What's cookin' Wednesday - 11/10?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Pasta Night !
Mussels, steamed in a Tomato-Garlic Broth, served over Thin Spaghetti...........

Mussels, Garlic -Tomato Broth.jpg

Yum, LT. DH has requested that for Sunday Pasta Supper ;)

Mom said that she needed a haircut again.
When I took her to hairdressers back 6 weeks ago,
she claimed that she only needed to have her "hairs cut"
twice a year :huh:
HMMMM :glare: yea right!
:LOL:

One of the local Supermarkets is two doors over,
so we went and picked up a few things and as we
were getting back into the car, my stomach said,
FEED ME!!!
:ROFLMAO:

Right across the parking lot was a new-to-us Mexican Restaurant...
Moi: "Ya hungry Ma?"
Mother: Meh, I could eat. Whatcha thinkin?

IMG_1040.jpg

We shared.
A Chile Relleno lunch special plate, from the appetizer menu-Mini Chimis, one each beef, chicken and pork, chips, salsa and guac --- and a Margarita for moi ;)

We wound up taking home one of the Chimis, some of the guac, salsa and chips.

Don't know what DH's having, but we're both still stuffed :)

Homemade ham, ricotta, mozzarella cheese calzone. I made homemade pizza dough this time. Pizza sauce on the side to dip.

ham_cheese_calzone_111021_1_IMG_8904.jpg

ham_cheese_calzone_111021_2_IMG_8906.jpg

We ordered a late lunch / early supper from a local sandwich resto, Dagwoods. We would have ordered Greek food, but they don't deliver until 18:00. We had been up since 07:00 and had put in a fair bit of physical labour moving stuff, so by 15:00 we were starving and unwilling to wait for the Greek food. Probably have that tomorrow. The electricians arrived on time, at a few minutes before 08:00. The surprise was that they also needed to check our baseboard heaters and one of them is behind some shelving that has lots of crystal glasses, some porcelain vases, lots and lots of books, and some other stuff. We thought we had to move all of it off the shelving. I got the breakable stuff off and DH got a lot of the books off. Luckily they could move the shelving enough at that point to do the inspection.

The sandwiches were excellent. The kitchen, as well as most of the rest of the house, is a disorganized disaster area. We are both seriously exhausted, so ordering out was pretty much the only option. We were so tired that neither one of us felt we could even manage to find and nuke some leftovers.

Finally had a real meal on our third day on the road. Monday and Tuesday were unmitigated disasters: got a late start Monday, got into a 12-mile traffic jam along the CT/NY border (Himself got off the freeway about five miles in, but we still wasted around 45 minutes), and ate sandwiches and veggies while driving. After booking the hotel room for the night, Himself found out it was the wrong date! Forty-five minutes later things were fixed...and we cracked open a bag of dark chocolate covered pretzels. Then Tuesday presented us with two traffic jams and a slowdown. One was because a semi was run off the road into the median and his cab was dangling over the underpass road while his trailer tail was pointing straight up; one was a field fire sending waves of smoke across the road; one involved a semi and a couple of motorcycles involving life flight. More sandwiches and fruit/veggies from the cooler...and dark chocolate covered pretzels.

Today we celebrated no road problems. Headed into Savannah for the Savannah Station, thinking instead it was the Cotton Exchange. Didn't matter because when we came out of the maze of streets we saw a Cuban restaurant. So welcoming! Great service, wonderful food. Ahhh...

I had the mixed plate with pulled pork roast, ropa Viejo, and roasted chicken, and a side of assorted grilled veggies. Himself had grilled grouper with beans and rice and fried plantains. We shared a delicious coconut flan. Himself said he would have one bite. I had to pull it away from him when it was half gone!

View attachment 49809View attachment 49810IMG_20211110_200832756_HDR.jpg

Geeze CG. Jeannie and I live such a sheltered life, compared to you two. :ermm:;)

Saw, a few days ago, Molly Yeh putting together a romaine salad with Blu cheese, bacon and dried cherries topped with a warm bacon fat dressing. Didn't have cherries so used dried cranberries, which Jeannie prefers. The dressing is simple. Warm bacon fat, red wine vinegar and Dijon mustard.

Wonderful salad, with buttered crackers.

Ice cream was dessert.

Ross
IMG_20211110_142404477.jpg

Last edited:
Ross, normally our drive to and from Florida is much quieter. I told Himself that driving from Ohio to Florida has had way less traffic, though, and it's about time we made that our route. Any excuse to get him to help me get the house on the market...

That salad looks like Christmas! Might be a nice addition to the menu next month. Recipe, please?

Last edited:
Ross, normally our drive to and from Florida is much quieter. I told Himself that driving from Ohio to Florida has had way less traffic, though, and it's about time we made that our route. Any excuse to get him to help me get the house on the market...

That salad looks like Christmas! Might be a nice addition to the menu next month. Recipe, please?

I'm thinking that Ohio just might be, all around better for y'all. ;)

Here is the link w/video for Molly Yeh's Romaine Salad with Bacon Fat Dressing. :yum:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/romaine-salad-with-bacon-fat-dressing-9471041

We were out for breakfast this morning and Jeannie asked if we could do that salad weekly. Its so simple and good that, of course I said yes. :)

Ross

Last edited:
Oh, my CG! You must have thought about giving up or turning around at least once or twice!?

Wednesday was DH birthday. I made BBQ/Sous Vide baby back ribs (finished on the grill), twice baked taters, baked beans and garlic cheese rolls. He enjoyed the meal very much! :chef:

IMG_5799 (2).jpg

Mine was a late lunch early supper. Baked salmon on potato slices, garnished with leaftover seasoned panko and sesame seeds. Positively Delish!! but... couldn't finish for some reason?
Stomach just said no!
Sigh...20211110_135516.jpg20211110_141724.jpg

Tonight I tried something new: pork filet with mustard-rosemary marinade in a bacon crust.
Pumpkin-cauliflower mousse and salad with balsamic glace on the side.

It tasted pretty good even though it was hard to cook the meat and bacon to perfection due to our weird oven. More mustard next time and maybe a couple small potatoes. I'm happy with the result. 7/10

Attachments

• IMG_20211111_170552.jpg
    IMG_20211111_170552.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 25
Tonight I tried something new: pork filet with mustard-rosemary marinade in a bacon crust.
Pumpkin-cauliflower mousse and salad with balsamic glace on the side.

It tasted pretty good even though it was hard to cook the meat and bacon to perfection due to our weird oven. More mustard next time and maybe a couple small potatoes. I'm happy with the result. 7/10
Welcome to DC.

Your meal looks and sounds wonderful.

Oh, my CG! You must have thought about giving up or turning around at least once or twice!?

Several times, Ginny! The first time was when Himself asked if I packed HIS diabetes meds. Mind you I never noticed them in the fridge. He has always checked the cooler to make sure they're there. Not this time.. but it's my fault. [emoji849] I was also ready to turn around with the first night reservation snafu. Then his test kit was left behind in the hotel room. Oy yoy yoy! But we pushed on and are now safely south of Orlando. Our resort home will look so good tomorrow!

Happy birthday to your hubby. Nice dinner.

Several times, Ginny! The first time was when Himself asked if I packed HIS diabetes meds. Mind you I never noticed them in the fridge. He has always checked the cooler to make sure they're there. Not this time.. but it's my fault. [emoji849] I was also ready to turn around with the first night reservation snafu. Then his test kit was left behind in the hotel room. Oy yoy yoy! But we pushed on and are now safely south of Orlando. Our resort home will look so good tomorrow!

Happy birthday to your hubby. Nice dinner.

Thanks CG & I'll pass along the wishes!

I have to say, been there, done that...well, almost. I remember a camping trip a couple of years back when DH insisted that I not pre-pack his meds. Then they did not make it to the RV at all. And then, last year, his wallet and stuff didn't make it to the RV. Both seemed to revolve around ME!!

Back
Top Bottom