Cooling leftovers to safe temperatures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it was still a bit warm in the middle of the pot after an hour or two, so I doubt it passed the ServSafe test.

However, it was fairly acidic, so no worries, even with the meats therein.

Plus, I believe that some dirt, cat or dog hair, and alcohol/pot is good for you. So there's that. :cool:

But only for me and mine. When I used to cater my dept's holiday party, I bleached the hell out of everything before and during cooking just to be sure everything was safe, even for the weakest stomachs.

I made jenny and gg look like cavewomen in comparison.

Last edited:
Kind of makes you wonder how homo sapiens managed to survive for countless millennia without proper guidelines from the government.

Yeah... it's a puzzle.

Same goes for food safety. I follow common sense food safety practices, but I know that there is no way I can completely eliminate any possibility of getting sick from my food. I just try to keep the risk to a low level.

I don't want to jump through hoops to get my fully cooked food from 140 to 40 in 20 minutes, or throw it away. I have OCD, but that is even too OCD for me.

I have no doubt someone will disagree. But, I read this post to my dog, and he had nothing negative to say. He's a pretty smart dog. :smartass:

CD

My dog agrees with your dog. But then he will pick things up in his mouth that I don't even want to look at, so I'm not sure if I should take his word for it. :ermm:

Keep in mind that a hot DO full of liquid also acts as a fridge heater, especially for CI fans like you. If you don't already have one, you might want to get a fridge thermometer to see what this does to your fridge temp. I have Thermoworks thermometers in both the fridge and freezer, just to monitor the temps. They're not very expensive.

You can reduce your electric bill (and do some good for the planet) by cooling the DO in water in the sink first.

I don't think I've ever put a dutch oven or ceramic crock in the fridge with hot food in it. I break leftovers down in smaller containers, but I don't worry about cooling them off before I put them in the fridge. I've even read somewhere in the past, possibly on this forum, that it's better to put hot leftovers straight into the refrigerator than to let them cool for a while first, because they will pass through the "danger zone" quicker that way.

In any event, I try to follow reasonable food safety practices without getting too anal about it. Believe it or not, the government has lots of "recommendations" in all areas of our lives, and sometimes they actually make some sense, but many of them are head scratchers. After all, the bureaucracy has to keep finding ways to justify its existence. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's only in the last century or so that we've become devout bacteriophobes.

That's because it's only in the last century and a half that germs were discovered and the germ theory of disease was developed accepted. Before that, people thought disease was caused by "miasmas," demons, witches and unbalanced "humors" in the body.

I am certainly not a "devout bacteriophobe." That kind of extreme language is not very persuasive.

That's because it's only in the last century and a half that germs were discovered and the germ theory of disease was developed accepted. Before that, people thought disease was caused by "miasmas," demons, witches and unbalanced "humors" in the body.

I am certainly not a "devout bacteriophobe." That kind of extreme language is not very persuasive.

Holy crap. Get off of it already. I have.

Tell me GG, why is it you feel you always have to be the smartest person in the room, or have the last word on everything? Were you neglected as a child? It gets very old. You have this knack for sucking all the fun out of a thread by constantly arguing with people. Just a suggestion, but maybe at some point you might try having some fun here like everyone else. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Keep in mind that a hot DO full of liquid also acts as a fridge heater, especially for CI fans like you. If you don't already have one, you might want to get a fridge thermometer to see what this does to your fridge temp. I have Thermoworks thermometers in both the fridge and freezer, just to monitor the temps. They're not very expensive.

You can reduce your electric bill (and do some good for the planet) by cooling the DO in water in the sink first.

I guess I should be more clear. I don't go from simmering on the cooktop to fridge in one step. By the time I have eaten, the food has cooled. I prefer to move the food to a plastic storage container to put in the fridge. But, sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

CD

Yeah... it's a puzzle.

My dog agrees with your dog. But then he will pick things up in his mouth that I don't even want to look at, so I'm not sure if I should take his word for it. :ermm:

I don't think I've ever put a dutch oven or ceramic crock in the fridge with hot food in it. I break leftovers down in smaller containers, but I don't worry about cooling them off before I put them in the fridge.

My dog asked me to let you all know she doesn't care what it is, the temp or how long it's been out - she'll gobble it down. ;)Sometimes she gets a bit gassy, :ermm:.

With most fridges now-a-days having glass shelves, anyone putting a dutch oven or ceramic crock in the fridge with hot food in it deserves the cost of replacing the cracked shelf!

Luckily, during the fall, spring and winter months - I just put them out in the porch to cool off - by morning they are ready to portion out and freeze - or whatever.

My dog asked me to let you all know she doesn't care what it is, the temp or how long it's been out - she'll gobble it down. ;)Sometimes she gets a bit gassy, :ermm:.

With most fridges now-a-days having glass shelves, anyone putting a dutch oven or ceramic crock in the fridge with hot food in it deserves the cost of replacing the cracked shelf!

Luckily, during the fall, spring and winter months - I just put them out in the porch to cool off - by morning they are ready to portion out and freeze - or whatever.

What can I say, I walk under ladders and and open umbrellas in the house. I don't run with scissors, but sometimes I run with a really pointy fork. :ermm:

The DO is not THAT hot, and I put a dish towel under it. Like I said, it is not my preferred method of food storage, I only mentioned it as an example of my recklessness that I have somehow survived.

Now, excuse me, I left a jar of mayo in the car last week, and I'm going to need it to make dinner. BRB.

CD :angel:

Attachments

• CASE_CLOSED.jpg
    CASE_CLOSED.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 138
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom