Favorite Bottle Of Wine Under $10?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So there are a bunch or good wines under $10. But the one I keep coming back to as a regular nipper is a white Spanish Rioja, viunu grape, a bit acidic, fruity, very much like a pinot gris. Marques de Caseres.
I know absolutely nothing about wine (just what I think tastes good or not), but I always have a bottle of Marques de Caseres Rioja in my house. I can get it regularly at Sam's for $10.00 and it always pleases me.

Riesling from Oliver Winery in Indiana. most of their wine is crap... the Riesling is very nice with crisp apple overtones.... About $8 a bottle...

I'm so jealous, Caine. We live in, as I said, a very rural area. Our biggest retailers are Sam's Club and Wal-Mart. No such thing as Trader Joe's (I wish.). Moved here from the Washington, D.C. area where so many things were easily available. Oh, well, that's life.

Check out Geerlings & Wade for mail order wines. Also a good place to shop if you don't have much of a selection at your local store.

I'm sure someone can figure out the shipping restriction.:cool:

Last edited:
I have never been one of those who could actually taste any fruit or wood or whatever flavor was supposed to be in a certain wine.
I was not a fan of white or red wines, kinda floated by as a blush or zinfendel drinker.
I tried a Sutter Homes White Merlot. It was basicly a red wine, but for the first time ever I could actually taste the fruit in the wine. I absolutely love it, and it is $8.99 a bottle.
Has anyone else tasted a White Merlot?

I have never been one of those who could actually taste any fruit or wood or whatever flavor was supposed to be in a certain wine.
I was not a fan of white or red wines, kinda floated by as a blush or zinfendel drinker.
I tried a Sutter Homes White Merlot. It was basicly a red wine, but for the first time ever I could actually taste the fruit in the wine. I absolutely love it, and it is $8.99 a bottle.
Has anyone else tasted a White Merlot?
Thanks Renee, I will definitely try this one.

2 bottles of Taylors Port for under 10$!!!
good for you, if you can drink that! About 30 years ago it just about rotted out my insides. can't even look at it any more! :rolleyes:

It looks to me as though some of you live in places where the only place you can shop for wine is shops like Walmart and Costco. While you may be able to get inexpensive wines there, many of them are not good qpr. Many mass produced wines are pretty awful, quality-wise. Some of them have sugar added to please the American palate for sweet stuff! so if you can get to a store that really specializes in wine, and ask about the GOOD inexpensive wines and try a few, you might be pleasantly surprised.

OTOH, if Costco's all you've got, it's better than nothing... :ermm:

Check out Geerlings & Wade for mail order wines. Also a good place to shop if you don't have much of a selection at your local store.

I'm sure someone can figure out the shipping restriction.:cool:
If you can order wine from out of state, consider checking out The Wine Library.
Because the store does such a high volume of business (one of the largest in the USA) they are able to offer wines at much better prices than smaller shops. And their yearly sales are truly incredible!

Some mass produced wines are excellent and some are not. The trick is knowing the difference.

Costco actually has a selection of wines ranging from less than $10 a bottle to more expensive stuff that runs up to $50 a bottle.

If you develop a taste for wines and know what you like and learn about vineyards and grapes, Costco can be a good source of wine at very good prices.

The selections and prices are different at each Costco.

thunderbird.jpg
YAHOO!!! I'll take TWO bottles! :LOL:

Even in cities where there aren’t Gourmet Wine shops, they all usually have an ABC store or a package (liquor) store that carries wine. In my town, there is at least one specialty wine shop I can think of, many package stores with a staggering selection of wine, and of course the Wal-Marts, Targets, etc.

However, one of my favorite wines is a peach desert wine that comes from the Monteagle Winery in Tennessee, but it’s $15.00 per bottle and doesn’t qualify for this thread.

For a bottle under $10, I love most of the Yellow Tail wines, especially the Shiraz.

Last edited:
For a bottle under $10, I love most of the Yellow Tail wines, especially the Shiraz.
Keltin, fwiw, Yellowtail wines are different in USA than in OZ.... for the US market, they add SUGAR to the wines! :ohmy:

In the same price range, Lindeman's, Rosemount low end and Banrock Station are all much better made wines.

Keltin, fwiw, Yellowtail wines are different in USA than in OZ.... for the US market, they add SUGAR to the wines! :ohmy:

In the same price range, Lindeman's, Rosemount low end and Banrock Station are all much better made wines.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.:cool:

McGuigan's Black Label
Hardy's R&R - Merlot
Devil's Creek (great when your in the mood for it)
I have a couple other ones but I can't remember the names at the moment...

Ripple and Manichevitz hehehe NOT!!! Actually, I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I've heard that a glass of red wine helps your heart. Is Lambrusco a red wine?

Sorry no. The only one I'm familiar with here is not a good one! It's the stuff that young girls drink when they want to be a cheap drunk. Or it was when I was a girl - not that I was a cheap drunk I might (very quickly) add!!!!

I am about 15 mins from the Swan Valley and my brother lives in Busselton so we are surrounded by vineyards and cellar doors, so we don't usually go into liquor stores very often in our family. Tend to not buy below the A$15 price point as a rule cos while there are some very good cheapies, unless you really know your wines, you can get some real shockers. Above A$15, in my experience, is a bit more reliable. There are quite a few cheap cleanskins though that are good value, but you just don't know who you are drinking. Some of those are very good for under A$10, but it is a lucky dip.

I don't really drink much .. usually only once a year .. New Year's Eve!! LoL And then, it's just a glass of Champagne. If the health stuff wasn't just with the RED, I'd drink the champagne, I love it. No chance of there being a red champagne, huh? :)

Back
Top Bottom