vegetables and a vinaigrette with white wine vinegar and warmed up sliced ribeye steak from Sunday.
20200504_205141.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom