What's the most bogus thing in your cupboard, freezer, or refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TATTRAT said:
Imitation Bacon Bits....I don't even know where they came from!

Imitation and bacon, two words that should NEVER be in the same sentence!

Oh....I forgot about these things. DH came home from the store with them. YUCK! I need to run in there and throw those out while I'm thinking about it. Those I can def. waste.

the peanut butter..

mudbug said:
Bogus is in the eye of the beholder. I use canned and instant anything when it suits my purpose and from scratch when that suits my purpose. licia is right.

Most of the "bad" stuff in my cupboards is just plain old - coupla cans of whole cranberry sauce that never got used some T-giving ago.

A tupperware container full of tea bags that have to be ancient.

Held onto part of a package of dried lasagna noodles like they were my first concert tshirt and finally just threw 'em away.

Maybe you'll find this bogus - four jars of peanut butter, all opened.

Are they on a pantry shelf, or in the fridge? I ask because I was raised with the Skippy (it was always Skippy, never got to taste any other brand till I moved out...) kept in the fridge. If you wanted to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich you either had to plan 2 hours ahead, or rip your bread to shreds.

As far as the term 'bogus' goes, I hope you don't think I'm adopting a holier than thou attitude at what people have or cook or anything like that. If I offended you or anyone else who posted to this, then I do apologize as that was surely not my intention.

would that I had your soy sauce.

vagriller said:
We used to have a bunch of packets of soy and duck sauce in the fridge from chinese takeout. I don't know why we saved them. Then I went to the in laws house and saw the sandwich bag stuffed with fast food ketchup, mustard, soy, and duck sauce packets and the light bulb went on!

Yes, I used to have the same drawer stuffed full of packets. Had it for years. Then, after the kitchen heating up in the summer, and being chilly in the winter, and heating up again after yet another season I surmised that those packets had to be harbouring poison so I tossed them. The other night I had take out sushi and they didn't supply enough soy sauce. I had no bottle on the shelf and searched in vain for a few of those poisoned packets, hoping one or two had missed the search and seizure of several years ago.

BreezyCooking said:
Since "bogus" , according to my Webster's Dictionary, is an adjective meaning "false, not genuine", not one single thing I have in my pantry fits that description.

The Surimi (pollock imitation crabmeat) doesn't claim to be real crabmeat, & the many cans of "Mock Duck" & other forms of seitan/wheat gluten I have also don't claim to be what they imitate.

In fact, frankly, in this day & age, food producers aren't allowed to sell anything "bogus". Just semantics, maybe - but perhaps you meant something else? :chef:

It wasn't really meant to be dissected by Webster or Miriam or anything like that. Seems most people got the general idea without being insulted or slighted. No big deal if the thought wasn't clear enough for all to get.

Mr Hand

ironchef said:
'Bug, I think you're thinking of Bill and Ted?

Sean Penn used the word during the at home history lesson Mr. Hand subjected him to before he could go to the dance.

Something like "that was bogus, and if we don't get some cool laws soon, then we'll be bogus, too".

vagriller said:
Then I went to the in laws house and saw the sandwich bag stuffed with fast food ketchup, mustard, soy, and duck sauce packets and the light bulb went on!

holy crap! they produce electricity!?!?

i knew i was on to something, saving all of those little packets all of those years...

and 'bug, the fbi says to stop sending me threatening letters using japanese characters made from children's ramen noodles. you can't say #$%^ you with "hello kitty" figures, no matter how hard you try...

TATTRAT said:
Imitation Bacon Bits....I don't even know where they came from!

Imitation and bacon, two words that should NEVER be in the same sentence!
Wow. I won't even give my dog immitation bacon.

Oh, and actually the most bogus thing I've decided must be the big plastic carton of cotten candy. Yes, I bought cotten candy from the grocery store.

BreezyCooking said:
(pollock imitation crabmeat) doesn't claim to be real crabmeat, :chef:

having a son who is 1/4 polish, i am offended by your reference of fake crabmeat. i am often fooled by imitation meats, but i haven't felt a need to insult an entire nation over it (with the possible exception of the capital of austria, and their disgusting sausages.. sorry licia).

Okay, I have to intervene here before there's a rash of Pollock jokes...And no, that doesn't mean that imitation crab gives one a rash; it's just an expression...

I have lots of bogus stuff in the cupboard...Ancient boxes of cold cereal and petrified cake mixes that my dh bought and no one ever ate or prepared and baked. Gotta start moving those toward the garbage can. DH has a fear of scanty provisions and loves to be surrounded by mounds of dry goods. He got a lot of the Great Depression speeches growing up, I think. And we have those little condiment packets, too, and tons of teas that were samples from hopeful vendors who wanted us to carry them. Tea loses a bit of flavor after several years have passed!

Isn't pollack the actual name for the "imitation crabmeat", and having nothing to do with Polish people? I don't eat it so don't know much about it except what I've seen on the package. I only eat crab at a seafood restaurant.

licia said:
Isn't pollack the actual name for the "imitation crabmeat", and having nothing to do with Polish people

Now we're just fish!??!?!? :ohmy: :LOL: :ohmy: :ROFLMAO:

I'm joking, I'm joking!!

John

I was just kidding VeraBlue - not offended. It's just that I looked through my fridge & cupboards & couldn't find anything that really claimed to be something it wasn't. : )

Banana Brain said:
Wow. I won't even give my dog immitation bacon.

But what about real bacon, I thought you don't even eat that? But I wouldn't give them to my dog either, the garbage can seemed to enjoy them though.:)

BreezyCooking said:
I was just kidding VeraBlue - not offended. It's just that I looked through my fridge & cupboards & couldn't find anything that really claimed to be something it wasn't. : )

You want my spaghetti-os? :sick::ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom