Root Beer - Your favorite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Anyone have favorite brand of root beer? Saw segment on tv about Gale's Root beer that she makes it. Anyone had this root beer? Shame that most sodas are diet. Always proving that not the best choice is diet. I always can taste the difference between regular and diet soda.

Stevens Point Brewery (central WI) makes Point Root Beer that is delicious. Even their diet isn't very "diety". Their root beer is actually what has made them the longest, continually running brewery as during prohibition they continued to brew and bottle the root beer. They also make a cream soda and an orange that are wonderful!

Barq's from New Orleans. Zatarain's also makes a concentrate that you can make yourself. My grandmother us to make this for me all the time. I love the stuff. She would also add a little lemon to it. It really intensifies the taste.

I don't buy soda at all for the family at home. I myself drink my 3 cups of coffee in the morning and than it's ice water the rest of the day. If I go out to eat I either have unsweetened ice tea (if I'm familiar with the restaurant and I know it's not old) or a root beer (if it's Barq's only). Otherwise I'll have a small size Dr. Pepper and large glass of water.
So it's Barq's for me.

I love A&W's, Barq's, and Stewart's. Barq's is what we most frequently get though so that is our no. 1 choice.

I remember the A&W stand as a kid.. that was some good root beer.
Then my favorite brand for a long time was Frostie's.
Now, I think it is IBC, but I drink more A&W because it is more common.
Thank goodness their diet is good too!

A lot of the mircobrewries do a root beer over the weekend. Many are quite good. I's also with Stewarts, A & W, and IBC. Richbrau in Richmond is one of the good micro root beers.

holy ancient thread bump.. . . .

while it's TTT, here is a short list of faves:

My short list of faves:

Weinhard
Capt'n Eli
Sprecher
Saranac

I like the root beer and sarsaparilla has an almost cult like following, and appreciation now. I LOVE a good, well rounded, slightly spicy, yet creamy and easy going root beer.

holy ancient thread bump.. . . .
No kiddin'...

Ok, I'll play. A&W is my all-time favorite root beer, but ONLY if we can turn back the clock 40 years or so. Back then it was not nearly as acidic and carbonated as it is now, nor did it contain high fructose corn syrup. Plus they served it in those great frosty glass mugs. The mugs were so cold that the foam from the root beer would freeze around the rim of the glass. Those were the days.

Today's A&W is completely lacking compared to the way it used to be.

oh man, i remember those old frosty mugs, and the foam freezing a little.

i'm not sure if it's just ajersey thing, but i like stewarts root beer, but only from a tap at one of their shops. the bottled stuff is lacking.

the best birch and root beer i've had recently was in amish country in southern pennsylvania. i don't know the brand, but boy was it good!

now i want a root beer float. frosty mug, good root beer, and a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. yum!

never tried root beer until a week or so ago.bought a bottle of franks in tesco.said it was made in sweden,4.5%abv & contained stuff like wintergreen herb,vanilla & licourice.smelt a bit like the liniment i used to rub on me sore bits after playing rugby & tasted a bit like it too(we'd drink anything after a match:wacko:!).that'd be the wintergreen i suppose.is that how it's meant to taste or isn't franks any good?

never tried root beer until a week or so ago.bought a bottle of franks in tesco.said it was made in sweden,4.5%abv & contained stuff like wintergreen herb,vanilla & licourice.smelt a bit like the liniment i used to rub on me sore bits after playing rugby & tasted a bit like it too(we'd drink anything after a match:wacko:!).that'd be the wintergreen i suppose.is that how it's meant to taste or isn't franks any good?

Well, the root beer here in the states has no Abv, is it isn't an abv. . .it is just a "pop"/Soda.

It's a lot like explaining the difference between ginger beer, and ginger ale to folks that don't know. . .just because there is "beer' in the title, it only refers to the brewing, not booze. . .

People get cross when I describe a Dark, and Stormy. . .Ginger Beer is mandatory, but people seem to think it is double booze, but it's not. Ginger beer is to ginger ale, what Root Beer is to. . .well, whatever Root Beer is without any character. . . If that makes any sense. . .

Last edited:
that's a different sort of animal, harry.

american root beer is just a type of soda pop, no alcohol.

Well, the root beer here in the states has no Abv, is it isn't an abv. . .it is just a "pop"/Soda.

It's a lot like explaining the difference between ginger beer, and ginger ale to folks that don't know. . .just because there is "beer' in the title, it only refers to the brewing, not booze. . .

People get cross when I describe a Dark, and Stormy. . .Ginger Beer is mandatory, but people seem to think it is double booze, but it's not. Ginger beer is to ginger ale, what Root Beer is to. . .well, whatever Root Beer is without any character. . . If that makes any sense. . .

that's a different sort of animal, harry.

american root beer is just a type of soda pop, no alcohol.
ah hah!! thanks chaps.i'll take a look at soft drinks section next time i'm in tesco.ginger beer/ale is a/are fav's of bro' bolas & mine.we used to make it (or is it grow it?) at home when we were kids.crabbies,which is one of the oldest alcoholic ginger beer brewers over here,have brought out their "reserve" version.....rocket fuel!!
tom,you should try the swedish version....you being a viking and all;)!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom