What's on the menu Friday 7/20/2018?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, that's it.. The brand I found in a chain store here is DaVinci, imported from Italy... The only such product I have run across in my 7 years living in MO..

Its shape is as Cheryl linked to above.. Since, at least the 70's, that shape has been our go-to macaroni shape for mac salad.. I'm not 100% certain but one of the brands I believe I always bought was American Beauty.. I think the shape is more popular in the west..

This may seem silly but, to me, it just isn't mac salad if the shape is not the same.. :wacko:

Ross
To me plain old mac salad pasta has always been around here boring elbow macaroni. I use small shells that trap the goodies inside.
I only use ditalini pasta for Pasta Fagioli.

Last edited:
The refried beans turned out good. They did need a bit more salt.

DD's went to Barnes and Noble after work and decided they wanted take out. So KFC chicken pot pie was my dinner. :mellow::(
I guess enchiladas tomorrow.

Last edited:
Split bone-in chicken breasts on the charcoal Weber, wild rice blend with bacon and mushrooms (one of Mrs. T's faves) in the Zoji, green salad. The bacon is applewood smoked bacon from the deli at one supermarket. I freeze individual slices in ziploc snack bags, but the smoke is so strong that I can smell it when I open the larger bag in the freezer holding the smaller bags. It really permeates the rice dish.

Got the pasta machine out and had cacio e pepe...cherry tomato salad..

Attachments

• 37536373_10155511280337401_4621777366211887104_n.jpg
    37536373_10155511280337401_4621777366211887104_n.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 131
Shakshuka with kefta (lamb) meatballs and khobz.

Attachments

• 2018-07-20 20.12.48.jpg
    2018-07-20 20.12.48.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 106
We had salads and BLTs. I had a large salad and whole-grain multi-grain bread; Himself had a smaller salad and sourdough bread. Guess which one of us is next up for a doctor's appointment? :LOL:

Yes, that's it.. The brand I found in a chain store here is DaVinci, imported from Italy... The only such product I have run across in my 7 years living in MO..

Its shape is as Cheryl linked to above.. Since, at least the 70's, that shape has been our go-to macaroni shape for mac salad.. I'm not 100% certain but one of the brands I believe I always bought was American Beauty.. I think the shape is more popular in the west..

This may seem silly but, to me, it just isn't mac salad if the shape is not the same.. :wacko:

Ross
Oh, my mistake - I thought you were talking about two different shapes. Have you looked for it at Walmart or Target?

I know what you mean about a particular shape for a particular dish. Some people think pasta is just pasta, but the shapes do affect the flavor - they interact differently with different sauces and other ingredients. I use ditalini in minestrone soup.

Is there a TJ Maxx near you? They have all kinds of interesting pasta shapes that we don't often see in the United States. I have a couple where the packaging is all in French and Italian. They're a little more expensive but I think they're worth it.

Last edited:
To clarify, Feta is generally made with goat and/or sheep milk.

Cotija is made with cow's milk. Personally, I can't stand cheese made with anything but cow's milk. Cotija is a delicious substitute for Feta. ;)
True. The texture, crumbliness and saltiness are similar. Feta has a more funky flavor while cotija is more milky.

Oh, my mistake - I thought you were talking about two different shapes. Have you looked for it at Walmart or Target?

I know what you mean about a particular shape for a particular dish. Some people think pasta is just pasta, but the shapes do affect the flavor - they interact differently with different sauces and other ingredients. I use ditalini in minestrone soup.

Is there a TJ Maxx near you? They have all kinds of interesting pasta shapes that we don't often see in the United States. I have a couple where the packaging is all in French and Italian. They're a little more expensive but I think they're worth it.
Exactly....

While not obsessing about it, I have looked for salad macaroni in most every store around here when I had a craving for mac salad. I am pleased that I have found the DaVinci brand locally.. It is double the cost of what I am used to but, that's ok as, my cravings are less for the salad than when I was younger..

Ross

You are so right about shape. Big macaroni is good for thick sauces like meat sauce with large ingredients and to trap goodies inside. Long pasta like spaghetti and linguine are good for thinner or plain (without added larger ingredients) sauces like tomato sauce and alfredo that cling to the pasta.

I don't make minestrone soup often but when I do I also use ditalini pasta.

Back
Top Bottom