Using Hot Tap Water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
but i think i'm more likely to have a mineral deficiency than an excess.

Since the same water as comes out the cold tap is what goes into the water heater, and the water heater obviously precipitates out some calcium and magnesium, logically, you get more of the minerals from the cold tap. Not that they're any problem. The mineral content of public water varies a lot more than any possible difference between taps.

And you know the popular notion that one of the problems with ancient Rome was their lad plumbing. Seems it is unlikely to be the plumbing. For one thing, lacking faucets, the water ran pretty much continuously, giving it little time to pick up lead. (Thus the modern advice for lead pipe people to run the water for a while before using it.) And it's limestone country, which means heavily calcium carbonate lining the pipes. (We have the same kind of water, and old iron pipes are often found with only a tiny open channel.)

The Romans did indeed have a lead problem, but it was from the lead alloy linings of copper vessels (and wine was sweetened with grape juice concentrated by boiling in pure lead vessels) and the lead content of cosmetics, a problem that existed into the 20th century.

glc,you are such a wellspring of knowledge on any number of vast topics raised here at dc! you seem always to have lots of interesting background and complimentary information to offer about the subjects. so nice to have someone like you around..... :)

Thanks. Just because you're full of useless knowledge, doesn't mean you can't find some place to unload it. It's like teaching university. They don't really care about it, but if you can make it interesting, they'll pay attention.

GLC said:
Thanks. Just because you're full of useless knowledge, doesn't mean you can't find some place to unload it. It's like teaching university. They don't really care about it, but if you can make it interesting, they'll pay attention.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't remember the pro's and con's to the instant hot water system. I do remember that they were pretty equal on the balance.
My son looked into it as their water heater and kitchen are far from each other. In his case the con's far outweighed the pro's. Expense not being just one of them.
My advise is to research it fully and carefully.

A plumber friend of mine would have gotten one except for the initial expense. He wasn't at all concerned with quality/performance.

I do remember both my son and I were very surprised at the initial expense. Wish I could remember the other points but it is definitely not for everyone.

I recently had a remodel moving the sink further from the hot water heater (Tank style) . The run is now much longer than the 10 feet or so the sink moved. I wish to get hot water to sink and dishwasher (co-located) much quicker to avoid waste and time. Is a small tankless heater near the sink the answer? Or, I've heard of recirculation pumps etc. If a tankless heater is the the best choice, What size? (I will keep my tank heater) The water lines are all indoor or in heated crawlspace from Hot water heater (tank). I presume a small one since I only want instant hot water for a short time. It would need to be electric. The lines are primarily the red and blue plastic type for the new section. Thanks for your advice.
Please ask your plumber about a "recirculating" pump for the hot water. We put one in our house and mom's too. Up here in the PNW, the pipes can get pretty darn cold in the winter, even insulated and the pump makes all the difference! Hot water is probably quicker than in Instant Hot (have one of those too, but in the RV).

Back
Top Bottom